The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How far do you drive to ride your horse?

I'm in the Service and being shuffled around the US as most Service men and women are at times. My new home looks like it may be a longer distance from a decent barn than I am used to. A little over an hour to get to a hunter/jumper barn. Anyone else struggle with this? I don't mind driving I just need to share in my frustrations.

I drive about 45 each way on a good day to where I ride. I-85 in 5:00 traffic on fridays can take me up to an hour and a half. But on good days and traffic moving and driving a wee bit over the speed limit I can make it in 45. The main thing that sucks is gas right now.

I drive an hour and a half each way to ride my horse now. It is a bit frustrating as I generally get out on the weekends and gas has sky rocketed in the last month.

I am thinking that I can't keep it up forever but my horse seems happy so, that makes it worth it in my mind.

Good luck; hang in there.

Something like 31 or 32 miles, 45 minutes each way.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Quote Originally Posted by ChafedToBits View Post
    I drive an hour and a half each way to ride my horse now. It is a bit frustrating as I generally get out on the weekends and gas has sky rocketed in the last month.

I am thinking that I can't keep it up forever but my horse seems happy so, that makes it worth it in my mind.

Good luck; hang in there.
    That makes me feel better, some of the really nice places are 1.5 hours away. Do you show and have a trainer ride your horse during the week?

I'm about half an hour each way...But the care at my new place is so good, I'd drive an hour or more without complaint! I also go up at least 4-5 days per week.

56 MILES each way with 2 kids in the car can u tell i love my barn????

When I was on the east coast I drove up to an hour to get to my barn. When I moved to Indiana I found an apartment that was close to work, and 35-40 min to the barn. Then I moved so that I could be closer to my horse. Now it only takes 10 minutes, but I have a 45 minute commute to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Frivian View Post
    When I was on the east coast I drove up to an hour to get to my barn. When I moved to Indiana I found an apartment that was close to work, and 35-40 min to the barn. Then I moved so that I could be closer to my horse. Now it only takes 10 minutes, but I have a 45 minute commute to work!
    Your second scenario is what I am doing now

Quote Originally Posted by alex21 View Post
    Your second scenario is what I am doing now
    Your first scenario is what I am most likely transitioning too

I haven't owned a horse, but I've done everything from 20 minutes to an hour. Ironically, I was riding most frequently when the drive was an hour, since I had free access to a horse.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I was at 30-40 minutes each way OR 60 minutes each way (depending on if I was at my house or my boyfriends). Unfortunately, I lost my license on Jan 3 (due to medical issues) and it was SO hard to get to the barn...even once a week). My poor gelding ended up being neglected (not fed AT ALL) for weeks. I went out one day after not being able to get there and he was skinny and unhappy. (I picked him up that day and took him to my bf's wonderful farm.)
    I also brought my new horse (who was boarded elsewhere,) to my boyfriends farm, so now theyre just three driveways down.
    If my horses werent here, I would never see them, Luckily, (if I remain conscious for the next 27-ish days!) i'll have my license back and can drive to shows! YAY!

I've done the long driving to the barn...it sucks big time...but just be glad you CAN drive. I had my license from 16-23...all of asudden, its gone. It's worse than you can imagine if you board. Just getting a farrier or board check out to the barn was hard for me.

Okay, rant over.

It takes me about 45-50 minutes unless I hit rush hour, in which case it might take well over an hour. For me the drive is worth it to be with my trainer.

I myself could walk to the barn, but there are many people who drive 45 minutes to an hour one way to ride, mostly because traffic is so bad around here. Another friend, when she lived in Chicago, drove over an hour to see her horse.

I expect Peggy to weigh in soon...
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

About 40 minutes from home, 20 from school.

Used to commute three minutes, now commute 50. So worth it to be getting really good instruction.

35 minutes from home, 45-50 minutes from work. Exactly 30 minutes from home if I carpool with my friend in her Beamer Not many barns closer to me - I live in San Francisco, on the edge of the Mission District. But my barn is wonderful and amazing and I wouldn't go to one closer by even if it existed.

20ish now, 45ish in the winter. great music or a recorded book might help you with the long drives. good luck!
    Atlas: Jag älskar min häst!

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."

15 Minutes

I drive 22.5 miles one way. It takes about 30 min if I drive on the highway.Prior to that I was at a farm that was about a 15min drive(about 1/2 the distance). I love the farm where I board. All the boarders are middle aged ladies, except for one 24yo girl. No drama, it is great! The farm is 100 acres and we have permission to ride on several neighboring farms to the tune of at least another 100 acres. The ring is large with good jumps, and wide enough that you can set up a small dressage arena at one end widthwise without even having to move jumps.