The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default UK Eventers

Need some help...

Who are some well-known UK eventers that are also trainers?

I am moving to London in less than three months. Right now I'm training with an amazing 3* rider that also happens to be a great girl and coach. I'd like to find a similar setup living in the UK- riding with a trainer that runs an active competition barn.

So, what are trainers that are within traveling distance that I might be able to ride with? Or, if they are based somewhere else in the country, they might still be a good lead to potentially purchase a horse from. Too expensive to ship my current mount

Forgot to add that I do plan on asking on Horse&Hound. Just thought I'd try here as well.

So this doesn't really help you in your quest to find a 3/4* trainer over there- but I just wanted to say JEALOUS!!! I lived in London for 5 months and the only place I could find to ride was in Hyde Park (there are 2 barns/liveries that are allowed in Hyde Park) But I was also limited to public transport since I was a recent 22 year old college grad with a working student visa! I don't remember anyone mentioning eventers in the area, but then again I was limited with what I could do...

but a quick note about horse things to do over there- check out Olympia Horse Show (if you haven't heard of it before!) Also the play "War Horse" is suppose to be fabulous and done with life like horse puppets.

I think Horse&Hound is probably you safest bet in finding help, but you never know!

Maybe check out the pony club over there? They might be able to get you a lead somewhere...

Good luck with your move and ENJOY it over there!!!! (Don't forget to "Mind the Gap!" hehehehe!!!!!!)
    proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse (and one useful horse!)

Horse Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by besum1 View Post
    Also the play "War Horse" is suppose to be fabulous and done with life like horse puppets.
    No need to leave the country just to see War Horse, we have it right here in NYC, at Lincoln Center. You're right, it is supposed to be amazing, I hope to see it soon.

Are you going to be *in* London? Will you have transportation? I'm up north in Manchester, but I've had to a) get a car and b) drive 30+ minutes to find eventing stuff (but I am in the city centre, so proper urban to countryside type drive). That said, you should have things that are a lot closer.
    She's not an eventer, but the "freelance instructor" (http://freelanceinstructorsdiary.blogspot.com/)
    is in London and may be able to give you some tips. Will you need a place with school horses? Will you have the money to loan (lease) one to be part of a programme? How far are you willing to travel? There is a lot more eventing down south than up here (sigh), but you still might need to cast a decent sized net to get what you want.
    Feel free to PM, and I'm sure everyone on H&H will help as well! Oh, and if you're here in time, a bunch of girls that I know through riding and I will all be going to Burghley to watch the event, you should come along if you like. It's going to be amazing!

I have no idea where they are in relation, but Mike and Emma are over there, I bet they'd know someone good.

Where abouts in London?

I was with Vicky Collins back in 2002. She was in east Sussex back then. I think it took about 30 minutes by train to London.
    Don't have any contact info on her but her place was right next to Michelham Priory.

She used to ride I & A... Looks like she's still active at Novice (prelim)

Eventers I can think of around London and home counties.

http://www.gemmatattersall.com/

Sharon Hunt is now in Kent - http://www.sharonhunteventing.com/index.html

Might be a bit far but Nigel and Anne Taylor are very good at Aston Le Walls but probably 90 mins from London.

http://www.chapmanequestrian.co.uk/ - Rickmansworth is on the tube line.

http://www.katelukaseventing.com/?menu=1

http://www.sampenn.co.uk/

The system is very different for trainers in the UK to the US but I am sure you will get something sorted out.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Check out the BE website; http://www.britisheventing.com/page....d+Coaches+List
    Have a map on hand !
    Trainers and coaches are different.

There is also a forum; http://www.britisheventing.com/forum...venting+Forums

Be prepared for some culture shock.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by besum1 View Post
    So this doesn't really help you in your quest to find a 3/4* trainer over there- but I just wanted to say JEALOUS!!! I lived in London for 5 months and the only place I could find to ride was in Hyde Park (there are 2 barns/liveries that are allowed in Hyde Park) But I was also limited to public transport since I was a recent 22 year old college grad with a working student visa! I don't remember anyone mentioning eventers in the area, but then again I was limited with what I could do...

but a quick note about horse things to do over there- check out Olympia Horse Show (if you haven't heard of it before!) Also the play "War Horse" is suppose to be fabulous and done with life like horse puppets.

I think Horse&Hound is probably you safest bet in finding help, but you never know!

Maybe check out the pony club over there? They might be able to get you a lead somewhere...

Good luck with your move and ENJOY it over there!!!! (Don't forget to "Mind the Gap!" hehehehe!!!!!!)
    I'm REALLY hoping I can find a practical way to get out to an actual competitive event barn, I've considered riding at Hyde park while I'm scoping things out just so I don't get out of shape and because its so close...

Might try contacting some PCs. And don't worry, I will mind the gap! Heard that SO many times already its not even funny.

Above post reported.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

What is with all the spam coth has got lately? Arghhhh....

