The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help-my dog keeps escaping his run

My dog started pulling the chainlink on the gate to his run and has escaped-and cut his mouth and eyebrow. I have reinforced the chainlink but he has redoubled his efforts. What are my options? Electric? Does it matter what kind?

Exercise and stimulation for the dog?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Keep him in the house, and walk him for 40 min or so twice a day. Play with him daily, and do 20 min or so of training daily to tire him out mentally.

electrify the run.

Fido shock was a brand back in the day, but a small fence charger should work.

Remember: less wire, bigger charge! Important when you make contact with the wire...(ask me how I know! )

and when you put the wire up, make sure he can't dig under or climb over!
    Yes, those will be the next attempts!

have his teeth checked: My mom had a dog that could escape practically anything, her teeth were a mess!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Keep him in the house, and walk him for 40 min or so twice a day. Play with him daily, and do 20 min or so of training daily to tire him out mentally.
    He gets more exercise and attention than this per day.

He is only in the run when I am away from the house. He ripped up an armchair and broke a window to get out when I left him alone inside one time while I went to run errands. When he gets out he doesn't really go anywhere (though one time he did go out in the street) so I don't really understand the motivation.

I had the vet check his teeth when he chewed the chair-he flattened the tops of his canines. I checked them again today but I know I have to do something before he really hurts himself.

Google "Crate games" and teach him to be crated.

Sounds like separation anxiety. Even if you manage to keep him confined, he will still hurt himself trying to get out. There are things you can do to lessen his anxiety. Google separation anxiety and/or find a trainer that deals with these issues.