The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Default Casey Anthony Trial - is the press going overboard?

I'm baffled as to why the local TV news here in central Florida finds it necessary to cover every single minute of the trial, and then have special shows every evening to recap the day.

Seriously, all 3 channels are covering it all day every day.

Even more baffling that the general public will wait in line for 8 hours to get a seat in the gallery.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

The press should cover everybody's missing child equally.

Sad for the family.

There have been protests in front of the court house about the press paying too much attention to her trial.

I wish it would conclude.

The network's are doing a good job, and they are making money. Bet their investors are happy.

Wonder who the next trial will be about?

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    The press should cover everybody's missing child equally.

Sad for the family.

There have been protests in front of the court house about the press paying too much attention to her trial.

I wish it would conclude.

The network's are doing a good job, and they are making money. Bet their investors are happy.

Wonder who the next trial will be about?
    I think the general public wishes that Casey would just confess, so that the truth would come out. That might be the big attraction.

As to the next trial, my money would be on the trials for the kids here that killed their friend. Horrific stuff all of it.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I concluded after the OJ trial, that covering a trial is a major perk for reporters. Hours are set 9 - 4. No night work. Limited background research needed, no special expertise needed (although sometimes there is a call for particular testimony interpretation) hotels meals and lots of other reporters. Basically a convention for reporters. No travel once they are on site.
    I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

In the last 2 weeks I have taken my son to the ER twice, same day surgery twice and ortho's office three or 4 times....I've lost count. THANK GOODNESS the ER didn't have TV, every other waiting room was showing the trial.
    Well, maybe ER waiting room did but we didn't spend much time there

I don't understand it AT ALL. I would rather watch the weather channel
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I guess because of my schedule I generally miss the news and other broadcasts because I have seen nothing at all about the trial. It makes me wonder what else I've missed in the news.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Cranky-they are actually doing entire hour and half-hour reruns of testimony on Headline News-I found out by accident while channel surfing. I think a lot of it is the horror of the woman killing her kid, her idiot parents and friends believing someone who didn't even had a job had a full time nanny, and was (according to the prosecution theory) allegedly chloroforming the kid, duct taping her mouth, and tossing her in the car trunk so mommy dearest could party constantly. The part that amazes me is that the grandmother believe the nanny had the kid and was searching for her until six weeks ago-denial is so horrible. I guess the defense alleging the father molested Casey for years finally brought the grandparents around to reality, and made them tell the truthabout their daughter's lies. I can't believe someone who had parents that would have gladly adopted the little girl apparently did this, and used the girl as a bargaining chip to get money and such out of the parents.

I feel so sorry for that little baby, who should have had a good life and now won't. I think the press and a lot of the public are wondering how someone can even think of doing something like this, or like someone like Susan Smith. I think some people think one of these people will actually say why they did something like this, but they never tell the truth anyway, and I'm not sure they know why they do these things. I think they're just sociopaths who have no conception of the worth of anyone except for themselves.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I feel so sorry for that little baby, who should have had a good life and now won't. I think the press and a lot of the public are wondering how someone can even think of doing something like this, or like someone like Susan Smith. I think some people think one of these people will actually say why they did something like this, but they never tell the truth anyway, and I'm not sure they know why they do these things. I think they're just sociopaths who have no conception of the worth of anyone except for themselves.
    I agree, and I cannot even begin to fathom what goes on in the mind of a sociopath, it is just too horrible for my mind to grasp.