The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Car recommendations

The Caravan has 275,000+ miles on it. We have to face it: it's gonna die...

I will need another reliable car.

Good gas mileage is a must - over 20mpg - we travel a lot, obviously.

It needs to have room. Hubby likes to go to Renaissance Fairs, we go to dog shows, long trips up to Oregon to see folks, etc. Camping gear, crates (3 #200) bikes, etc. - all that needs to fit with four people, sometimes more.

We are average-sized people, so it doesn't need miles of leg room, but comfort is necessary because of the long trips.

Reliable. Rather spend my money on the dog shows.

Doesn't need to tow much, if at all.

And reliable. Did I mention that?

ETA: haven't made out a budget yet, but the more bang for the buck, the better, of course.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Don't know if the cargo space is big enough but I love my Mariner hybrid. The Ford Escape is pretty much the same thing. 33 mpg on average, extremely reliable. Definitely comfortable for 4, easily seats 5.

I've heard good things about the Honda Element, but I have no idea if you can fit three #200's in them. Two 200's would fit, but I don't know about three.

Why not just get another Caravan? Looks like it's done well for you thus far (275k?! WOW!) and fits the bill for what you need. Any particular reason why you plan to switch vehicles?
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Poodles & Barrel Racers

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I may or may not switch - mostly looking at options. It's been a good car, obviously, but it's also going on 15 years old and things change. There might be better out there, now. You never know. It never hurts to gather opinions: someone may know something I don't.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Voldemare beat me to it. The Ford Escape gives a great bang for the buck. Handles well, has adequate storage with pretty good gas mileage.

I hear Honda is going to stop making the Element so if you want one this year might just be your last chance if you are shopping for new.

I will say that the Caravan has come a long way in those 15 years. Improved gas mileage, more stylish, another door and some new toys inside.

Good luck!
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

I doubt you can find something that can handle 3 large dog crates and gets 20mpg. Maybe a Toyota Sienna? I love my Volvo wagon and the digs would fit for you but not the crates.

Do the dog crates fold down or do you need to fit the dogs in the crates in the car with four people? If that's the case there is no way an Escape will work for you, but if you're planning on folding the crates for storage/travel it might work. I have an X-Terra that is in the same size range as an Escape and I love it. Very comfortable seats, drives great, I have had no problem with it. It does have a large trunk space and you could stack the crates (I have done it). I don't know what the gas mileage runs, but when I upgraded from my Civic to the X-Terra I was very surprised to have a much smaller gas bill than I expected.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

It probably doesn't have enough cargo room, but I just bought a Hyundai Tucson, and I'm in love. 31 highway mpg, Bluetooth, XM radio, this thing has everything, and it was VERY reasonably priced. Maybe look at the Santa Fe which has more cargo room...
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Don't know if it's big enough, but I'm very satisfied my Suzuki XL-7 manual shift. Comfortable, ample power for the mountains (V-6), and gets 23-25 MPG overall.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams