The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting a horse sponsored

Is the only way to get a horse sponsored to shell out all the money to get it some show miles, hire a famous rider, then go seeking for a company to lend a helping hand? Know a fabulous high potential horse, but just isn't getting in the ring enough for excitement to be built around him. The owner is still dealing with graduate school and all of that jazz so she doesn't have the $ to get him at the bigger shows consistently, but he could be a real success if he got in the ring. Any stories about sponsorships or suggestions on how to get this guy sponsored?

I think that you have to find someone to go into half or full ownership of him, and then they shell out the $$ and reap the rewards (if this guy is really worth his salt). They would find a rider and supply tack, pay the bills etc

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    I think that you have to find someone to go into half or full ownership of him, and then they shell out the $$ and reap the rewards (if this guy is really worth his salt). They would find a rider and supply tack, pay the bills etc
    The girl has been offered a lot for him, but she doesn't want to sell. Don't know if anyone has approached her about partial ownership. I know she is ok with someone else being his rider, but doesn't want to just sell... he is one of those horses you never sell, like after he is done with the GPs you use him for your kids eq horse then let him live in your pasture with that one pony you just couldn't let go of eating too many carrots and getting lots of love.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwoodeq View Post
    The girl has been offered a lot for him, but she doesn't want to sell. Don't know if anyone has approached her about partial ownership. I know she is ok with someone else being his rider, but doesn't want to just sell... he is one of those horses you never sell, like after he is done with the GPs you use him for your kids eq horse then let him live in your pasture with that one pony you just couldn't let go of eating too many carrots and getting lots of love.
    So, what's in it for the sponsor then?
    They put in a ton of money and will never make it back through a sale.
    Or a rider comes along who develops it for her on their bills, has a few good rides in the GPs if all goes well, and then she says, "Thanks!" and keeps the horse.

Why would somebody just start shelling out thousands as a donation to this horse's career?

She could buy some gum ball machines and set them up all over the place and use the money to sponsor the horse herself. Its been done. Otherwise it is really hard to find a sponsor becuase there really isn't a lot in it for them unless the horse is showing internationally. Those are the folks that get the sponsorship because it is advertising for the sponsor, like Audi or whatever company. There are very few souls who want to sponsor simply for the love of it but when they come along they are golden. I hate to think how many horses and riders have been wasted because they can't afford the game at the high level and sponsors cannot be found. I know of someone who sold shares in their horse and pulled in some funds that way but again people want to get something out of their investment and we sure know most horses don't make money.

It sounds like you just need a good rider to show it rather than a sponsor. If it's a really nice horse then prize money will cover nearly all or a lot of it's show costs. All your friend needs to do is start approaching riders and see if someone is interested. If the owner doesn't have the money to pay for someone to show him then she might consider approaching some young pros who would be more likely to do it for free just so they can get the experience.

Once the horse and rider start doing well in the show ring then it'll be much easier to get sponsors.

How to get a sponsor...be winning SO much people WANT to be associated with you.

But to get to those winning stages is going to come out of your own pocket.

And there needs to be some sort of pay off for the sponsor. Sponsors aren't going to shell out $$$ just to say look I am with that horse & have it wear a saddle pad with their name.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    So, what's in it for the sponsor then?
    They put in a ton of money and will never make it back through a sale.
    Or a rider comes along who develops it for her on their bills, has a few good rides in the GPs if all goes well, and then she says, "Thanks!" and keeps the horse.

Why would somebody just start shelling out thousands as a donation to this horse's career?
    I agree I don't see what's in it for a sponsor, but she is looking for a sponsor, not an investor. Sponsors don't expect to make cold hard cash out of a sponsorship, they expect to build brand awareness.

So, OP, how do you plan to bring a notable amount of awareness to this generous sponsor? You can wear an embroidered saddle pad, hang a banner on your stall, put an ad on your web site (which is not likely to be heavily trafficked) but this really doesn't bring a ton of attention. The kicker is that the horse goes in televised Grand Prixs (is it just me or are there wayyy fewer televised GPs these days?), and that he consistently performs well.

Big Name Riders get sponsored by clothing and tack because they have a habit of starting trends.

Which I guess brings me right back to meupatdoes' point: I don't think horses get "sponsored", they get invested in. Riders get sponsored, since they have the added perk of being able to speak, and thus sing said sponsor praises.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

Boy, that's alot of gum balls...

Now, as I read this, there is no information about what division. But we are led to believe we are talking USEF top level rateds, the horse has no reputation, no mileage (as in Green) and owner is not willing to allow any partnerships or consider sale and needs somebody to assume most or all costs to develop it and bring it thru the ranks?

So why would a sponsor want to finance an unknown horse up through the ranks under a professional rider at an annual cost well into the 5 figures to get their logo on a saddle pad...in the schooling Jumpers on Wednesday afternoon. Or A First Year Green Hunter on Thursday morning???

I actually do know some BNRs who are always looking for a ride but only one with a checkbook attached or a partnership/syndicate/ownership share involved-and they want care, custody and control so they can manage it to their standard.

Oh, Prize money???? By the time you get to the very top levels where it sounds like alot of money-you will have spent alot more to get there.

OP should tell friend to sell it or put it into an LLC and take on partners, even in this market, if it is that spectacular, it will sell/attract partners.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I ride with a talented, up and coming professional who is looking for a situation like this. She needs a horse that can do the big classes to help promote her own career, and she can cover the costs. I'm sure there are others out there like this. The horse gets miles in the GP ring and the owner may not have to pay much to get him there. But I'm guessing it would be difficult to find the right match with a young pro, and to trust the training program, etc. In the case of my trainer, she's the assistant to a BNT so there's even more value to have the horse in a program like that.

But, I did not get the impression that OPs friend wants to put him in a program with somebody else and surrender control that I am sure this young Pros BNT boss would want??? Friend is looking for somebody to finance the horse's career for her and will retain ownership for future personal use???

If she would turn it over, that is a possibility. But young Pro needs to know upfront friend has no intention of ever selling the horse so no sale % or commissions would come out of it. Typically "covering all costs" has it's limits, even for a Pro.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.