The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy can't find last registered owner of horse

I bought a horse from a broker who was supposed to have papers... of course those became lost after I bought her. I think I have tracked her back to the breeder and have the name of the last registered owner. This person seems to have a new place of residence every year or so and all of the phone numbers that I have are disconnected. The breed registry says that I have to have the consent of the last registered owner ( person in question) to get her papers in my name. This woman has dropped off the face of the planet and I cannot get the broker to give me the name of the person he bought the horse from. I have looked at records and the horse is MIA as well, no performance records, no babies, no change of ownership, nothing anywhere. Is there anything I can do to get this horse identified and papers in my name if my feelings are correct?

Nothing that I know of. AQHA?

I bought a supposedly purebred QH with lost papers and had no way to track down the owner. I was mostly worried the papers were "lost" to conceal the horse's HYPP status (I'm paranoid like that) so once I was able to reassure myself that my gelding wasn't Impressive bred I didn't look too hard into the registration issue.

Did you want to show? Breed?

Yes, AQHA! We have been doing hunter/jumper and dressage stuff and decided to play around with gaming a few days ago with some friends. I have never had any experience with it before, and my mare pole bends with perfect lead changes and sits down and turns barrels picking up the correct lead. She rates herself and heads for home after the 3rd barrel. She even knew the patterns and blew everyone away. Packed me around like it was old hat for her (I meant to walk/trot but we slow cantered it when we found out what she knew). She has some nasty scars on her rear legs and I think that is why she was in the auction/broker system. I really would like to know for sure who she is. I would love to breed her (one baby, for me to keep) someday but would never do it unless I had papers and a good show record on her.

Working a Showmanship pattern somewhere in the great Northeast...

The only way tracking down the last owner will help is if they have the papers and a signed transfer from the last owner recorded with AQHA...otherwise you need to deal with the last recorded owner directly...they are the only ones who can sign a transfer for you to have the horse recorded in your name.
    The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

Which search engines are you using to track the last recorded owner? Some are better than others.

For example, if you use PeopleFinders.com you can get a listing of 'associated names' and search through those for spouses / offspring. Contacting one of those people might yield information (including the possibility that the last recorded owner has died.) If you pay for a one month membership, you get even more information.

123people.com gives you a different view of different types information, some of which may be useful.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

What sahqueen said. If you are planning on competeing in AQHA timed events then keep digging but otherwise, just enjoy your new mare and all her unexpected gifts!

For people searches you caan also try Spokeo & Zabasearch.

Can you do a hardship reg or transfer??

Have you tried calling AQHA and talking to someone??

Good luck!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Just out of curiosity, the broker in question's name is AW is it?

No hardship and no registration if the papers are lost and you cannot find the previous owner who will have to get duplicate papers and then sign a transfer. You may have to also do DNA testing to prove the horse matches the one that the papers are for. If she does barrels and poles there's a chance that her competition was outside of AQHA as well and they wouldn't have a record of that (not sure if they are adding outside competition in poles and barrels to AQHA records or not...they do for NCHA, NRHA, NRCHA and a few others). Consider putting up a Craigslist ad "looking for xyz, previous owner of a horse I bought...need info" kind of thing....it is amazing who knows who in the horse world.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Do you have previous owner's name and prior address? If so and you're desperate to find them, you can also pay a service to find them for you. I paid a PI service $100 to hunt someone down for me (just because we had lost touch over the years, and I wanted to see how she was doing.)
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

How old is the mare?? I only ask because I leased my mare out to a guy who ended up giving the mare to his aunt a few years back. I held onto the papers for a while just to make sure they liked her and were going to keep her before signing her over. I still have the papers. Did they tell you what the mare's reg name is???
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerButt View Post
    How old is the mare?? I only ask because I leased my mare out to a guy who ended up giving the mare to his aunt a few years back. I held onto the papers for a while just to make sure they liked her and were going to keep her before signing her over. I still have the papers. Did they tell you what the mare's reg name is???
    The breeder was able to tell me the registered name of the horse she thinks that she is. The seller told me nothing other than she was registered but there were no papers with her. I Also know that name of the last known owner and the state where she lived. That would probably be you I think, but I don't want to post the name on here to protect privacy. Is there a way to message you?

EC - Got your message. I am sorry to say that it isn't her. Thank you for messaging me tho. Hopefully you will find some info on your new girl!

Good Luck!
    BB
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010