The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Windpuff or something more?

Recently moved horse to a new facility a week ago yesterday (6/5) Monday was started on introduction to new pasture mates...told it went well other than typical stuff, nothing excessive or too much running around. On Wed. noticed a bit of swelling on front left fetlock and slightly up the back sides of cannon. Palpated to see if there was sensitivity to suspensory or any other parts with no reaction. Cold hosed, majority of swelling went away. Wrapped for the night and gave bute. Next day came to still find swelling, but also was told due to heat horses did not go outside. Cold hosed, swelling went down some, lunged fine, decided to try U/S at the walk and trot. No lameness. Swelling almost completely gone after workout. No heat. Cold hosed, poulticed, and wrapped again for night with Bute.
    Couldn't go Friday. Saturday, horse had minimal turnout in a.m., pulled out from stall after being in for 5 hrs. same amount of swelling, decided it may be windpuff, so worked him lightly. cold hosed, wrapped again. Sunday ( yesterday ), horses did not go out again ( for unknown reason ), same leg same swelling but now with slight heat and now rear right leg stocked up slightly. Decided to just lunge, and hand walk outside. No signs of lameness, and all swelling gone after but same heat in front. Sweat wrapped for the night, continued on Bute. Turnout is supposed to happen today. Not giving bute today to see if simple turnout will keep swelling down. I was leaning toward windpuff's after maybe some running around during introductions. Horse is used to flat ground turnout and this place has rolling hills/inclined pastures. The heat is throwing me off to the windpuff theory. What are your thoughts? He just had a full workup 2wks ago and was given a clean bill of health and passed flex tests, etc.

Confused...Thanks for input

Have vet come out and ultrasound to rule out an issues
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Out of curiosity what would an ultrasound show that doesn't have lameness associated with it?

Suspensory injuries can present with little to no detectable lameness, especially on soft ground.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Well, he had full day of turnout and he had no swelling!
    I'm not saying he doesn't have an injury...
    We had another horse with a suspensory injury awhile back and though it was much more obvious, we've been taught how to check for a reaction to it. He's negative to that test.
    Last edited by wishnwell; Jun. 13, 2011 at 09:24 PM.