The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anyone of you board in a city? (pros v cons) EDIT where to board west of philly

Decision was made for me-the place is full. SO! does anyone have any recommendations of places to board that are not too far from NW philly? Main line, Radnor hunt area? Thanks...

I'm trying to make a decision about where I board my horse when I move into a city this summer. I can keep her at a barn that is <2 miles from work/home; right in the middle of a huge urban park with a massive trail system; a beautiful indoor; an outdoor w/jumps; a h-j trainer on site; all the hay and grain my horse needs; large airy stalls; and a manager onsite. the con? 3-4 hours a day of turn out in a dirt lot.

Or, I can try to find a place outside the city, drive 40+ min and likely pay more, have similar amenities, plus have all day or all night turnout, or pasture board (which i currently have). I've never boarded her anywhere where she's had less than 12/12 turn out, and I don't know how she'd do. She is 17 this year and sound, but I don't know if putting her in a stall 20 hours a day would be good for her, or fair. If I did move her to the above mentioned place, it would be for entirely selfish reasons-the amenities and being close to home (far closer in fact that anyplace I've ever boarded them-other than when I had them at home!).

Any thoughts or input? I appreciate it. Thanks!
    Last edited by DieBlaueReiterin; Jun. 13, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: new info
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Quote Originally Posted by DieBlaueReiterin View Post
    I'm trying to make a decision about where I board my horse when I move into a city this summer. I can keep her at a barn that is <2 miles from work/home; right in the middle of a huge urban park with a massive trail system; a beautiful indoor; an outdoor w/jumps; a h-j trainer on site; all the hay and grain my horse needs; large airy stalls; and a manager onsite. the con? 3-4 hours a day of turn out in a dirt lot.

Or, I can try to find a place outside the city, drive 40+ min and likely pay more, have similar amenities, plus have all day or all night turnout, or pasture board (which i currently have). I've never boarded her anywhere where she's had less than 12/12 turn out, and I don't know how she'd do. She is 17 this year and sound, but I don't know if putting her in a stall 20 hours a day would be good for her, or fair. If I did move her to the above mentioned place, it would be for entirely selfish reasons-the amenities and being close to home (far closer in fact that anyplace I've ever boarded them-other than when I had them at home!).

Any thoughts or input? I appreciate it. Thanks!
    I vote for city. I live and board my horse in the city. Many horses your mare's age are thriving. I'd take the added exercise of you riding more often over the added turn out. If she's sound and rideable, then keep her close by and enjoy her.
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Jun. 12, 2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: oops--it's a mare
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Ditto. If you can get out to her 5 or 6 times a week, its better for her than if you only get out to her 3 times a week. She will have plenty of variety in her day if you are coming out frequently. This way, even if you can't ride, you can come out and groom, give treats, walk her around. Its so close, you could go out to her two times a day on the weekend or vacation tme. If she's sick 0r needs attention, you're there zippo fast. You'll do great in the city. Have a great time!
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Is this the place out by Chestnut Hill? It seems to be a nice place and there are a ton of trails nearby.

Being in the area I can tell you that it can be very difficult to get in and out of the city so when the days are short you will appreciate not having much of a commute to your horse.

thank you for the supportive comments. i sort of feel guilty even considering it, and subverting her wants for my own. i still have to think about it for a while.

and yes, it is the place at chestnut hill. it does seem REALLY nice, nicer than the other/smaller place in the park which i stopped at. that place has about 8-4 turnout, but again they are in tiny lots, and those don't even have trees for shade. and the ring was really small, so that place is off the table.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

Can you try out board at the city place and see how it works out? If you're getting out and riding most days, maybe the lesser turnout won't be a huge deal. You want to spend her ridable years being able to see her daily and taking advantage of trails, etc- you can always move her out of the city if it's not working out.

Could you negotiate for a little longer turnout. I have never noticed they care if it is dirt or whatever. I mean they love to eat grass but that is not really the point of turnout, in a situation like this. Maybe you could pay a bit more and have her turned out in the arena for a buck in the other half of her day or something. Good luck.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

I'm going to chime in with the opposite view unfortunately. It's very hard for an older horse to go from all day turnout to being stalled 20-21 hours a day. An extra exercise session or two each week with you riding is absolutely not the same thing. If you want your horse to stay sound and rideable for years to come, I'd do everything in my power to get him as much turnout as you can afford from a $ and commute perspective.

