The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Having had my TB for sale for a while now, I have to agree that they just aren't "in"...at least in this area...anymore.
    I stopped mentioning in my ads that he was a TB, and got lots more calls. Until they asked what breed he was.
    It seems that people think that a) TB's are silly. (Not this boy...I assure you!) b) hard to ride (Again....judge the horse individually, I say!)c) should be CHEAP...no matter what they can do and the amount of training in them!
    I had one person tell me...."I can get a 4 year old WB for only a few thousand more..."
    Sure...and pay $1000.00 a month for 6 or 8 months to get it trained anywhere NAER to what this guy can do already....
    No point in argueing with people.
    Although, I must say I got SOME satisfaction of having a snotty kid turn down looking at my horse because she wanted "Anything but a TB!". I then worked my TB, tossed on a halter and was riding him bare-back to his turn-out while I watched snotty kid get carted all over Hell's Half-acre by a young WB....After she finally came off, I rode my TB over to the other side of the arena to catch said WB,wandered back, handed the reins to her Mom and we meandered our way back out to the field...I couldn't resist saying...."Nope. You wouldn't want a TB like this one!"

I'm easily amused. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

I've always had TB's - they definitely have a "brain" although it's usually working 500 mph a minute! In my experience, TB's have such amazing hearts and will do so much for those who take care of them. I rode in the A/O jumpers for many years and was usually on the ONLY TB in the class! He was a Seattle Slew grandson (sire Slewpy) and had a sturdy build, all muscle, very fast and careful. Eventually I found his style more suitable for the 3'6" child/ adult jumpers where it's to your advantage to gallop, turn and just skim across the jumps. He was a gorgeous horse with great movement. He died last summer and in looking for a new one off the track I just could not find another with his sturdy size and heart. They just don't breed them like they used to!

I recently bought my first WB, but only did so because this horse has a lighter build and is pretty hot - grabs the bit and likes to go to the jumps.

Regardless of breed, a good jumper with a great heart makes them an unbelievable partner!

I love TB's and have had them always. But the idea of riding one after keeping him in a 10X 10 tent stall with no turnout for weeks on end does not fill me with gleeful anticipation. I suspect that the WB's have taken over because they tolerate the life-style of the modern show horse. And we've (almost) gotten used to seeing them as hunters.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pacificsolo:
    I think it's sad that the WB style prevails in the hunters...it looks wierd compared to the sleek TB's I saw showing in the 80's. I like a long, lithe animal compared to a larger, chunky animal...plus, I love the energy and sensitivity of a TB...and they have so much personality and HEART! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is all I was talking about. I didn't mean to get into an argument over WBs vs TBs, nor did I mean to ask whether there were any TBs out there or not. The fact is, the TB type hunter is long gone. There wasn't one single horse that resembled a TB in the hunter ring, either style nor look. The age of the tall, lean, floaty, galloping hunter is long gone it appears. I was just personally saddened by the fact a little bit. Not one horse even slightly resembled the hunters I remembered from the 70s and 80s.

I have also been reading Littauer's old books recently - it's funny to read the old masters where they talk about how the best hunters are TBs, and they talk about all their wonderful qualities. Oh well.

I love my TB for his brain, heart and athleticism.
    A helicopter landed in the area beside the warmup ring at a show, kicking up massive clouds of dust/sand, and stayed there with the rotors turning for about 10 min while I was warming up my TB when he was 4 yrs old at his 2nd show. He just calmly looked over at it like, "what is that doing here?", and kept working normally. The WB's were freaking out and their ridres were having to get off or leave the ring.
    Plus my TB doesn't have a stop in him no matter where I put him or how badly I screw up. He will get me out of trouble without touching the jump.
    I LOVE Tb's!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Show_hunters:
    Peidpiper; Settle down there! I was just posting what my thoughts were. Don't get so defensive, this is an open topic. Also, I do need to define my riding skills to you, or anyone else. I am sorry if you took offense to my post, however I was placing a post as to what I prefer. I've owned and ridden many TB's, there was one TB that I owned, however that was sensible. Maybe it was my luck or not, I've seen better results with a horse that was not a full TB. In my last post you will find that all of my horses are either 50% TB or 75% TB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont trip! wow. Take it easy, nobody is gettin defensive, ask you said "THIS IS AN OPEN TOPIC" everyone is just throwing their 2cents in ... calm down lol.
    "Show me your horse, and I'll tell you what I think of you."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cinder88:
    Having had my TB for sale for a while now, I have to agree that they just aren't "in"...at least in this area...anymore.
    I stopped mentioning in my ads that he was a TB, and got lots more calls. Until they asked what breed he was.
    It seems that people think that a) TB's are silly. (Not this boy...I assure you!) b) hard to ride (Again....judge the horse individually, I say!)c) should be CHEAP...no matter what they can do and the amount of training in them!
    I had one person tell me...."I can get a 4 year old WB for only a few thousand more..."
    Sure...and pay $1000.00 a month for 6 or 8 months to get it trained anywhere NAER to what this guy can do already....
    No point in argueing with people.
    Although, I must say I got SOME satisfaction of having a snotty kid turn down looking at my horse because she wanted "Anything but a TB!". I then worked my TB, tossed on a halter and was riding him bare-back to his turn-out while I watched snotty kid get carted all over Hell's Half-acre by a young WB....After she finally came off, I rode my TB over to the other side of the arena to catch said WB,wandered back, handed the reins to her Mom and we meandered our way back out to the field...I couldn't resist saying...."Nope. You wouldn't want a TB like this one!"

