The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Qualifying for USDF's SHB Region Championship Finals

I have two questions regarding the Sport Horse Breeding classes offered by the USDF. I'm interested in campaigning my two year in the series for the rest of the year.

1. Qualifying. It seems clear that one must qualify for the region finals, but it is unclear in the information I have found just how that is done. Is it by score or placements? How many shows does this need to be done at? If it makes a difference, this is for Region 7 (California).

2. Memberships. What organizations do I need to join so that the performances count towards going to finals? CDS? USDF? Both? Who needs to be registered? Myself or just the colt? I will be the handler and owner. I rather only do one or the other, if possible. Both the colt and I are already registered with USEF.

Thank you!

Bumping up.

Quote Originally Posted by SuZQuzie View Post
    I have two questions regarding the Sport Horse Breeding classes offered by the USDF. I'm interested in campaigning my two year in the series for the rest of the year.

1. Qualifying. It seems clear that one must qualify for the region finals, but it is unclear in the information I have found just how that is done. Is it by score or placements? How many shows does this need to be done at? If it makes a difference, this is for Region 7 (California).
    For the USDFBC series, you have to place in the Championships class at a qualifying show. That is, the Filly Championships (Filly Champion, Reserve Filly Champion, or if those 2 fillies have qualified already, the 3rd place horse) Colt Championships, or each of the Mature Horse Championships (eg, Mare or Stallion). To get to these Championships at each show, you have to place 1st or 2nd in your age/sex related class (eg, yearling fillies, 2 year old fillies). In the Championship class (eg, fillies) they pick the top 2 fillies (regardless of age) -- those will have qualified for the year end USDFBC Series Final.

For that USDFBC regional final , you only need to qualify once (but could qualify for more than once).

For USDF HOY awards, you need 3 scores from 2 separate shows and 2 judges.

Quote Originally Posted by SuZQuzie View Post

2. Memberships. What organizations do I need to join so that the performances count towards going to finals? CDS? USDF? Both? Who needs to be registered? Myself or just the colt? I will be the handler and owner. I rather only do one or the other, if possible. Both the colt and I are already registered with USEF.

Thank you!
    Not sure if region 7 is different, but for Region 1, I only need to be a member of USDF and USEF. Horse is also a member of both (but I do this just because -- I think that you only really have to have a # with USDF for the horse and owner and a HID from USEF -- but I could be wrong since I automatically renew my memberships each year).

PS - I am doing this from my memory - so it is best for you also to re-review the rule book.

What Edgewood said.

Also, in my region -- Region 8, New England and NY -- if you get a 77% or above in one of the qualifying classes, you qualify. Check your regional finals' prizelist to see if it's the same for you.

Also, if you've qualified, bring your qulalifying score sheet or show results to the finals. Two years in a row I've been told my mare wasn't qualified for the class -- and two years in a row she's won it!

Check with the secretary, make sure your horse is on the list if you know you've qualified, and do so early enough that the secretary can call USDF to confirm. Often, show secretaries are late to send results to USDF, which results in problems like this.

PS -- In Region 8 you need to be a member of USDF and USEF.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Here's how it's spelled out in the Region 8 Finals prizelist:

GREAT AMERICAN INSURANCE GROUP / USDF BREEDERS CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES NEW ENGLAND FINAL
    Entry Fee for each Championship Class: $65 / No Prize Money.

Horses entering these classes must have won Champion or Reserve Champion (note if Champion / Reserve are already qualified third place eligible to compete in Finals) at one of the designated Qualifying Shows in the New England Series and must have an invitation letter from USDF to enter. Per a new rule in 2009, Horses receiving 77% or better in a qualifying class are automatically qualified for these championships. Horses from a Series not hosting a Final may enter without re-qualifying in the New England Series. All horses must have USDF Lifetime Horse Registration and owner(s) must be current USDF Participating or Business member.
    Kendra

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

One more thing: check your Finals' closing date for entries. It may be before a qualifying show. In other words, entries for the finals may close before a qualifying show is held. If this is the case, you may want to enter the finals anyway, in hopes that you may qualify, although that entry fee would likely not be refunded should you not qualify.