Years ago I went to camp with a girl who rode here http://www.waysidestables.com/stable-services.html its near Windsor Great Park, which is a short train journey from London. She did PC and Eventing, though I don't think at the time she did much beyond Pre-Novice, which is equivalent to US training (we were young - low teens). She actually lived in Windsor Great Park - it sounded like an idealistic life style to me when back in my young completely, 100% horse crazy stage...heck, it STILL sounds like a pretty good lifestyle. Anyway, I remember her being a really good rider so the instruction, at least then, must have been very good.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

When I lived in London (about 10 years ago), I freelanced as an instructor in both Kingston Riding School and Trent Park Riding School - both accessible by train/ bus from Centra London.
    Neither would be strictly competitive eventing barns, but they would probably still have some nice schoolmasters. Kingston takes hacks out on Richmond Park which is lovely - just watch out for the deer popping out from hedges!

The only way you could regularly ride and work in London is to live out of town, near the yard you frequent, and commute in to work. They have public transport/commuting DOWN in London and no need to drive. So look in Counties close by like, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire, Middlesex.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by JennieRose View Post
    Are you going to be *in* London? Will you have transportation? I'm up north in Manchester, but I've had to a) get a car and b) drive 30+ minutes to find eventing stuff (but I am in the city centre, so proper urban to countryside type drive). That said, you should have things that are a lot closer.
    She's not an eventer, but the "freelance instructor" (http://freelanceinstructorsdiary.blogspot.com/)
    is in London and may be able to give you some tips. Will you need a place with school horses? Will you have the money to loan (lease) one to be part of a programme? How far are you willing to travel? There is a lot more eventing down south than up here (sigh), but you still might need to cast a decent sized net to get what you want.
    Feel free to PM, and I'm sure everyone on H&H will help as well! Oh, and if you're here in time, a bunch of girls that I know through riding and I will all be going to Burghley to watch the event, you should come along if you like. It's going to be amazing!
    Yes, I will be right smack in the middle of London. Very likely will have a flat in West London, so farms outside of the city to the Northwest, West, or Southwest will be easiest to get to. I haven't yet looked into whether I can afford a car. I would use it only to travel to ride, of course. I could certainly afford to purchase one, but paying for parking/gas/the toll in and out of the city may prove just too much. I may be better off renting...

To answer your other questions, I am not looking for "school horses" per say but perhaps some mid-level-to-higher level event horses with some competition experience that I could full or at least part loan. I am past the school horse point in my riding career. I may be looking to buy a horse, but it will depend on how convienent a place I can find to ride with an event trainer. I don't want to purchase a horse just to not have the time/money to commute out to take care of it.

I'll probably be sending you and maybe others a PM soon, I have so much to learn! As for Burghley, I'll likely be arriving a day or two after its over. It depends on my visa/flight prices/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The only way you could regularly ride and work in London is to live out of town, near the yard you frequent, and commute in to work. They have public transport/commuting DOWN in London and no need to drive. So look in Counties close by like, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire, Middlesex.
    That's kind of what I'm afraid of- but surely there are equestrians that live in the city that still manage to ride somewhat regularly? Right now I live in Seattle. Its incredibly expensive to keep a car and make the long commute an hour out 4 times a week, but its my priority. In London, I am assuming I'm in for either a huge commute out or keeping a horse in a more local and accessible yard, that is not an eventing facility.

Surely living IN the city and commuting out and living OUT of the city and commuting in are similar beasts?

I realize I might have to put my Serious Eventing dreams on hold while I'm living in the city, but I want to least find out where the nearest eventing facilities are located.

It was a good while ago (mid 80s), but my sister worked in Fleet Street, lived in a semidetached near Crystal Palace and rode/kept a horse within an hour's drive- I forget whether it was Kent or Surrey.

But it was show jumping, not eventing. The barn had some opportunities to ride "out", but no cross country .
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by solstince View Post
    Surely living IN the city and commuting out and living OUT of the city and commuting in are similar beasts?
    Not really, when a horse is involved. You will want to ride the horse either early am, and not make a return trip to the job, or late pm and not have to then make a long trip home to your bed. Living close to your yard is the best option and yards are generally outside London.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Another thing you will have to consider is that you can only drive on your US license for a year, after that, you will have to take the UK test (which can be a pain.). What I would do is get here first, give yourself some time to get an idea of what is possible and then start looking around. Currently, I pay more in petrol than I do in lesson/loan fees, and I'm only driving about 30 minutes. It's just much, much more expensive to drive around here. The main eventing places, mostly, are just out of my reach because of that and because I would need to ride either before or after work and thus can't really go farther out than I am now. (Which sucks because there's a super nice upper level rider near me who has horses I could ride...but I can't get out there consistently!) And don't feel like the first place you find you have to stay at! I've tried out three/four places since I've been here, and I'm happy where I am, but I still keep my eye out.

The other issue you may run into is that most eventers aren't also associated with a yard necessarily. They may have their own private yard and then travel out to teach (or not teach all that much at all), so it's more difficult to get plugged in. That said, the riding opportunities here are amazing, you just might need to take some time to search them out! (Also, do you know about UK-Y? It's a forum for American expats in the UK: http://talk.uk-yankee.com)