The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 8yr old, OT Standardbred Mare (CT)

I have a wonderful, 8 yr old, 15.2H off-track Standardbred mare; she was a trotter. This is an easy keeper, very healthy, never any injuries and no wear and tear, with a wonderful personality. She is very pretty and carries herself taller than her 15.2H.

She is broke to drive and ride, just needs more miles under saddle. I think she will be a great hunter jumper/dressage prospect with more training. This girl has heart and wants to do what you ask. When I was riding her consistently, she was thriving and loved it. She had 30 days professional training last summer. I was planning on sending her out for 60 more for finishing/fine-tuning, but a potential lay-off in the household is stalling those plans. She hasn't had consistent work since Christmas mostly due to the snow cover and no indoor. She is back in work only 2 days a week and needs some reconditioning, but she is still calm and unflappable after 4 months out of work.

She has a lot of potential and would do very well with someone who wants an eager and quick-learning project horse. She has no vices that I am aware of and is easy to be around and gets along great with others horses. She loves to work but doesn't 'need' to work. She loves ring work and ready to finish your way.

She does well on trails with other horses and does anything and goes anywhere they do. As a solo horse she is still pretty unflappable she just needs more miles on the trail as a solo horse. She isn't spooky, just needs some encouragement to do things on her own.

She is up-to-date on general spring shots, Rabies, coggins, fecals/worming and feet; teeth done last fall. Good for farrier, vet, ties, grooming, bathing, trailering.

This would initially be an off-farm lease, but if it is the right fit for both her and rider after a set trial period, I would rehome her. References will be checked.

She is in no danger of leaving here to somewhere/someone unsavory. The only reason we are considering rehoming this mare is we are facing a significant loss of income due to layoff. I won't be a jerk about lease/rehome contracts but finding the right match and loving home for this mare is my main priority.

PM me for more info and pictures. (video coming soon)
    Last edited by bumblesmama; Jun. 18, 2011 at 07:36 AM. Reason: update
    "It's about the journey, not the destination"

BUMP

I think the world of standardbreds. We're full, as we have 2 stb. and have many friends who have them. Often, these are great childrens mounts. Standies are know as being such easy keepers, have great personalities, wonderful work ethics and good, hard feet.. . just saying. . .

BUMP

@beautifuldreamer: so right, I can't say enough good things about this breed. They can do anything and will give you all. They are one of the most consistent I have ever known in personality, temperament and so freaking healthy! We love this mare to pieces but it is more important to us to be proactive in rehoming her before times get really difficult for us. Lay-offs are hitting everyone and we just want to make this decision while we are clear in the head and not out of desperation. She means the world to us and her safety and a good home are so important.

Do you have any pics of this mare? STB's are the best!

will she canter under saddle ?
    Thanks

Thanks for all the inquiries. I didn't get to respond to everyone. I found an awesome home for leasing her and should it work out, they are a great forever home. She is in good hands.

Thanks everyone.