The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding jacket question (ladies)

With the advent of all these technical, waterproof, machine-wash, short zip up riding jackets we are all drooling over- I got to thinking: What is to stop us from wearing (for example) a fitted North Face, with all the qualities I just listed? Would I get DQ'ed for not wearing a "riding jacket"? What defines a jacket made specifically for riding, and would anyone actually care? This could be a way to save $$$...

(Note: the jacket would be navy/ black/ etc... regular colors, and look nice, but you wouldn't be able to see the choker area- zips all the way up)
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Well I for one am not drooling over the very short ones, I think they look silly. The waterproof, washable, breathable fabric sounds wonderful though. I thought these jackets were just being worn in the jumpers though, is anyone wearing them for hunters and eq? I would think it has to be in the style and cut of a traditional hunt coat in order not to be marked down in the hunters or eq divisions but am interested to hear what any judges have to say about the subject.

That's allowed in the jumper ring in classes not requiring formal attire (anything under the Lows and anything that isn't a Classic). As long as it's conservative and has a collar, there's nothing stopping you from wearing non-riding brand technical jackets in those classes.

However, there's no way that at any sort of recognized show (USEF or any local reputable organization) that would be allowed in any other discipline.

Traditional attire is non-debatable and consists (and always will) of clean/polished tall boots, tan or rust breeches (white for classics, derbies), a belt, a ratcatcher or snap-collar shirt, and a traditional HUNT coat (be it washable, a new take on the classic, etc). I do not know of any "zip up" hunt coat; it wouldn't be allowed at any rated horse show. A stock tie and shadbelly are appropriate for Hunter Classics and Derbies.

I hope that helped!

What makes it a "riding" jacket is that it is a sport coat cut. Having a collar that zips up all the way like a turtle neck or whatever keeps it from being a sport/hunt coat. Not having the proper vents in the back also keeps it from being a sport/hunt coat.

If north face starts making a sport-cut blazer... go for it. Until then gersemi, animo, grand prix and gpa jackets are the way to go for technical fabrics in a hunt coat.
    friend of bar.ka

If you are talking "hunt" coat type Jackets??? There are a few really nice brands for reasonable prices... RJ Classics for one.. they make a nice one so why drift off when you can find some really nice stuff for under 200.00?

Don't do short, it looks like you are wearing your coat from when you were a kid...
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Spectrum96 Guest

I am slimmer teenager and I have trouble finding hunt jackets that are not too boxy, too long, or too curvy. I have been wearing a rather too short and boxy tailored sportsman jacket (that I suspect is large kids size) into the rated eq ring! Anyone know of a brand that fits a body type such as myself or am I going to have to suck it up and see a tailor?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum96 View Post
    I am slimmer teenager and I have trouble finding hunt jackets that are not too boxy, too long, or too curvy. I have been wearing a rather too short and boxy tailored sportsman jacket (that I suspect is large kids size) into the rated eq ring! Anyone know of a brand that fits a body type such as myself or am I going to have to suck it up and see a tailor?
    You could take it to a tailor and have them take the jacket in some at the waist.. Most dry cleaners have someone that can do alterations. You might also ask that when they take it in you want it to be easily let out... so when you grow out of it might be easier to sell on consignment..

do you mean like the kind of jacket the rider is wearing in the article about canter paces in PH this month?

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

00R or Short RJ Classics

Have you tried Pikeur? The ones I have seen look as though they would be a good fit for the body you describe. They are expensive, but I love the cut and fabrics of the ones in our local tack shop.

I do not like the look of the new, shorter riding jackets. I am sure they are fine and dandy for jumpers...but other then that.

But I also worry about my big butt being covered in the ring, and a short jacket wouldn't do that.

Order a real techinical jacket from a tack store overseas, it's about 1/2 the price. Try Amira? (I think that's the name....I'll go check)..

Please just wear a riding jacket. It really isn't that difficult.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetsAB View Post
    But I also worry about my big butt being covered in the ring, and a short jacket wouldn't do that.

AWESOME! I worry about this with all these low rise breeches. Love low rise jeans but two point doesn't favour low rise!

I have the same problem. I'm not tall either, but also slim and not "boxy" through the shoulders.

I have one coat that fits "great" enough for the eq that isn't custom: a Grand Prix 8 Slim Tall.

I would definitely look into Slim, Tall Grand Prix's in a smallish size- the Tall&Slim combination seems to make it fit nicely, not long!