The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default South Farm Novice?

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me about the novice XC course at South Farm? Banks? Ditches? Water? Is there a half coffin? Bending line Combinations?
    I hear the place is lovely and I've never been....

I'm looking to move my horse up to Novice. He is really keen, defiantly still on the green new to eventing (he's an OTTB) but does his job when ridden correctly and he likes to jump.

THANKS!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

South Farm has a very inviting water complex. I believe that Novice has a jump after the water. They do have a ditch, after a jump into the woods. Their down bank usually has a bending line to a jump afterward. There may be another jump going from light to dark along a fence line, too. There are good questions for the level.

South Farm works very hard to make certain that there is good footing. Your SJ is on the side of a slope on grass. I have seen a four jump serpentine to start a course, which was very challenging.

Be aware that South Farm is located in Amish country. You will have buggies going to town on Saturday during your dressage test. The dressage arenas sit close enough to the road for your horse to see/hear them. Start your warm up early enough so that your horse can get used to seeing them.

Brant Gamma Photography is usually the photographer (Pete Landon, too), so you can expect some good photos.

Most of the horses are stabled in the indoor, which can be quite hot. There are some newer stalls outside, which are cooler, but they go quickly.

If it was not so far to go up there, I would definitely go back.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Thank you for the great description! That all sounds like stuff my boy can handle especially if I get to go schooling before we go!
    -Chelsie

Agree with what Auburn already said - South Farm is a great event and one I really miss a lot! Just be careful of the buggies - they do tend to catch a lot of horses out and surprise them (been on more than a few greenies myself in the warmup when a buggy goes down the road, haha).

I wouldn't think twice about moving up there - it's mostly flat so you can focus on jumping the bigger jumps rather than having to sort out terrain as well, and the course and fence designs are always really inviting, well built, and IMO straightforward as long as you're both focused
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Thanks! That is kind of what I was thinking.
    -Chelsie

Love, Love, Love South Farm!!! Just checked out Stone Gate farm myself this weekend. First BN move up for my green mare. The Course was AMAZING!! Both places are top notch. Hope you give them a try!