The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Troxel or other types of helmets w/ covers?

How do they look? Do they look dumb? I was thinking of just getting a regulare old troxel helmet and getting a nice, custom cover to put over it so it doesn't look so terrible. I'm not really in the market to buy a helmet thats more than 80$ and I want one that will hold up and be COOL in the summer as I am out in the heat very often riding. Thanks! pictures would help, too

I'd recommend this helmet: it's a little over your budget, but I'm sure could be found at some tack source on sale maybe, and even without that, it's only $19 over, and you're getting a lot more for your money.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-ath...1-36117/cn/39/

It is vented and I had one a long time ago, but don't remember it being hot at all in the summer. Plus, they clean up easily, and you don't have to spend any more $$ on a cover (I'm not sure custom helmet covers exist, although I don't actually know)?

The look which is significantly better, safety, and MUCH higher quality would make this one worth it, if the few extra dollars are worth it to you (assuming you can find it on sale, sometimes Dover has good ones!). They also have great customer service and warranties, replacement policies, etc.

The Troxel Spirit-Duratec (in black) would look fine without a cover. Some of the higher-end helmets have smooth surfaces like it does.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

How about the Ovation Schooler helmet ($49.90 at Dover) or the Ovation Extreme ($79.90 at Dover)? I've had students show up in both of these and they are not bad looking helmets for the price... Wouldn't mind them trucking around local shows with the black version one bit...

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=830677204

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=830677204

No matter how custom a helmet cover is, (and how custom can a black cover be?) it still will look like you're wearing a tea cozy on your head.

If you can only afford a plastic coated helmet, remember that the higher prices usually coincide with the amount of padding & lining (i.e. COMFORT). They're all pretty well ventilated, but you might want to check out the Tipperary:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MC-36064

It's fine for jumpers, especially at a schooling show, but for any other division, I'd save up for a slightly more classic look.

Dover's IRH ATH is on sale now for $89 in either velveteen (the one Rolling posted) or microfiber. I'd go with the microfiber, it's a more updated look. The vent strip is silver, but it comes with a bunch of color strips (like the pink strip shown). Nice helmet, well padded, comfortable, vented, looks great.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=MC-36202

I can't wear an IRH helmet...they do not fit my head properly... too "oval" shaped! http://www.doversaddlery.com/troxel-...1-36016/cn/39/

^^would that look bad with a helmet cover?

I might just bite the bullet and buy another CO... I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    I can't wear an IRH helmet...they do not fit my head properly... too "oval" shaped! http://www.doversaddlery.com/troxel-...1-36016/cn/39/

^^would that look bad with a helmet cover?
    Yes, it looks bad with a helmet cover.

NO HELMET COVERS. Not even for schooling shows. The Ovation Extreme helmet with no cover, or the IRH Elite is nice with no cover. Different IRH helmets fit differently, so get thee to a tack store and try a few on! I repeat, NO HELMET COVERS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    Yes, it looks bad with a helmet cover.

NO HELMET COVERS. Not even for schooling shows. The Ovation Extreme helmet with no cover, or the IRH Elite is nice with no cover. Different IRH helmets fit differently, so get thee to a tack store and try a few on! I repeat, NO HELMET COVERS.
    Pretty much my feelings. Helmet covers are awful. I'd rather see someone with a plastic helmet at a schooling show than see them with the helmet cover.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Pretty much my feelings. Helmet covers are awful. I'd rather see someone with a plastic helmet at a schooling show than see them with the helmet cover.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RollingInTheDeep View Post
    The look which is significantly better, safety, and MUCH higher quality would make this one worth it, if the few extra dollars are worth it to you .
    The look may be "better", but in the only actual tests of approved helmets that I have seen, the $40 Troxel was the safest and the GPA flunked. GPA has since improved, but nowhere has any one shown that a higher end, more expensive helmet is better in any significant safety way. Better in the fashion police approved, keeping up with the Joneses, snob appeal way? Yes. Safer? No.

So, OP, my recommendation is to try on approved helmets in your budget until you find the one that fits you best. And buy it. In black. And skip the helmet cover.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

it would only be for schooling at home. I have a show helmet I guess a trip to dover is in order!

So, OP, my recommendation is to try on approved helmets in your budget until you find the one that fits you best. And buy it. In black. And skip the helmet cover.
    This. I've never seen a helmet cover look anything but completely tacky.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Helmet covers should not exist. They are awful. If it's for show, buy a decent black helmet- there are plenty that aren't expensive.

If it's for home, just ride in the plastic. Pick a reasonable color, and it will be fine - really. Most people at my barn ride in the Tipperary's at home because they are so cool and comfortable. I actually think it's cooler than my Speed Air. I tride an Ovation on at the tack shop last weekend and was impressed with it as well.

Friends don't let friends wear Troxels. Friends turn their heads and pretend they don't know friends when they see friends at horse shows wearing helmet covers.