The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default UPDATE: Bad movers in the hunter ring *** My Jumper is now a Hunter

My jumper really wants to be a hunter. He likes to go slow, he can walk the lines, he's got a 10 jump. Last weekend I played at a local show in the 3'3" hunters and he was a doll, won a class.

Now, Jumpers is really where my heart is, but hunters are pretty fun too. Cruising around that 3'3" course was just so dang easy for him (hunters are NOT easy, I just mean he likes hunters). I can picture him doing the AO's or 2nd year greens, boy he'd really jump the heck out of those. (Last year was his 1st year showing, he was doing 1.10m jumpers by the end of his first show).

He is good in the jumper ring though, almost always clean and 1 classic win to his name and placed in almost every classic. Oh and I qualified for local adult medal finals on him already (2 wins in his first eq show). But I think it'd be cool to have hunters on his "resume" too.

But he moves...pretty awful. Tons of knee action, much softer behind, not too much hock action. His trot is the killer, his canter isn't too bad. How much will movement really effect his placings OVER FENCES? Obviously he's going to be last in the hack unless all the other riders fall off. He's got great walk-canter transitions, so I don't ever plan on trotting in my O/F classes.

Disclaimer: I've got a trainer, a good one--well 2 good ones. They'll really decide whether I actually show him in the hunters at an A show. They won't let me embarrass myself.
    In case y'all wanted a picture https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._8327327_n.jpg
    Last edited by SkipChange; Jul. 24, 2011 at 08:10 PM.

Can't you just do only the hunter o/f classes?

Amastrike--yes. I guess to clarify, the question is--will the fact that he's a bad mover hurt his placings over fences?

I used to show an awful mover in the large Junior Hunters over fences, and skip the hack if I was trying to save a few dollars at any given show. He jumped beautifully though, so despite our mainly skipping the hack, we won a year end award ribbon in a highly competitive area (Zone 2). So I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Of course, this was 22 years ago... I don't know if it would still fly.

My gelding was a HORRIBLE mover but man could he jump. I would only hack if it was a relatively small class, no way would I subject myself to a hack with 40+. Sometimes by me not hacking would mean the difference between Champion and Reserve in a division, but I was okay with that. We also did amazing well in the eq ring. No reason you shouldn't be able to do all three rings if your boy enjoys it.

Loving the bad mover success stories, keep 'em coming!

I feel like this sort of versatility will look really good if I ever decide to sell him.

Also...Derbies? I totally want to do one.

If you plan on showing him in the a/os you have to trot in your courtesy circle. For rated divisions, whether its before you start your course or after the last jump you need to demonstrate soundness at the trot on course. Movement is factor in but most of the time its whoever puts in the best round that usually wins. I think at your bigger shows like devon and indoors movement and suitability come more into play since most people should be able to lay down a good trip.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

He is a really cute boy and looks like fun to jump. I would definitely try him in a derby. I agree with the last few posters that if he is that amazing at every jump and you lay down 8 great jumps you will be in the money.

If, however, you are in an exceptionally difficult division/zone and everyone lays down a perfect trip it will come down the the smaller details, quality of movement, even rhythm etc. I will have to second the Eq. ring as well, where you will see jumpers cross over more often there.

Looks like you are going to have fun no matter which ring you are in!

What level shows are you talking? How is his canter?

Smiles--do you really have to trot in the O/F classes? I don't see that in the rules. Isn't that why you have the jog afterwards, to show soundnesss?

redancepony--He is so much fun! We'll be doing the local state association medal finals at the end of the year, it's only 3ft though, and he really shines over the bigger stuff. I mostly show in A shows, but I do like to support the local associations too.

BLBGP--talking A shows, mostly smaller ones.

One of my best hunters moved like a sewing machine (at trot). But he was (is) beautiful, jumped a 10, had a great canter, and was a dead easy ride. I had judges ask me to buy him as I left the ring. We just did the best we could with his trot and he even pulled some ribbons in Florida in the hacks. Remember the hunters CAN be subjective, and if the judge likes them enough, somethings can be slightly overlooked. I mean he never WON a hack, but sometimes just pulled a low ribbon, enough to put him at the top of the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    If you plan on showing him in the a/os you have to trot in your courtesy circle. For rated divisions, whether its before you start your course or after the last jump you need to demonstrate soundness at the trot on course. Movement is factor in but most of the time its whoever puts in the best round that usually wins. I think at your bigger shows like devon and indoors movement and suitability come more into play since most people should be able to lay down a good trip.
    What? They jog the A/O's for ribbons, they have to, just like every other A rated division.

What horse shows tell you that you must trot on the courtesy circle? Show me the rule that states that.

HU132 Soundness.
    All horses must be serviceably sound. All horses being considered for an award must be jogged for soundness with rider dismounted. In classes restricted to junior riders, a junior must jog the animal for soundness. (Exception: Under Saddle classes, unrated classes and classes at Local Competitions.) Horses that are not serviceably sound are ineligible for an
    award, including under saddle classes

The trot on the courtesy circle is not going to doom this horse. Walking in and striking off at the canter works as well. The ones who are fabulous movers at the trot do trot on the courtesy circle to show that off. The hunters are hard, the great riders hide the not so perfect stuff of their rides, starting at the courtesy circle.

Walk into the ring, canter, jump, walk, and exit. Don't trot at all and you'll be fine.

Will a better mover who jumps just as well and finds good distances beat you? Sure. But the way things shake out I really wouldn't worry about it. There are four times the o/f classes as there are u/s. I'd rather have a good jumper than a good mover -- assuming I can't afford both, which I can't!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    I don't believe that this is true. You trot in the jog and THAT is where you show soundness. And you still don't have to be a good mover -- you just have to be a sound bad mover.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Most horses have one thing keeping them from being the perfect hunter. I would imagine in the best company, if you have 6 horses that go in and float a trot circle, to 8 perfect jumps with a stunning canter, you'll get beaten. How often does that happen? Probably depends on where you show. But i doubt you'd be an embarassment to your barn just because you did the hunters on a horse that moves like crap.

But what a nice fun horse to own!

We had a horse at Benchmark for a while who is a godawful mover - all the knee action in the world. He was sold a few months ago and showed down at WEF with Scott Stewart, got a tricolor in the conformation hunters (and did the derby, but had a heartbreaking rail at the last fence). His jump made up for his movement.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5qO_Dsw8nE

Can someone give a video link to a GOOD hunter mover -- including the trot -- please. I breed WBs for dressage and I've been told today's hunter has a bit of suspension and more dressage-y gaits, but I'm not getting that from this thread. Please educate me.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut) and EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ2fLUuIPIk This is a pony, but one of the best movers I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg Rumba is a lovely mover (you see his trot towards the end of the round when he's heading out of the ring).

Like the others said, if he has the hunter look, can walk the lines and has a good jump, not to worry if he moves like an eggbeater/carthorse. Aluminum shoes will level some of that out. Just don't hack him unless you need the points and the class is small.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Walk into the ring, canter, jump, walk, and exit. Don't trot at all and you'll be fine.
    I agree with this.