The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default JRT pup's ear doing the floppy - HELP?

So I put Birdie in the crate in NJ w/2 normal lovely ears, and she came out of the crate in Maine w/one bent one-its been almost 2 wks. now.

How worried should I be that this may stick? My other JRT at least has a matched set of goofy ears. Previous JRT went through floppy ears but came out w/lovely prick ears on the other side. Birdie has folded ears. Is there anything I could/should do? I'm familiar w/collie,Dobe,GSD puppy ear issues and would rather not use the gum stuff but I really would prefer a normal ear set.

Any ideas?

Jack Russells are not supposed to have pricked ears.

Check out my profile pic for perfect JRT ears.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    Jack Russells are not supposed to have pricked ears.

Check out my profile pic for perfect JRT ears.
    Yes, My pup has "normal" ears, except for the funky puppy fold. My first JRT had erect ears, though as she was an "Irish Jack", her ancestry could be questioned. She was perfect to me.

Your dogs are lovely! Did you ever have any w/ears that stayed funky?

Nope, I have been lucky. Always nice ears. My one little guy's ears turn inside out when he's zooming around the farm but once he stops and shakes his head, they return to their normal position.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

How old is your puppy? It's normal for JR ears to go wild as they get their molars in. Are the ears folded so they look like Italian Greyhounds? What do the parents ears look like? If the ears do not turn out perfectly, please contact the breeder so that she knows she's got a bad ear gene in her breeding stock.

Can you link to a picture so I can get a better idea?
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Here's Dad dbfrussellterriers.com He is Coach. Mom's photo has disappeared from website (not breeder's bitch), but she had normal ears. Apologies for not yet being able to upload my own photos.... Yes, Birdie's one ear is IG-like, and she is 11 wks. The other ear occasionally does its own thing, but for the most part returns to normal.

I've seen lots of pups go thru the wild stage, and it just got me thinking, why do some ears stay crooked? And now you gave me the answer...bad ear gene--thanks! Makes sense!

So I guess I shouldn't sweat it? I'd adore her with any ear set, but she's just so purdy that I'm hoping the ear stops f***ing around and gets in line.

I'm betting your pup's ears will be fine, although you can massage/rub/pet the ear at the proper break point. Don't waste time with the ear glue. The other ear may yet do 'the wild thing'. They often misbehave at different times.

***Warning*** Here comes the rant. It is not leveled at you, or your puppy who I believe are innocents.

I don't think your breeder has much idea what Coach throws since this (I hope) is his first litter, since he just turned a year old in May, when your pup was already on the ground. I can see where getting a $1,000 per pup would be incentive to breed early and often. Also, you can bet those 'breeder's contract co-owns' will be bred as fast as they can. This is what happens when a breed is accepted into the AKC (The Russell Terrier is the new short legged version breed) and the FSS (Foundation Stock Service) is trying to get as many dogs as possible into the stud book from which all pups downline must be from. Once the stud book closes anyone who has a shortlegged jack is SOL. They won't be able to register their puppies.

Maybe that the FSS and the AKC permits breeding males of any age. The JRTCA does not. For a reason. The JRTCA doesn't even allow a dog to be registered with breeding rights until they are at least a year old and have passed a vet exam. By a vet OTHER than a vet who may have bred them.

I just hope all the puppy buyers know that at $1,000 per pup, they are paying off the doctor's practice or student loans. Because the going price for a shorty jack w/o the 'blessing' of the FSS/AKC is about $250-400.

ETA: I've now read Dr Lundin's philosophy of breeding Jack Russells without the attitude, desire or ability to hunt. She should stick to breeding TB racehorses. Because what she's trying to do with jacks is akin to breeding for TB's who are slow, poor moving, and dumb. Three things that are the HALLMARK of the TB! She won't make any money breeding poor quality TBs but she stands to make a mint on breeding wannabe jacks.

