The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot to love about TBs, but I think it is harder to compete with them now. Not that there aren't plenty of lovely TBs that do very well - but they are in the minority any more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's very true. There are a (very) few exceptional TB's around, showing and doing well, but they have to be quite spectacular to compete well, and that competitive TB seems to be very hard to find.

I own a Tb and a Wb..my Tb is amazing.. I don't get the statement about them not having a brain..i think they are probably the most intelligent breed..and i all the Tbs Ive met have awsome personalities..i love thoroughbreds..the only turn off for me is that i have found the Tbs to be really high matience..atleast mine is.. i love my wb too though hes really awsome, i think they are both awsome horses but yeah its kinda sad there isnt too many Tbs anymore..but then again i just bought a wb over a tb..so who am i to say i miss them??
    Kaitlyn*

I have one! He's only 6, but moved up to the A/Os this year. He's not as fat as I would like him, but people find it hard to believe he's a TB because he's so laid back -- and they say he looks like a WB. He went to the track as a 2/3 yo, but didn't race because he lacked "go-fast."

He's not "spectacular," but a very pleasant A/O horse, cute, pleasant, pretty canter, big step, and when I find all 8 jumps, we get good ribbons at AA shows.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

I'm a TB fan from way back. Since I grew up within spitting distance of three racetracks, I also grew up riding OTT TBs. I love them. I think they're probably the most versatile, wonderful horses in the world. And I still believe that in the hunter ring, a nice TB is hard to beat. And those WBs you see with the nice bascule? Betcha there are quite a few TB parents in the pedigree. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

JMO. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I miss thoroughbreds! I have always had TB's until I bought my latest horse as a baby--he is a Trak(that looks like a TB!). But I adore them, and I still think they are the most spectacularly athletic horses out there. Where are all the Jet Runs and Touch of Class horses now? It is sad to think they are out there somewhere...wasted talent.
    I also find it amusing we have a division called non-TB hunter. I think they should call it "TB hunter" now. Even the local unrated divisions here are dominated by warmbloods. Even then, I have noticed, it is more prestigious to own an imported WB over a domestic one. I think this all has to do with getting a ready "made" horse straight over from Europe. The average person these days wants an easy horse that they can climb on and show as soon as the horse steps off the plane. TB's require a remake and it seems many don't want to make that effort anymore.http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

On Memorial Day at Devon my trainer and I were discussing how much the hunter horses have changed. Twenty years ago, I remember having a warmblood (hunter) for sale and the agent didn't want to tell people he was a warmblood. That's certainly not the case now!

Tess is a 50/50 appendix. Everyone thinks she looks like some sort of hanoverian, but she isn't. LOL. Standards have changed a bit, and judges favor the big warmblood movement over he delicate TB movement. I love my horse, I love her atitude and personality, and she is the smartest horse I have ever sat on. I don't think that it's an exclusively TB thing to be smart, though...
    -Grace

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Perfect Pony:
    I went to a big H/J show near me this past weekend, all excited to watch the top hunters around this area. Lovely horses I guess, but they just didn't excite me. There wasn't a TB or anything that even slightly resembled one to be seen.

I know people try to say that a nice TB will still place/win blah blah blah, and I now find it very hard to believe anymore. At least here on the west coast.

Anyway, I just miss those sleek, fit, gorgeous TBs I guess. All the horses were so big and fat and looked like overgrown stuffed animals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, which show did you go to. I know over here (Del Mar) .. show park etc, I see TB's at the A shows, definatly not dominating the whole show but there are a few, a lot more in jumpers however. And at the local shows ( what i show on ) http://www.gsdhja.org, thoroughbreds dominate. However our local shows in san diego county are getting quite intense, this past season there have been MAX 6 local show barns attending, the rest 15-20 something all A show barns. It's like there is no such thing as a county show anymore lol. I LIKE IT, its ok, im paying the local show price to compete against better competition. And still doing well lol.
    "Show me your horse, and I'll tell you what I think of you."

Well, not really. But then I loooove those big ol' WBs! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif Of course, that's not to see I don't appreciate TBs, either.
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

The TBs that are still around are fat, with fake tails and move more like warmbloods now.

My trainer's daughter has two TB junior hunters, one of which went to Devon this year and both will hopefully be going to indoors.

I have nothing against warmbloods, after all I will be showing one at the end of the year, but im always up for the underdogs, also I own a TB and thats all i've owned ever since my parents have started buying me my horses.

I like the speed, the brain work, the obvious hard thinking going on in the thoroughbreds mind, they hate touching those fences, and such diva's! Well mine is.

I do like Holsteiners! They seem to have similarities to TB's. Im showing this gorgeous boy at the end of the year in eq!

