The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Seriously worried about Brown Recluses in my Barn

I keep reading that the Brown Recluse isn't really common in Georgia...they need to come to my barn. They mostly come out at night so I guess they're nocturnal. But today I moved some hay and encountered what was truly the biggest BR I've ever seen. I killed him but measured him and his body was literally 1.25 inches long and his legs were over 2 inches long! I don't know how to get rid of these things - will normal pesticides work on BR's that are this large? I was really close to this one before I saw him and he could easily have bitten me.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

If the spider was really 1.25 inches long, then he couldn't possibly have been a brown recluse. A *really really big* brown recluse would be 1/2" long. They are more typically 3/8" long.

More info that should put your mind at ease:
    http://spiders.ucr.edu/recluseid.html
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Google Wolf Spider. Is that what you saw?

They are HUGE and scary but really s-l-o-w, and I believe non-venomous. Don't know if you have them in GA.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Thanks Jn4jenny & Crooked Horse - I hope you're right but they don't fit the description at all of a Wolf Spider - they're not fuzzy in the least. They don't quite fit the description of a Brown Recluse either but those are the only two I know of that carry violins on their backs. I haven't gotten close enough to count their eyes but I know the BR has only six eyes. I'm going to get my husband to put this one in a container and I'm taking it to the county extension office Monday - I have been puzzling over this for years now but this is the first time I've had one this big and this close to me. They have a really sharp and distinct violin on their backs and legs that have no hair on them. Whatever they are, we definitely are growing them too big here!
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    Thanks Jn4jenny & Crooked Horse - I hope you're right but they don't fit the description at all of a Wolf Spider - they're not fuzzy in the least. They don't quite fit the description of a Brown Recluse either but those are the only two I know of that carry violins on their backs.
    There are dozens of spider species with the violin pattern on their back. And conversely, brown recluses can show up without the violin pattern if they've recently molted.

You'e probably got the utterly harmless, can't-even-penetrate-human-skin-with-its-jaws Southern House Spiders. It's one of the most common spiders in the south and it looks a whole lot like the brown recluse--just bigger. Like about 2 inches across. Which is the size that you're describing, fancy that.
    http://www.spiderzrule.com/housespider.htm

And if you do have Southern House Spiders, LUCKY YOU--they are probably keeping your fly population in check!

(In case it wasn't obvious, my teenage "when I grow up" obsession was to become an entomologist. Thankfully I outgrew it!)

I had a horse bitten by a brown recluse 20 years ago and it freaked me out and sent me on my own paranoid 'brown recluse witch hunt.' Fortunately horse was ok - he was bitten on the ankle and although it was a bit scary waiting to see how deep the venom had gotten - horse was never even lame, and nothing critical was affected.

At that point I called an exterminator and he told me it was not easy to exterminate for spiders. Here's the gross part. Stop reading now if you're easily ooged out. Pesticides work on roaches because roaches walk in the pesticide, and then lick their feet, ingesting the poison. Spiders don't do that - so you can kill the ones that are THERE, but there will be no way to prevent/kill new ones. I didn't pursue it and eventually forgot about it....have not had another problem since.

And yes, brown recluses are very small. Even if you have them - you probably will never see them. They also live on the ground.

jn4jenny - I went all the way thru the pictures in your link and it's not one of those for sure. We have it in a bag and I took a photo of it. If the legs were fuzzy, I'd think it was a wolf spider but there is absolutely no fuzz on them.

cyndi - you just confirmed my fear - that a typical pesticide might not help much. I wasn't fond of the idea of using strong pesticides in the barn anyway.
    Susan N.

Nasty!
    What about this: http://hobospider.com/info/index.html

I am REALLY sorry that I googled big spiders in Georgia.

Where is the creeped-out vomiting smiley?

1 members found this post helpful.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

*backing away from this thread*, why do I even click on threads that have the word spider in the title????

I'm NOT opening any of those links, I won't sleep well if I do.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

It looks like a hobo spider to me!

Post a pic of your spider! I'll try to i.d. it.

Check out this site for pictures of Georgia spiders:

http://www.darlingtonschool.org/facu...web%20page.htm

I'm pretty much arachno-phoebic myself but it would make me feel a lot better if I find out this guy is not venomous. Ellebeaux - there is a photo link in post #7 above. Thanks for trying to help - I haven't found any spiders that look like this one yet.