End of rant. Again, I reiterate that I am not slamming you or your puppy. But I did notice that the standard for the ears the dogs Dr Lundin breeds says drop, prick and rose are all acceptable. So however your puppy's ears turn out she'll be suitable for breeding, at least for Dr Lundin's purposes.
    Last edited by Kryswyn; Jun. 7, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    I'm betting your pup's ears will be fine, although you can massage/rub/pet the ear at the proper break point. Don't waste time with the ear glue. The other ear may yet do 'the wild thing'. They often misbehave at different times.

***Warning*** Here comes the rant. It is not leveled at you, or your puppy who I believe are innocents.

I don't think your breeder has much idea what Coach throws since this (I hope) is his first litter, since he just turned a year old in May, when your pup was already on the ground. I can see where getting a $1,000 per pup would be incentive to breed early and often. Also, you can bet those 'breeder's contract co-owns' will be bred as fast as they can. This is what happens when a breed is accepted into the AKC (The Russell Terrier is the new short legged version breed) and the FSS (Foundation Stock Service) is trying to get as many dogs as possible into the stud book from which all pups downline must be from. Once the stud book closes anyone who has a shortlegged jack is SOL. They won't be able to register their puppies.

Maybe that the FSS and the AKC permits breeding males of any age. The JRTCA does not. For a reason. The JRTCA doesn't even allow a dog to be registered with breeding rights until they are at least a year old and have passed a vet exam. By a vet OTHER than a vet who may have bred them.

I just hope all the puppy buyers know that at $1,000 per pup, they are paying off the doctor's practice or student loans. Because the going price for a shorty jack w/o the 'blessing' of the FSS/AKC is about $250-400.

ETA: I've now read Dr Lundin's philosophy of breeding Jack Russells without the attitude, desire or ability to hunt. She should stick to breeding TB racehorses. Because what she's trying to do with jacks is akin to breeding for TB's who are slow, poor moving, and dumb. Three things that are the HALLMARK of the TB! She won't make any money breeding poor quality TBs but she stands to make a mint on breeding wannabe jacks.

End of rant. Again, I reiterate that I am not slamming you or your puppy. But I did notice that the standard for the ears the dogs Dr Lundin breeds says drop, prick and rose are all acceptable. So however your puppy's ears turn out she'll be suitable for breeding, at least for Dr Lundin's purposes.
    Rant noted and completely understood. I totally get it, and I freely admit that I wanted a pup w/low prey drive. My first Jack(?) was my heart dog, and tho she loved and wanted to chase critters, she did not "fulfill her destiny" because I didn't want her to-I wanted another Weezer, and hope I've got a good one

That said, being a lifetime Lab owner/lover, I see the same thing in Labs and Goldens. Most couldn't hunt their way out of a paper bag, and looks-wise, couldn't honestly be called field or show bred....seeing so many skanky Labs, I try to be tactful and call em "hunting-bred". Having had both extremely well-bred Labs of both field trial and show lines, it is disappointing to see so many so-called Labs--"He's AKC!"--like that means something--and, honestly,with dogs of many breeds, looking/acting nothing like what they should.

I guess I am selfish--The JRTs I grew up with in the horse world were always getting into some kind of trouble, and when I started training dogs here in uber-suburbia, the JRTs I encountered were.....TOUGH... - of course, they couldn't possibly be in more inappropriate living conditions-walk on lead and maybe a backyard to run in. Horrible for all dogs, really, but stifling for terriers!

Then I met a couple of Jacks who were adorable and much more amenable....I got Weezer the dream dog, and converted my vet...she now has a broken-coat. SHe fell in love with my girl and the 3-4 others who came from the same breeder, constantly remarking that they were unlike any Jacks she'd ever known.

Is there room for both types, as there are in Labs?

That Q asked, I totally get what you are saying.

Thanks for understanding

As to your question, in my world your type of dog is what happens when we don't breed our (JRTCA) dogs correctly. I'm not referring to the temperament; that should always be the first priority in my book when considering a stud or bitch for breeding, because my Jacks will work occasionally, but be a companion full time. But you ask yourself 'Why was this breed developed?' the answer is NOT to be a funny lap dog, but to bolt foxes, and between foxhunts kill varmints and protect the farm/stables/kennel food supply from rodents.

