The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Clark Griswold: "The House of Mud is just 4 short hours away!" Things to see going XC

I'm moving from CT to Oregon at the end of the summer. Road trip!

What can we see along the way? Think Interstate 80 most of the way across and then 84 into Oregon.

You can include *quality* destinations and wonders like Clark Griswold's House of Mud or Giant Ball of Twine. Corn palaces... Wall Drug (or the equivalent) are good. Nature would be fine, as well. Tack stores would be even better. You know, the important stuff.

Suggestions?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default Oregon trail, Lewis and Clark

Depending on where you are going you will hit parts of the above trails. There may be historical sites there. Too bad you are not on I90 and will miss Wall Drug South dakota

I have nothing to offer in the way of scenic tours....but Welcome To Oregon a few months early!

Where are you moving to in Oregon?
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by CDE Driver View Post
    I have nothing to offer in the way of scenic tours....but Welcome To Oregon a few months early!

Where are you moving to in Oregon?
    I'm going to Corvallis. I need all kinds of clues, so any about where to live well- and cheaply outside of Corvallis proper are most welcome. Most of the people I have been talking to there are not horse folk. Their taste is in their mouth, as it were.

I am psyched to see the Oregon Coast. I think the dramatic, Big Sur (CA)-like sections you see photographed are North of Corvallis.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Oh, and my other desire is to *not* blow up my 7.3L PSD while I'm hauling my stuff across the Continental Divide. I'll pare down to what can fit in my 2H DR BP. That's not much by most people's standards. But the weight adds up.

I'll ask my truck buddies, too, but do you all think there are better and worse places to drive over the Rockies?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat