The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sore muscles and DMG?????

So my boy has an SI issue. So he is weak in the hind end and it will just take a while to build it up. Last week we spent three days in the field working and jumping. It was a slight incline but not to bad. Well unfortunately it was enough to cause him muscle soreness in his left hip area. He had two days off ( hes on 24/7 tunrout) and was really dragging that left hind Tuesday. So I lightly hacked him to stretch the muscles out and rubbed a lot of Sore no More into the tight muscles. Wednesday he was much much better with barely any drag.

So my question is, since we are going to start working him more on hills to build up that area I was wondering if there was a proactive way to help his muscles. I was on the smartpak page and saw DMG. Has anyone used this and had success? Any other suggestions?

Right now he is on MSM and a Cortiflex for his joints.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

If you were one of my clients, I would recommend that you start very slowly with the hill work. If you start slow and work up gradually, you will have only minor, normal, fitness-building muscle soreness to deal with. This has been my experience both with my massage clients and as the owner of a horse with SI and stifle issues.

If the workload is appropriate (say, start with 20 minutes/day of walking on hills and work up from that to both extend the time and add in trotting and eventually cantering on hills, jumping, cavalletti, etc.), a rub down with whatever liniment you have available should be all you need. Of course, I would also recommend working with a qualified massage therapist to help you along the way.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    If you were one of my clients, I would recommend that you start very slowly with the hill work. If you start slow and work up gradually, you will have only minor, normal, fitness-building muscle soreness to deal with. This has been my experience both with my massage clients and as the owner of a horse with SI and stifle issues.

If the workload is appropriate (say, start with 20 minutes/day of walking on hills and work up from that to both extend the time and add in trotting and eventually cantering on hills, jumping, cavalletti, etc.), a rub down with whatever liniment you have available should be all you need. Of course, I would also recommend working with a qualified massage therapist to help you along the way.
    Thanks a bunch! I have to admit I don't have a massage therapist but we do have a Chrio that I work with ( will have to look into though). My trainer had said that when we start we'd do one day a week and work up days of the week along with time on the hills. Luckily I have a good hill to just walk up and down on. So gonna try and start that once a week next week!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

A better approach, IME, is to spend a little time each day doing the hill, rather than making one day a week "hill day." Since you have a hill readily available, why not include a few minutes of walking it in each ride?

Unfortunately, I don't know any qualified massage therapists in your area. You might ask your chiro. Who do you use? Dr. Dill?
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    A better approach, IME, is to spend a little time each day doing the hill, rather than making one day a week "hill day." Since you have a hill readily available, why not include a few minutes of walking it in each ride?

Unfortunately, I don't know any qualified massage therapists in your area. You might ask your chiro. Who do you use? Dr. Dill?
    I use Dr. Rob....definitely will incorporate!! Thanks a bunch. Its just weak and I know once I get it up it will be better support for him.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

Back when I used to play other sports and work out HARD with weights, we never ever worked the same muscle group two days in a row. I have read that it takes 48 hours for the human body to recover from the tiny tears that occur in the muscle during strength training (which is how the muscles become bigger and stronger).

So I would suggest doing enough hill or cavaletti work that Forrest seems like he is tired at the end of it, but not dying, about 2-3 times a week, giving him at least one day off from the hill work in between. In other words, do it every other day or once every two days. You can still ride and work on other stuff in the meantime.

You can also do some massage and stretching on your own...there are some good books with detailed instructions and pictures. IME stretching and massage right after exercise to help dissipate the lactic acid is very helpful in reducing soreness.