My point would be that a 10" 16 lb dog is NOT going to be as efficient getting in tight spaces to do either, or stand up to a fox/badger/ground hog in a den. I use that size/weight as an example taken from Dr Lundin's website. It's also extremely hard to breed for a spanable chest and straight legs (all the clubs are against dwarfish attributes) within that height range (10-12").

In my world, there are plenty already born, already proven temperamented Jacks of all sizes looking for homes who are ready to bond with their forever guardian who will not get that home because people are breeding non-jack Jacks and (again now that they're getting AKC recognition) getting big bucks for them.

Nothing ruins a breed of dogs faster than AKC registration. Doesn't matter whether you're talking Border Collies, Labs, or Jacks. The working/hunting dog owners will never admit that the show types are equal or even as good because the essence of the breed has been bred out.

I also have a real REAL problem with breeder's rights. Breeding is not for the faint of heart and usually in exchange for the reduced purchase price you are signing on to pay stud fee, shipping (or transport), vet costs (brucellosis, CERF, BAER and OFA testing/certification) which includes possible c-section expenses. Sometimes, rarely I admit, you lose your beloved bitch and why? So you can save $$ upfront? So you can help someone else make money?? To make it easier for the breeder to make his/her name by producing vast amounts of puppies carrying their kennel prefix? Then your dog HAS the litter (or two) and you get sometimes nothing for your bitch's efforts, sometimes you get the pups the breeder doesn't want (because they're not good examples of the breed). Sometimes you don't even get to choose WHEN you're going to breed your bitch. Sending her off for breeding for a week is okay, but when you have to ship her back to the breeder's for whelping and puppy rearing (and if the breeder doesn't want to keep the bitch for at least 8 weeks, then SHAME ON THEM) you're without the furry love of your life.

With the Russell Terrier, (and please, do everyone a favor since they've become a recognized breed call your dog that, not a JRT) there are few shows for them (and no performance events because that's being bred out of them) to prove their genetic worthiness to breed. So all most of these breeders are doing is using temperament as the only qualification necessary to breed. Sure, nobody wants big chested, Queen Anne's legs and a really pointed snout w/ bad bites, BUT THAT'S WHAT'S BEHIND THESE DOGS and for every litter that produces a correct puppy 6 more litters will be born with more than one of these characteristics as well as prey drive. Because you don't breed out prey drive in in one, two or three generations. The best breeders encourage puppy owners to spay and neuter their puppies. I used to give $50 BACK when owners produced proof of spay/neuter. Other breeders are PREVENTING owners from spaying or neutering. My friend has a beautiful JRTCA male purchased with a contract to keep the dog intact for a certain length of time. Normally, she'd have neutered him before he was 6 months. She has no interest in breeding, doesn't want a puppy back, and has all the joy of this now 1+ yo dog marking his territory indoors which wouldn't have happened if he'd been neutered.

Finally, why would you keep a terrier of any sort around a barn if you didn't want it to help keep down the rodent population. All the mildly tempered Russell terriers are going to be marketed to people who couldn't possible handle a real JRT. Just because you try to breed out the prey drive, you still have a high energy TERRIER.

Thank you for letting me vent. I'd love to see pics of your girl when you can post some. Puppies are always cute and I love to see puppy pix no matter what breed they are!

I'd tape the other down so you have a matched set. We taped our male Sheltie's ears (actually, they came with tape from the breeder) so that they remained folded for the breed standard (the "tulip" ear), and they're perfect today. Here is Austin (the first pic), who is show quality (breeder thought about showing him - her first male she's kept, but then decided against it) but we opted to fix and keep as our beloved pet instead. We used some sort of tape made in Japan - double-sided and it worked beautifully. We did tape our female Sheltie's ears, but she kept scratching one of them free, so she looks like the second pic now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Austin_in_snow_12-26-10.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	33011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00070-20101106-1134.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	33012  
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."