I'm easily amused. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh how much that story just made my day!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ridin' Fool:
    I've always had TB's - they definitely have a "brain" although it's usually working 500 mph a minute! In my experience, TB's have such amazing hearts and will do so much for those who take care of them. I rode in the A/O jumpers for many years and was usually on the ONLY TB in the class! He was a Seattle Slew grandson (sire Slewpy) and had a sturdy build, all muscle, very fast and careful. Eventually I found his style more suitable for the 3'6" child/ adult jumpers where it's to your advantage to gallop, turn and just skim across the jumps. He was a gorgeous horse with great movement. He died last summer and in looking for a new one off the track I just could not find another with his sturdy size and heart. They just don't breed them like they used to!

I recently bought my first WB, but only did so because this horse has a lighter build and is pretty hot - grabs the bit and likes to go to the jumps.

Regardless of breed, a good jumper with a great heart makes them an unbelievable partner! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my mare is a seattle slew grand baby! check her out on Juper Stallions thread!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Perfect Pony:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pacificsolo:
    I think it's sad that the WB style prevails in the hunters...it looks wierd compared to the sleek TB's I saw showing in the 80's. I like a long, lithe animal compared to a larger, chunky animal...plus, I love the energy and sensitivity of a TB...and they have so much personality and HEART! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is all I was talking about. I didn't mean to get into an argument over WBs vs TBs, nor did I mean to ask whether there were any TBs out there or not. The fact is, the TB type hunter is long gone. There wasn't one single horse that resembled a TB in the hunter ring, either style nor look. The age of the tall, lean, floaty, galloping hunter is long gone it appears. I was just personally saddened by the fact a little bit. Not one horse even slightly resembled the hunters I remembered from the 70s and 80s.

I have also been reading Littauer's old books recently - it's funny to read the old masters where they talk about how the best hunters are TBs, and they talk about all their wonderful qualities. Oh well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then I guess bay area california and san diego county california differ, because ive seen pleanty of TBs in both grassfield and hunter arena's, sure there are less than hoped, but they're still around! hahah those warmblood breeders are throwin as much TB into their WB cross babies as possible! .. best mix &lt;3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Show_hunters:
    Both of my horses are TB/QH crosses. I used have TB's, however I'm over their mind set. So, now I have a horse with a brain, yet looks like a TB. So best of both worlds, people are shocked when they see my 4 year old, they have no idea he's 50% QH!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you meant..and it's not offensive at all. I have an appendix, and I think he's the greatest thing on earth..I've often said that I would love a TB, with a QH brain..not to mean that TB's don't have a brian..just that the QH brain is a little more laid back, IMHO.. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I've never actually owned a TB, but the ones I have ridden had huge hearts!

I was at a local show earlier this month riding a sale horse who happens to be a big Trakehner mare. A girl who does eventing was eyeballing her and mentioned that TB's were falling out of favor with eventers for WB's, they especially like Trakehners. I asked if that was because of the format change, but she said it was actually due to the fact that riders needed the warmblood movement to get better dressage scores.

In this area at local shows there are still tons of TB's doing very well...

erica
    http://community.webshots.com/user/greyhoundgal

Member of the OMFG I got banned clique

I am currently half leasing a Thoroughbred who was champion at his horse show two weeks ago with me and a couple of points away from reserve champion with his "mom." He isn't new to the ring though, and has been doing the hunters for a long time (He is 18 now). All of the judges seem to love him when he steps into the ring. Hopfully he will pull the same thing off when we go to the Oaks in September.

I guess it really depends on where you're showing. I suppose here in del mar ( where the surf meets the turf ) TBs wont ever completly phase out, seeing that its home to the Del Mar Racetrack, thoroughbreds rein in Del mar .. Not completly at the shows, shows there are much more WBS .. but TBS again are still there ...

Honestly if i were to get a WB, which I wouldnt mind .. i would just get it for the tail, fat, and laziness .. unless I could find a great hott WB. Thats why I love the crosses, or Holsteiners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sing Mia Song:
    The TB brain isn't for everyone, but it sure is for me! I love TBs and vastly prefer them to anything else. However, I had a lovely QH as a junior hunter, and now have a WB that is sweet as pie, but takes getting used to in the brain department. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Having grown up on a TB farm, were they were raised to either race or show hunters, I have extensive experience breaking, training, and showing TBs. 90% of the TBs I've worked with were very smart, but I have met some that are also very sensitive.