Complicated enough for ya?
    Kendra

Thanks to everyone.

So, at the show, I enter in the regular 2-year-old colts and geldings class. If he does well there, he moves onto the championship class at that show. Got it.

I FINALLY found something for Region 7 obscurely hidden within a premium for a show earlier this year.

Each qualifying event must offer a Filly Championship class, a colt/Gelding Championship class, a Mare Championship class and a Stallion Championship class. These classes are USDFBC qualifying classes. The champion and reserve champion in each of these four classes, from each series qualifying event, are eligible to compete in their respective USDFBC series final class. A third place horse in each series qualifying championship class must be named as well. If the champion, reserve or both have already
    qualified for the series final class, the third place horse will also be invited to compete in the series final class. In addition, any other horse receiving a 77% or better in its age/sex class will be eligible to compete in the final class (Effective: 2009 competition year).
    As for memberships, based on what you two are saying and what I have found, I need a participating membership and the colt needs a lifetime membership. No CDS required.

Regarding the closing date, I just saw that! Both the shows I'm planning on attended are before that closing date, but I may go to a third if he isn't already qualified and I think he could still qualify. (I'm not going to waste my time/money if the judges just don't think he is that nice.)

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    What Edgewood said.

Also, in my region -- Region 8, New England and NY -- if you get a 77% or above in one of the qualifying classes, you qualify. Check your regional finals' prizelist to see if it's the same for you.
    Yes, I forgot about that new rule about the 77%. That is only for the past several years and that is also for Region 1 too -- I think for all regions...
    Last edited by Edgewood; Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

Because of the closing date issue, I would email the Championship secretary (now - before she is inundated) and ask her if horses that qualify after the closing date will be accepted. (and the penalty cost). I think most shows will allow late entry for chamionship classes.

And if the response is positive, save the email, print it out and put it in your show file or with his papers.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

To ahf, in the premium for the Region 7 Championships, it says that late entries are accepted for championship entries that qualified after the closing date.

Suzie, are any of these shows local to me? I'd love to come photograph

Suzie -

We competed in the DSHB 2 year old colts class last year here in California.

I had the following:
    CDS
    USEF - Myself
    USEF LHR
    USDF - Participating
    USDF LHR
    OLDNA - current membership and breed declaration for year end awards.

In order to qualify for the championships, you have to win Champion or Reserve at a show, or have a minimum score of 77%. You can qualify more than once.

We had a lot of fun at the championships in Burbank in October. We finished up the year 15th in the nation for USDF HOY, 4th for OLDNA and received year end awards from CDS.

My boy

From the USDF page:
    Membership/Registration Requirements for Final Events
    Horse: USDF Lifetime Horse Registration (LHR)
    Owner: USDF Participating Membership (PM) or USDF Business Membership (BM)
    Handler: Exempt
    USEF Membership is not required, but non-member fees apply.
    Verification of USDF Participating or Business membership and Lifetime Horse Registration must be
    provided to management prior to the series final class.
    Please note that when qualifying classes are held prior to the final classes at the series final event, it is the
    exhibitor’s responsibility to apply for, or provide proof of, proper memberships and horse registrations to
    competition manager prior to the final class.

For year end HOY and All Breed awards, you have to have a median score of AT LEAST 65% from at least 3 shows. Here is that info.
    http://www.usdf.org/awards/all-breed...all-breeds.asp
    Cloverfox Stables

Do Materiale classes also count for qualifying or just inhand classes? We are going for 3 shows both in Materiale and inhand but wasn't sure how the under saddle stuff works. Our filly at her first materiale show scored a 77.7% would that mean she qualifies for championship? (she is USEF and USDF registered).
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Just in hand for the GAIG Breeders' Championships, though I think there are year-end awards for Materiale both with the USDF and AHS (not sure of other registries).
    Kendra