The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default has a vet ever said a mare is pregnant- when she isn't?

I realize that I am probably being completely neurotic... but my mare was ultrasounded yesterday at 15 days and my vet says we have a pregnancy. I was looking at the screen and all I saw was a black blob- not a small dot. So I am fretting now; doubting my vet. Isn't the black dot supposed to be small and pretty defined at 2 weeks? I think she told me that the black area was not the embryo but the small white barely detectable area on one end of it was. Please clear this up for me oh knowledgeable cothers!

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Your vet is correct. The black blob is the gestation sac. The embryo is small and white.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    I realize that I am probably being completely neurotic... but my mare was ultrasounded yesterday at 15 days and my vet says we have a pregnancy. I was looking at the screen and all I saw was a black blob- not a small dot. So I am fretting now; doubting my vet. Isn't the black dot supposed to be small and pretty defined at 2 weeks? I think she told me that the black area was not the embryo but the small white barely detectable area on one end of it was. Please clear this up for me oh knowledgeable cothers!
    Define "small". At 14 days, the average size is 14 to 18 mm. Here's a link to some images on our website including one at 14 days -
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/embryo.htm . Your vet is somewhat correct in that what you are looking at with a 15 day ultrasound is not the embryo, but the yolk sac. However, the two hyperechoic short lines on the dorsal and ventral (top and bottom) borders of the conceptus are known as specular reflections - NOT the actual embryo. Whilst they may aid location of the early embryonic vesicle, they are not indicative of pregnancy but are a physical phenomenon arising from the reflection of the ultrasound beam. At 15 days, the embryo is little more than a speck and is not visible via ultrasound.

Hope that helps!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Congratulations!

Yes. In my "black cloud of negative equine embryogenesis", I've had my vet tell me that my mare was pregnant when at 120+ days, she wasn't. For whatever reason. I've come to be the "doubting Thomas" of pregnancy...unless it is on the ground and suckling, I'm skeptical.

Well, pregnancy is not a static thing . . . embryos can be lost, very early pregnancies can be detectable but not viable, even later and solid pregnancies can abruptly end and a horse that was PREGNANT at six weeks is OPEN at twelve.

I've been in the "is she or isn't she?" boat many times, as has just about everyone here, I daresay. Not a darn thing to do but wait, bite your nails, look at the scan until you're cross-eyed, and wait again for the follow-up exam. And then you've still got 10 more months to go!
    Click here before you buy.