You have to develop a trust with them. Once you do, you have friend for life, and they will do almost anything asked of them. My old trainer (now-retired BNT) always said, "If you're going to get far from home, you better be riding a TB." I always liked that comment.

I've also worked with many QHs, and while they are a lovely breed, I do prefer the TB most of all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jetsmom:
    Plus my TB doesn't have a stop in him no matter where I put him or how badly I screw up. He will get me out of trouble without touching the jump.
    I LOVE Tb's! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great. My guy is just like that. I've had his since birth. He's now 12 yrs old and he's never stopped at a fence no matter how scary, or how bad my approach has been. Honest as the day is long.....

My former 3'6 hunter was a registered OTTB, and undefeated in our area in the Amateur Owner hunters. Not a single warmblood ever beat him. He was just amazing. He was my Eq horse when I was younger as well, and my Chidren's Hunter. As a Children's horse he was champion at 9/10 shows one year.

He raced for 5 or 6 years on the track as a very successful race horse, but I swear he raced all the energy out of him! I had to wear big honkin' spurs in every class just to make him canter.

I used to give him weeks off at a time while in university, and could hop on him and he'd act like he'd been ridden everyday.

He was the BEST hunter I ever had, and I would buy another TB in a heartbeat. (I'm actually awaiting a video on one right now! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif )

My best show horse was a registered TB, and I miss her dearly, she passed away just after foaling. She was the easiest horse of the dozen or so that I have ever started. I think TBs are very smart, talented and very athletic. I understand why people think they might not have a "good brain" as Show_Hunters has pointed out and her statement was not offensive to me at all, but on the other hand maybe they are just too smart sometimes and they outsmart us. I have had a few TBs since my mare passed away and none of them match up to my mare, she read me like a book. I would just think canter and she would canter. I could longe her without a longe line in an open field. She was indeed very smart.
    As for the original post, yes, there are less and less TBs in the show ring and I have no idea why things have changed.
    I saw this coming many years ago in the breeding classes, there were more non TBs than there were TBs. I suppose with the demand for non TBs the supply chain has changed. I ride a full QH now, but he lacks the "glow" and "pizzaz" that my TB mare had in the show ring. And my 6 year old daughter told me that the QH jumps like a cow. Boy do I miss my TB mare!!!!! May you rest in peace, Rhone River's Choice!!! man this is tear jerking..........
    \"A rider is only as good as the horse that is underneath them\"

I have both TBs and WBs. The WBs are "less reactive". It works both ways. They are less sensitive, but once they get something in their head (like they are going the OTHER way) it's really hard to convince them otherwise! My TB is a 4 year old stallion. He had 60 days u/s last year, had the winter off, bred for the summer. I just hopped on him for the first time since last summer. He was a little tense but no "stupids" the first time; the next time he just let out a big sigh and moseyed off. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif. I am entirely pleased with his brain being in good working order.

I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this, but I have a 3 year old TB gelding who is remarkably quiet and has a great brain. I bought him when he was 2, and I was definitely wondering if he was going to be too much horse for me once we had him broke and going. But, it turns out he is just as lazy as the appendix TB/QH that I used to have, and MUCH less spooky. He has very athletic gaits, and I am hoping he can jump as well as he moves. He's not a fat, round looking horse by any means, but I think he'll be handsome enough once he's grown up. Hopefully by the time he's really showing, his breed will be back in fashion! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    Proud Member of Team Barbaro!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by starlight:
    I was at a local show earlier this month riding a sale horse who happens to be a big Trakehner mare. A girl who does eventing was eyeballing her and mentioned that TB's were falling out of favor with eventers for WB's, they especially like Trakehners. I asked if that was because of the format change, but she said it was actually due to the fact that riders needed the warmblood movement to get better dressage scores.

erica </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or possibly it is due to the fame of a certain Trakehner stallion...goes by the name of Windfall II? http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

As far as the OT, yes, there are more warmbloods in the upper levels. Part of that is status of owning an import or even just a WB. (One reason why people try to pass off their draft cross as a WB...it sells).

But, you will also see a lot of the TB hunters that don't look much like the typical TB. The TB hunter is going to be rounder and more filled out than his jumper or eventer counterpart. Being a small, backyard-y type barn, we have more than our fair share of TB's and there are plenty that could pass as WB's. There's also plenty with that trim eventer TB look. And then there's my WB who could pass as a TB...or perhaps a tall Arab. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif

I personally don't think the heavy old style WB look is desired in the hunter ring. You still want the lighter, more TB-ish horses. And it seems to me the best WB hunters move more like the best old school TB hunters...that long daisy cutter trot is still desired, no matter the breed. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"