The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MD/PA Newbie--Advice Needed

Hi, all--
    I have recently moved to Northern Maryland, and am THRILLED to be in a place where I can finally start hunting! My horse and I cubbed once with Los Altos in CA, but that's the extent of our hunting experience.

It's interesting that now that I'm here, I'm a bit paralyzed and unsure of how to proceed. There are SO. MANY. HUNTS! My hope was to be able to do some hunt trail rides/road hounds this summer to prep for possible hunting in the fall.

I live right on the edge of Elkridge-Harford country, but don't see anything on the Web site about welcoming new people/hunt trail rides, etc. It looks like Greenspring is having a trail ride this Sunday, but there's not a lot of other info--visitors welcome? I've heard great things about Rose Tree, but can't find a lot of info on them either. Carrollton is a bit of a hike, but I'm totally willing/able to drive out on weekends if that's my best option. And I can't find much out about Mt. Carmel...

I think my problem is that I don't know anyone who hunts yet, so I thought I'd turn myself over to the power of the COTH--does anyone have any advice to share?

Thanks in advance--I am SO EXCITED to hunt!

Ginny

OK, I have never hunted, so I know really nothing about it...

BUT, I used to ride at Tranquillity Manor Farm in Monkton when I lived in Baltimore. They hunt all the time. And they always seem to be taking new people, green horses, little kids, etc. with them. I'm sure if you got in touch with them they would be more than happy to tell you about where to go and who to go with. They are seriously great people and I loved riding there because of how friendly and laid back everyone was. Their phone number/email address is on their website: http://www.tranquillitymanorfarm.com/

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Sent You E-Mail W/ Phone Numbers...