The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone been on a home improvement show?

So have you redone a room in your house and been on a TV show on HGTV or DIY? I don't personally know anyone who has done this. I'm curious if it's a good experience or something to avoid.

No, but that is one reality show I probably would sign up for. Well, depending on the show, I haven't seen it in many years, but I've seen some horribly screwed up makeovers on "Trading Places" (is it still even on?), I don't think I would take a chance on that one.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

No, but I'd love it! After we move next month, I want to apply to be on DIY's "Run My Renovation" but DH is not thrilled w/ the idea - I like it because I have yet to see anything truly horrible. Unlike, as the above poster mentioned, Trading Places/Changing Rooms!

My neighbor was on HGTV's "What's with THAT House?", where the wacky host goes to odd or unusual homes and tours them with funny commentary. I don't think they realized he'd be sort of mocking them, and they weren't very happy with the way it turned out.

I'd love to have Candace Olsen come and redo my house.

If you read the fine print on the website, you'll have to pay for the work - anything from a couple of thousand to substantially more. Some of the stuff IS free - I think Curb Appeal is, for example.

Not that the OP indicated she thought it was free - just that I suspect a lot of folks do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    If you read the fine print on the website, you'll have to pay for the work - anything from a couple of thousand to substantially more. Some of the stuff IS free - I think Curb Appeal is, for example.

Not that the OP indicated she thought it was free - just that I suspect a lot of folks do.
    Oh, interesting. I was one of those that assumed that since they are making a TV show about it, and I assume profiting from that -- that of COURSE they would pay for it!

Guess it's good I wasn't about to apply to one. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

What's interesting is that some of the listings tell you to include your realistic budget and some of the shows tell you the renovation is free.

So if I could actually get my kitchen redone for free I might do it. I can't imagine some of the budgets for Candance Olsen's show because she puts in some really expensive custom items.

My big fear is that my kitchen would end up uglier than it is now (which would be nearly impossible!)

I don't know why people would do the shows where they follow you through an entire project only to mock you if they aren't footing some of the reno costs.

I never had it done, but Trading Spaces came to a house a few blocks away from mine and we drove by to see them work a few times...We also had extreme makeover home edition do a house in the city that I have driven by. I do not know of any of the people personally though.
    I WAS a proud member of the *I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday* clique..but now I am 30!!!!!!!!!!!
    My new blog about my Finger Lakes Finest:
    She Ain't No Small Potato!