The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Burning manure pile

Can anyone point me to any studies/articles about why it's bad to burn your manure pile? A neighbor has done this occasionally and it's not a pleasant smell. But now neighbor is burning the soiled shavings from a big bunny hutch, and it is just foul. Smoke has my eyes stinging & throat sore - can't possibly be good for the horses out in their pastures. I texted her and said she's welcome to throw the soiled bunny shavings on our manure pile next time instead of burning them. Now I've probably pissed her off, but that smoke is just awful

Lots of cultures burn manure for heat, so can't see why burning your manure pile would be a prob.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Be aware that Cedar shavings don't compost well. If your neighbor is using Cedar, you might offer her a share of your next load of pine shavings for the bunnies. Bulk shavings are less expensive. You both benefit.

Yes cultures have burned dry manure. But dry manure is not the same as fresh manure or even semi-dry manure mixed with bedding and urine.

HOWEVER. I have burned manure piles in the past, more like a slow ember that was called The Eternal Flame, and while the smell isn't rosy, it didn't kill anyone, no one got sick and the horses didn't care. The dogs rolling in the ash kinda sucked...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I thought we were talking about accidental combustion.....

My Grandma did that one time, burning trash...well was dry (drought year of 1976) the only thing that saved the day was the neighbor having liquid cow poop in the tank, ready to go....

but seriously, burning manure is no different than burning paper or sticks or leaves.

I've had some neighbors in the past that I would have loved to have burned the manure pile but I figured the smoke would probably blow toward the neighbor's I really liked.
    Plus I think it would have been illegal where I am.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    My Grandma did that one time, burning trash...well was dry (drought year of 1976) the only thing that saved the day was the neighbor having liquid cow poop in the tank, ready to go....
    LOL!
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

western cedar gives off a toxic smoke when burned-if the pile has cedar shavings that included western cedar I could see a reaction problem. Otherwise, the only issue I might have with it is that it will smolder forever unless they dig through and wet it down. Our neighbor burns off her manure pile every spring, doesn't bother us at all.

Had a broken hot wire start manure (dried and laying pretty thick on the ground, not in a pile...vets suggest letting several inches accumulate rather than feed on sandy soil here..easier to treat for worms than sand colic) once...just sat there and sparked and sparked and...yeah, well, it eventually caught and started burning.....more smouldering...does stink, puts up smoke and takes forever to put out...had to put a sprinkler out there and run it for several hours to soak down to the point it got all the hotspots out. Lots of places out here pile it up (pretty dry) and burn it...mostly cow manure though. Does put out a lot of heat. Understand the use of buffalo chips when there wasn't a tree in sight.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Burning??? I vaguely remember many moons ago there being no burn ban, but it's been so long for us, it is indeed a dim and distant memory.

When we were in a year without a burn ban we burned our manure. It wasn't that offensive.

my barn actually just did this. I didn't find it worse than any other burn pile people have done. My barn uses pine shavings, so it basically smelled like a campfire!

Default insect relief

Burning a manure pile is how to help with a terrible mosquito, gnat and fly problem. The horses stand in the smoke. It works if it is legal where you are. PatO

My dad tried this once, and managed to start quite a fire. Lesson of the day: firefighters are sexy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    My dad tried this once, and managed to start quite a fire. Lesson of the day: firefighters are sexy.
    Too funny, and agree

The normal manure pile burns weren't too bad, but the bunny one from last night was awful. Thanks for all of the responses!

I didn't realize people burned their manure piles... we just spread our manure in the pastures. Perhaps it helps that we use Equine Pine as a stall bedding that makes for less waste than the larger fluffier shavings.

Around here it's normal for the neighbors to burn their yard waste...I hate it...I tried a fire a couple of times, but it scares me to death (I think our fire fighters are not all that sexy, so I don't need for them to make an extra trip to my house

Last Christmas, the neighbor kid set their lawn and that of their neighbors on fire!
    (I don't like them people, so I laughed first, then called 911, then continued laughing)