The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Finger Lakes Trainer Listings Farewell

It is with great sadness that I announce that it has been decided that it is time that the Finger Lakes Trainer Listings cease operations.

For those of you who haven’t been following the discussion on the “Finest” thread, we found out a couple of months ago that, we were not considered to be a part of the Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program, as we had always thought. This meant that we were on the backside with no protection if anything went wrong, especially from legal ramifications such as lawsuit.

In the course of trying to find a solution, many alternatives were discussed and discarded. Everyone has worked very hard to find a way for us to continue that would be satisfactory to all, but it was not to be. I faced the hard fact, yesterday, after losing one of my best volunteers, that it was time to disband. Maybe members of the organization will go on to form a new group, but this particular group has run its course.

There is no one to blame here, or, maybe, everyone, including me. FLTAP, the track and the volunteers of the Trainer’s Listings have tried mightily, but in the end, in spite of the best efforts of everyone, we face the fact that we have reached a crossroads, and it is time to travel in a new direction.

I am so tired, so sad, and my heart is broken, but I wanted to take the time to explain to all of you on COTH, who have been so very supportive of us over the years, why, while we will be happy to talk about any of the “Finger Lakes Finest” that have been placed over the years, there will not be any new ones to speak about. My most sincere thanks go out to all of you who now have one or more of these Finests in your barn. You know what great horses they are and how lucky you are to have them. You have been wonderful to us, and please know that we do most sincerely appreciate it. It is only with your help that we were able to place around 92 horses in 2009 and 113 horses in 2010.

And, my greatest gratitude goes out to all the people that I have worked with these past few years. You know who some of them are, in particular maunder, foundationmare and SEPowell. Others don’t post as often here, but have been just as instrumental in getting so many Finest into wonderful new homes.

Thanks to everyone, from the bottom of my heart.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Well crap . That just really sucks. I can't believe the FLTAP wouldn't officially cover you guys. Way to screw the horses over, FLTAP.

Is becoming a part of CANTER out of the question?

Sad news indeed....

Thank you ladies for your efforts.....We love our FLF and it is all because of the volunteers who took pictures and posted their cute little blurbs about each horse's special personalities....You dared me to go check him out and how could I resist that face when he stuck his head out of the stall on the backside......

The end of a good thing, I think.....
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

FLTAP has it's reason for not wanting us as part of their organization, amastrike, and we have to respect that. CANTER, also, proved to not be acceptable to all parties involved, and that is also their right.

Please don't be angry at anyone, because no one deserves it. I wish nothing but the best for FLTAP and the track, in the times to come.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

That sucks.

FLTLs was a great way to re-home the Finger Lakes horses and I'm devastated to see it go. Thank you to everyone who has worked on the FLTLs for getting so many horses into great homes. If it wasn't for the trainer listings I may not have my Devon (Devilshire).
    Proud owner of Finger Lakes' Finest Devilshire.

I'm sure there are reasons, but it sure sucks for the hundred or so horses this year who won't find homes.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that.

The only reason I have my OTTB is because you posted about him on this BB in your listing. Otherwise I never would have known about him.

Huge kudos to you for all the horses you've helped!

I don't even know what to say.

I haven't been on COTH as much in recent months and didn't realize this was all going on.

My heart is so sad. But thank you to you, Louise... and the amazing volunteers, as well as all the people who have opened their homes, hearts and wallets to the horses of FL.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I'm sure there are reasons, but it sure sucks for the hundred or so horses this year who won't find homes.
    Please don't make us feel any worse than we already do (I say kindly).

It's definately a grieving process for us, and for me it has not been an easy decision. Stepping away has been one of the most difficult things I've had to do in a very long time.

Oh no...........no! This is heartbreaking news.

I'm at a loss for words.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Thank you for your hard work.

When one door closes, another one opens.

(trying to think positive)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    Please don't make us feel any worse than we already do (I say kindly).

It's definately a grieving process for us, and for me it has not been an easy decision. Stepping away has been one of the most difficult things I've had to do in a very long time.
    Oh no no no, I'm not blaming you guys at ALL! You did amazing work, it just frustrates me that FLTAP is refusing to cover you guys--especially when they link(ed?) to the trainer listings on their website!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that something will pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

Yes, Alagirl, 100% true!
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I am so very sorry to learn that you are ceasing operations. You did wonderful, wonderful work.

I hope this isn't "the end", but merely the beginning of another chapter.

Thank you for all you and your group has done to facilitate the transition for these terrific horses.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Well, that just plain sucks. I wish you and all the other volunteers the very best on your next journery, which I am sure will include helping horses in some capacity. I also have nothing but best wishes for the very deserving horses that need new homes. I am very sad.

Thank you for all the hard work and countless hours you have spent helping the Finest.
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Not much to say beyond what others have said, except this guarantees I won't get another FLs horse, as I do not do "adoptions" so FLTAP is not a potential source for me (and as such, not one I'd be inclined to donate to.) CANTER it is, then. I hope they realize they're only making themselves look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

Alagirl is so right here. All of you ladies will go on to other charities or worth while functions that will give you the opportunity to continue your own personal growth as well as helping others, be it 2-legged or 4-legged.

You all worked very hard to do the Trainer's Listings and a lot of horses, trainer's and new owners really profited by your dedication. I can imagine the heartache you are all feeling but do keep a positive outlook for the future. Give yourselves grieving time but channel your intense and immense energies forward.

Thank you all for the hard work and dedication you showed to the horses.

If nothing else you ladies have some pretty significant laurels to rest your heads upon.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Wise words, Sue!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.