The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Darn dog...

I gave my lab his Interceptor pill this morning after breakfast and he must've had an upset tummy. About 3 hours later, his entire breakfast lay on my laminate floor. I forgot about giving him the pill until this evening, but from the looks of that pile on the floor, I'm guessing that pill was probably in there somewhere. I'll call my vet tomorrow, but I'm guessing he'll have me re-dose him. At $10/pill, I wish I would've picked thru and recycled it!

Needless to say, doggie received no dinner this evening and he's most unhappy with me!
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    from the looks of that pile on the floor, I'm guessing that pill was probably in there somewhere...At $10/pill, I wish I would've picked thru and recycled it!
    Ewwww! You are braver than me. My parents have salvaged cash, leather glove, dog collar, ...the kitchen sink...from their lab's deposits. Yuck. (and yes it is a miracle he has only needed one obstruction surgery)

I would call the vet and ask if you need to re-dose: maybe you'll luck out and won't need to.

Vet says to wait a few days and then re-dose him. It's pretty much what I expected.
    Cindy

Some dogs have a bad reaction (upset tummy) from heartworm meds. Maybe that caused him to throw up?

My dog threw up his pill a few months ago and I made my husband dig through and get it. We made a deal a long time ago, I clean up the poop/pee, he has to do the vomit. Thankfully our dog rarely has an accident inside and also rarely vomits.

He's been on Interceptor since he was a young pup. I gave it to him at the same time I usually do - after breakfast. The only thing different, is that this was a new box. I'm going to give it to him mid-day next time, and see if that helps. If he gets sick from it, I just might call the vet to see if there are issues with that batch#. Getting sick from Interceptor is not normal for my dog.
    Cindy

I'm not sure on the interceptor but I know for Comfortis (the flea pill) that if they keep it down for at least an hour they are supposedly good and you shouldn't have to re-dose.