ETA - be aware that the torso is twisted in the photo - there is a violin on his back in similar colors to the one on his bottom part (the striped part that shows in the photo).
    Susan N.

I'm pretty much arachno-phoebic myself but it would make me feel a lot better if I find out this guy is not venomous.
    All spiders are venemous, but most have neither a potent enough venom nor sharp/big enough jaws to cause substantial damage to a human being. Honestly, even brown recluse bites are often non-events as long as the bite was given appropriate first aid (rinsing with water, ice, etc.). The ones you see on the internet that look like absolute hell are the extremely rare ones that developed bacterial infections--they are not necessarily reactions to the venom itself.

Ellebeaux - there is a photo link in post #7 above. Thanks for trying to help - I haven't found any spiders that look like this one yet.
    If it's hairy, then it's probably some kind of wolf spider. If it's not hairy, then I vote for funnel weaver/grass spider. Neither of these are harmful spider varieties.

To the folks who are voting for hobo spider, that spider is only found in the U.S. Northwest. The OP is in Georgia.

bluedejavu, the chances that you're going to find an exact picture of this spider are slim to none. There are something like 2000 varieties of grass spider alone. You can get it IDed by your extension office if that will put your mind at ease, but as it's definitely not a brown recluse, you don't have much to worry about.

Do you have cats or chickens on your farm? Both eat spiders and can help control your population.

Oh, I can't tell!

It looks like a wolf spider but it would be nice to get a pic from the top to see the design on the thorax. But from what you said about the size, it's too big to be a brown recluse.

Plus you live outside of its known range:

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealt...usespiders.htm

check out these wolf spider pics:

http://www.spiderzrule.com/wolf5.htm

ellebeaux - you get the grand prize for the day - you found the spider!!! On your spiderzrule link, the first grouping of 4 pictures show a suspected wolf spider. Unfortunately the guy didn't get an answer to his question but I'm guessing since it was on the wolf spider page, then that means it is one? At any rate, since you got the grand prize, I'm mailing him to you as your prize - just send me your addy. (JK)

jn4jenny - you make me feel a whole lot better about these spiders. I guess I should have said potent venom instead of just venomous but that's what I meant by venomous. I don't want to get bitten by this guy - he looks like he could pack a painful bite. But still better than a brown recluse. What we really have a problem with around here is Black Widows, but at least they are easy to spot with their distinct black bodies and red marking.
    Susan N.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    Google Wolf Spider. Is that what you saw?

They are HUGE and scary but really s-l-o-w, and I believe non-venomous. Don't know if you have them in GA.
    Crooked Horse - In reading back, you were the first one to mention Wolf Spider. The only reason I wasn't sure was because the ones I've been seeing are not hairy, plus they can move pretty fast across my concrete center aisle and you said they were pretty slow. The one I killed today isn't hairy at all. But you were evidently right according to ellebeaux's link. So if she turns down the grand prize, do you want me to mail it to you instead?

I'm much happier now that I know this is not a Brown Recluse.
    Susan N.

I have NOOOo idea if these things really work or not, but my mom had one in my old bedroom and there were always a bunch of dead spiders in the middle of the floor. don't know if it was that or soemthing else killing the spiders.

I don't know what they're called but you plug it in, and it clicks and is supposed to kill spiders.

ellebeaux - you get the grand prize for the day - you found the spider!!! ...I'm mailing him to you as your prize - just send me your addy.
    Gee thanks

I used to work on St. Catherine's Island and I was told we had black widows but no brown recluses, so I thought the mainland might be the same. We also had copperheads, rattlesnakes, and alligators...gotta love Georgia!

Wolf spiders are your friends, they eat lots of pests, so try to tolerate them

Wolf spiders are your friend.

THey can get very large and if big enough you can hear them walk across a feed bag or concrete floor.

THey do in other bugs and spiders.

Most spiders are good things. Not fond of the recluses or the widows but the rest I protect.

Some garden spiders are huge and build huge webs very quickly. I hang signs on them so folks leave them be. When they are done raising their young they move on. They are hell on flies.

Some spider caught a mouse one time. Fascinating. Welcomed them in the barn after that!