The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Treats for Pony With Cushings?

As I posted over on the health board, my pony was just diagnosed with the early stages of Cushing's.

He also came up super duper lame this week.

Vet is coming out again tomorrow to check out the lameness issue, but I'm anticipating a break from riding (hopefully not permanent!) depending on her findings.

Pony is also very smart, and VERY food-motivated, so I thought that clicker training some tricks would be a fun activity for us while he heals. But, since we've also got to cut out extra sugar in his diet, his usual favorites of peppermints, sour gummy worms, sugar cubes, horse cookies, etc. are probably noooot the best choices! He also dearly, dearly loves his "snacks" so I'm looking for suggestions for cushing's-pony-friendly treats. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Celery
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Herballs from www.hiltonherbsusa.com 100% sugar free and have yet to see a horse refuse one.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Beet Treats, Rice Treats. You might try the rice cakes just check the sugar content.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

y'all are so smart!

Thank you

And Dino also says THANKS for new snack ideas! He would be so sad with no snacks... so happy to learn of low-sugar alternatives!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

McCauley's makes a pelleted feed called Alam that is suitable for horses with Cushings -- They also make it in 1/2" pellets (often called 'cubes') -- The 1/2" pellets work great as horse treats --

http://www.mccauleybros.com/feed/pro...d-22/alam.aspx
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

A second vote for celery. That's what I used to give The Princess (Cushings/IR) on hot summer days.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

My horse liked the hilton herballs for a while and then wouldn't touch them, but Standlee hay now makes hay based treats that have very little else in them. I found them at our local feed store.
    I also use low sugar cereals. May not be ideal, but mini wheats without frosting and some of the kashi cereals seem to be good in moderation (I would be cautious about feeding the whole box but certainly a small handfull isn't an issue).

I have contemplated making my own with rinsed beet pulp, pumpkin, cinnamon, maybe some of his hay pellets, soaked and excess water squeezed out (because I am too lazy to chop hay)....my horse loves cinnamon but he won't touch the withers and whickers treats but used to love gingerbread and such so I was thinking something along those lines but without sugar...have to think on it a bit and experiment though.
    My blog:

RAWR