I've been at urban barns and no matter how much they try, the horses don't stay as sound as the ones with more turnout, especially as they age. It would be a little different if your horse was used to being stalled all the time but it sounds like he's not. I've always been told that increased turnout is the best way of dealing with age related unsoundness (arthritis, etc.) so with a 17 year old, there's no way I'd compromise on that for my own convenience unless there was absolutely no other option because having an unsound horse you can't ride is pretty inconvenient as well. I'd explore the other options if I were you.

Also with older horses, I think the idea of the 1/2 hour turnout for a buck or two is a terrible idea. I want there to be a lot of steady motion, with ocassional craziness, not a 1/2 hour explosion every day that couldl result in pulled muscles.

As the owner of an arthritic 16 year old, I agree with NCRider. Knowing he is out full time wandering around, being social, and moving is a HUGE relief for me. Yes, I have to drive to him, but I think this is what I have to do to have a sound and happy horse. When work is crazy and I can't get out, he is perfectly happy without me.

Your call, and I certainly understand the appeal of the close in place, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think being in a stall 20 hours a day won't have an effect on her comfort level.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

i posted the question on another board, but it didn't get much response. i know i have until august, but for some reason i'm just starting to feel frantic. any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    I've been at urban barns and no matter how much they try, the horses don't stay as sound as the ones with more turnout, especially as they age.
    Is there any statistical proof of that?

What does your vet say, DBR?

Also, consider that nothing is permanent. You could give the urban barn a shot for six months, and move if it doesn't work out.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

i didn't talk to the vet about it. I guess I should. I moved already once last summer and (KNOCK ON WOOD) haven't needed a vet since, so I haven't found one down here to talk to. (i do my own shots.) I'm sure my old vet wouldn't mind talking to me. Thanks for the idea.

Are you living in NW Philly? Around Chestnut Hill or Germantown? Much as I love being in Radnor Hunt Country you would be better off looking out in the Blue Bell area. It will be easier to get to for you.

Not sure what is going on with Fitz Dixon's old farm these days but maybe someone on here knows.

Isn't Rich Scarlett out that way too?

I am going to agree with those that said to proceed with caution moving to a barn that has very limited turnout for an older horse. I don't have statistical data, but I saw first hand what that scenario did to my sister's gelding. The horse was in his late teens, sound, and only getting a maintenance joint supplement. He was at a farm where he was turned out 12 hours a day. Moved to a place much closer to home that had just a very small paddock and very limited turn out. Her horse rapidly declined becoming chronically lame. Had the vet out and she diagnosed arthritis. My sister had to start him on Adequan, up his joint supplement, and added in anti-inflammatories (B-L pellets). He improved enough that he wasn't technically lame, but he was still stiff. It wasn't until we moved the horses to a new facility with ample turnout that he he returned to his former movement, although he still has to stay on the aforementioned program of Adequan, Smartflex senior, and b-l pellets.

I would be hard pressed to keep any horse of mine in a very limited turnout situation...young or old.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Are you living in NW Philly? Around Chestnut Hill or Germantown? Much as I love being in Radnor Hunt Country you would be better off looking out in the Blue Bell area. It will be easier to get to for you.

Not sure what is going on with Fitz Dixon's old farm these days but maybe someone on here knows.

Isn't Rich Scarlett out that way too?
    yeah, i'm looking for places in that area (to rent a room). it's very competitive, it seems! every room i've emailed about, there have been like 10 people trying for, and a lot of times people don't even email back. O_o thank you for the info about blue bell. i have never even heard of that town, i don't think, haha. i will google it.

DBR - you have a PM
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

moonwitch's place sounds wonderful but just too far googlemaps says it's at least 55 min away and that's not counting the lovely philly traffic

There's a stall available at the barn where I keep my horses. Zip code is 18074. TB training facility - nice place, nice people. PM if the distance is do-able for you.

yeah, that's also too far thanks for the suggestion, though!

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

Have you looked in the Valley Forge area? Phoenixville? not that far from the city (traffic) if you go the "SureKill". .

I would think if your horse is only 2 mi away, you'd have more time to spend with her, ...riding, long walks that wouldnt leave her 20hrs in a stall.

Id rather spend horse time than travel time any day! Especially with all the amenities you mentioned -- indoor right?

Id try the city stable first and see how much time you actually do spend with your horse(and making lots of new friends to ride trails together). If you see you arent riding, then, yes, finding a pasture for her would be appropriate.
    IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680