The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool I hope they don't have to spell in medical school

Another Craigslist Ad:

"I have a 6 year old paint mare with a baby coming in mid august she's great for trail ridding no kicking biting or bucking loads stands for ferrier rides with grazing bit she was bred by a registerd quarter horse she is up to date with all shots (including pregnancy shots & coggings). in good shape. about 16-17 hands tall. i honestly hate to see her go but iv reasently started medical school and have little time for her and no time for a colt. she's a great ridding horse. please call if intrested."

Now, I'm far from the world's best speller, but Medical School, really?

No kidding!

I wonder if she/he feels that by putting they are in Medical school it will somehow make them sound trustworthy? Absolutely shocking if this person truly is in any sort of medical school? I wonder how many diagnosis they would mis-spell?

Is 'riding' the newest word to flark up? Because I swear I've seen it spelled 'ridding' over and over everywhere.

I know a lot of folks aren't whizzes at spelling, but I'd think someone who's supposedly been accepted to medical school would know how to spell riding, farrier, coggins, recent, and have a semi-proper grasp on grammar and punctuation.

I suppose that's what I get for thinking, though.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

well, they could be in school for training as a nurse's aide. I guess you could call that medical school, Sort of. Maybe.

Maybe it's the fact that they can't spell that makes them write like they're doing it with their feet!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

It's amazing how medical school always sneaks up on you. I can't tell you how many times I've planned things out, bred a horse, and then BAM! that sneaky medical school pops up and ruins all my plans, forcing me to sell my beloved horse. Those sneaky medical schools!

Laughing like a loon! I JUST this morning found 2 spelling mistakes in communications sent home from my kids' school!! This happens all the time. I've told my husband one more and we're moving or the kids will never get into a decent college. LOL
    Again, glass houses and whatnot, but seriously??? These people are teaching kids! They're kind of obligated to get it right, IMO.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

Maybe the OP from the Craig's List ad is going to share a dorm room with this boob from Atlanta CL:

Is a smooth riding trail horse with a low head! Very gental, will do anything you ask of him. Has a great compasition.

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Scary...
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

May I be dead and buried before I ever run into that "doctor."
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    May I be dead and buried before I ever run into that "doctor."
    and that preson may have been the "doctor" that sent you to the grave

And THAT is what you get when all school kids kids are allowed to rely on spelcheek from birthe...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Maybe the OP from the Craig's List ad is going to share a dorm room with this boob from Atlanta CL:

Is a smooth riding trail horse with a low head! Very gental, will do anything you ask of him. Has a great compasition.

"compasition"? What is this I don't even...

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

The ones that tickle me are the ones selling religious horses. You know - "gentile mare for sale".

Funny how they're always gentile, never Jewish.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

My dad is a med school grad and can't spell well, tho he's better than the CL ad. But, his handwriting is so awful that you almost can't tell.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    My dad is a med school grad and can't spell well, tho he's better than the CL ad. But, his handwriting is so awful that you almost can't tell.
    That was my thought. I am friends with a surgeon and he can't spell or write worth a damn, but he's very good at cutting people open and fixing them. As long as the doctor can figure out what's wrong with me and (hopefully) fix it, I don't care if s/he can pass a spelling test.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    "compasition"? What is this I don't even...
    Methinks it's a schmear word: Conformation and Disposition merged together.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

So, he wants to sell his three horses, but will accept any offer?
    How much would you then offer?

---"Three arabian horses for sale 600.00 each, sold together or separate. please contact about arrangements, all offers accepted."---

This one can be guilded and it will be an even better buy:

---"Sorrel mare 3 1/2 years old. Wonderful with children, mostly rode by an 8 year old by himself for pleasure. 4 1/2 year old black quarter horse (stud) that does ride well if there are no mares in heat around and he is also wonderful with kids. He would make an excellent companion for someone if they would guild him! Asking $800 for both, the kids want a dune buggy instead of horses."---

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    It's amazing how medical school always sneaks up on you. I can't tell you how many times I've planned things out, bred a horse, and then BAM! that sneaky medical school pops up and ruins all my plans, forcing me to sell my beloved horse. Those sneaky medical schools!
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    That was my thought. I am friends with a surgeon and he can't spell or write worth a damn, but he's very good at cutting people open and fixing them. As long as the doctor can figure out what's wrong with me and (hopefully) fix it, I don't care if s/he can pass a spelling test.
    Handwriting is one thing - spelling is another. I care massively that a doctor can spell because it is an indication of basic intelligence, a decent education and an ability to learn. If they haven't even been able to spell then I am damn sure that they haven't been able to learn the details of my body, multiple potential illnesses and causes and subsequently cut me open! Sure, we all make some spelling mistakes but the number of spelling mistakes in that advert is certainly not reflective of someone that has any decent education.