The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prefab Steel building? Starting from scratch

I know several of you have gone through building or adding to your horse facilities in past couple of years. So any advice is appreciated.

I am at the planning stages of putting up a 4 stall barn with some hay storage either late this year or early next.

In the past two weeks have run water and electric to paddocks so autowaters are done. Having another pasture fenced this month, followed by run-ins before I build the barn.

I have gotten a quote from Denco which was a little over 50 K all in (taxes, concrete, electric, site prep, stalls, water etc) Cute barn and I am sure great quality!

However future steel, pioneer steel and the like, have some great deals on sale or "clearance buildings" ie a 30X50 for 18K. I can get system fence stall fronts, cement, electric,water, and site prep done for alot less than 20K.

I wonder how big of a PITA these buildings are to put up, how much help you need (would have to hire pros and large equipment too) Not exactly the phone a couple friends and a case a beer project

I have requested a quote from a local contractor I used at my last farm too.

I plan to have my horses live out as much as possible at my new place, I am finally off clay so don't have to worry about swamp like conditions in the turnouts.

Stalls will really only be used to foal out my two broodies, and when needed for doctoring,farrier,tacking up and the like. Perhaps in really inclement weather, however, with blankets, run-ins, and lots of wind breaks from trees, the horses should be fine.

Any advice or what would you have done differently at your own farm if you had to do it over again?

Are they bolt up or weld up?
    You will need some piece of equipment with enough vertical reach to set the trusses. So think the peak of the roof plus some extra so you can lift it over the building and set it down.
    You will need SEVERAL people with some strenght to muscle the steel around, hold it in position, bolt/weld it.
    Be sure you have the specs and prints for the concrete guys so they know EXACTLY where to set bolts to set the building on. If they are off by even a smidge, or the bolts are crooked the least bit, the building won't fit!!

We have 2 metal buildings. One bolt up, one weld up. We didn't put them up but had to help the contractors since they didn't have enough man power or equipment with the necessary reach. Thank heavens we have a large tractor with alot of reach.

The idiots who poured the footings and bolts for our arena didn't put the bolts in right or pour the footings the right shapes. So that was a nightmare.

Then you have put the side metal on. Red steel is very hard. Even with self tapping screws and impact driver most of the screw holes had to be pre-drilled.

I would get quotes, AND REFERENCES, from contractors you are thinking of using to put it up. And go see their finished product if possible.

We thought ours were going to be simple. They sure made it sound like it would be. Far, far far from it.

We had always done wood buildings (pole buildings). Since wood is scarse in OK we went with what everybody else here does--metal. Suffice it to say when we added a third buidling for hay/equipment/etc storage we went with wood. And have been much happier.

We also built 2 run in sheds. First one was metal. Second one is wood.

Take it for what it is worth.

If you have knowledge of what you're doing, these barns aren't tough. BUT, if you don't, it's best to hire someone who does. You can always be an extra "hand" with some direction, as can your friends coming to help for a case of beer.

Not sure what your area is like, but we have a lot of builders out of work. You can probably find someone inexpensive enough to make this far more worth your while. Just make sure to check references/qualifications, and get any and all necessary permits.

It's definitely a feasible option, and can leave a lot more money left over if you're working with a budget.