If anything though, I prefer to have either a tb, or a TB Cross ( love them! )... If a WB, then one with some GO! ... Maybe even a mutt? those things can be quite impressive

I was never a PMU believer really, always wanted one just to feel like i did something to help, but recently at my barn we just got a PMU horse in, its been here for 6 years ( its 7 years old ) ... this thing gets AIR! ITs free jumping 5ft + with inches to spare, and this horse is out of shape, I can only imagin what this beast is going to be like when hes going well in training and worked in to shape, not forgetting to mention, he turned out quite decent looking. (perch / tb) not really a fan of the cross but, hey, looks good to me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tha Ridge:
    The TBs that are still around are fat, with fake tails and move more like warmbloods now.

My trainer's daughter has two TB junior hunters, one of which went to Devon this year and both will hopefully be going to indoors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Very true I must admit, I found myself purchasing a fake tail for mine ( yikes ) ...! But they are still TBS!

Come to think of it, A majority of the Warmbloods even have the fake tails in now. Walking through the isle's after schooling from the last A show, I found myself making that http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/uhoh.gif face lol, like, warmbloods = tail to boot! guess theres never enough tail.

I AM A TAIL FANATIC! you should see my TB's tail naturally lol. Compaired to what it was when she came to me, its nice now.

I went to a big H/J show in Louisiana last summer and I remember there being a lot of TBs. I guess its whatever is popular in that area.

I own a TB, but I'm looking for another horse I can do serious showing w/. I'd like another TB or TB cross, but if its not, I wont pass it up if it fits the bill.

TBs RULE! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.
    ~Winston Churchill

I still have mine or he has me. He's still really good looking and so intelligent and fun to ride!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by _Wallysfolley_:
    I went to a big H/J show in Louisiana last summer and I remember there being a lot of TBs. I guess its whatever is popular in that area.

I own a TB, but I'm looking for another horse I can do serious showing w/. I'd like another TB or TB cross, but if its not, I wont pass it up if it fits the bill.

TBs RULE! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TB Crosses are the best to go with right now, because of the WB Craze, you get the TB Talent with the WB looks, well thats what i think anyway. Its always nice to have a big dumblood with the tb mentality. Gotta love your dumbloods though, and their tails LOL.

TBs RULE!!! (sorry) If you think about it, most of todays WBs have alot of TB in them. Heck, almost all of the top 3 day horses are TBs. WBs cannot keep up with them. My TB is very smart, and a quick learner. Hey isn't there a nick name for warmbloods? Starts with a d, ends with a b, and has the word blood after it? Oh please do not shoot the messenger here! I did not start it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Ooops, Delmar duckie pretty much summed it all up! Duckies not shy at all!!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

oops haha, i have nothing against wbs at all! just knew their nickname LOL but nothing against them .. i ride them all the time. of course im a TB person tho .. hmf.

It's interesting to note that I think many WB breeders are procuding lighter, more TB-like horses now than ever. What goes around comes around... I had a Dutch one who could have easily passed for a TB, minus his huge feet.

I think what I miss about TBs, isn't that they aren't around, it's that the market has shifted and is no longer domestic (TBs). As show horse prospects at the highest levels the demand for TBs seems to have dropped, and I don't think trainers look at them as much any more, regardless of whether they do indeed have the talent. It's become too popular to go overseas, because you can automatically get a similar horse in terms of ability for hunters, but sell it at a much higher price or get a bigger commission.

In general, (not always though) I'd estimate that a 3'6" WB that can do hunter/eq is likely to sell for more than a TB that can do the same, and it has nothing to do with ability, it's that I think the market is hotter for WBs.

Plus, the horses in Europe are prepared from infancy for jumping, as it is so popular there. Racing is much bigger here, so that is why our domestic breed no longer is servicing the H/J community as much anymore. I personally think it quite an obstacle to retrain a racer and get them to relax. Some have the right mind, but others are so wired up they never settle.

I think the underlying issue too is that TBs are not bred as sport horses. They are bred as race horses. As the breed focuses more on speed than endurance, I think they are getting finer boned and less sturdy for the concussion of jumping. I hope the racing industry infuses some better bone someday.

I loved some of the TB sport horses of the past, For The Moment and Gem Twist come to mind, along with many hunters. Wish I could find one of those on the track these days! lol... but it seems less and less likely. Are there even any international jumpers, even national level jumpers, out there now that are purebred TB?

Peidpiper; Settle down there! I was just posting what my thoughts were. Don't get so defensive, this is an open topic. Also, I do need to define my riding skills to you, or anyone else. I am sorry if you took offense to my post, however I was placing a post as to what I prefer. I've owned and ridden many TB's, there was one TB that I owned, however that was sensible. Maybe it was my luck or not, I've seen better results with a horse that was not a full TB. In my last post you will find that all of my horses are either 50% TB or 75% TB.