The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping bred mare home - how long should I wait?

Well, my maiden mare is at the repro clinic being bred and I'm waiting on the preg check. How long should I leave her there before bringing her home? She's only about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away; so, it's not like she's days away or anything. I'm just thinking about whether I should wait until she's 30 plus days, or if it would be ok to bring her home earlier. I'm thinking about the implanting the fetus, which doesn't occur until about day 45, and that's why I'm thinking "why not leave her there longer?"

I have her at the clinic just because I'm a suspenders-and-belt-type of person, and I thought I'd optimize the breeding process by having her at the vet's since I'm using frozen. There's nothing to indicate that she has repro problems.

Any thoughts? ...anyone? ...anyone?

Lots of variables here.
    How much has the mare travelled? Is she a seasoned laid back hauler or does she only haul once a year or whatever?
    For a haul that short, if she is a seasoned laid back hauler who takes it all in stride, I would probably bring her home at 30 days as long as the route you are taking is an easy one (little traffic, not too bumpy, construction, etc) and i would haul her first thing in the morning or late in the evening if it is hot where you are.
    If she is one who has not hauled much or gets nervous hauling I might let her sit and percolate another month or so before bringing her home.
    When I bred my mare, she was a seasoned foxhunter and show horse who had hauled 3x a week for years and took it all in stride. I still left her up there for 90 days, since I took her to Vermont (Denny Emerson) and was bringing her back to FL.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

She doesn't travel often, but she travels well and has no loading or unloading issues.

Unfortunately, there is major road construction between home and the clinic; and really no way to avoid it. Early on a weekend might be the way to go, for sure!

well, if it were me, i'd certainly wait until the vet's arm was clear and out of her. other than that i'd see no other delay for getting her on the trailer home though, unless she was sedated for insem, in which case maybe a few more minutes.

i tend not to wait at clinics for preg checks... less expensive to have them done on the farm.

if you feel there may be risk of extra fluid or inflammation post-insem which might need lavaging, then that'd be maybe a couple extra days, but again, i'd have that done on the farm instead.

We bring our mares home as soon as ovulation is complete then take them back for the 30 day check. Our mares haul well and we prefer them to be in normal, routine surroundings away from strange horses coming in and out. Knock on wood we haven't had any problems even with maiden mares by bringing them home asap.

I wait until the vet has checked for ovulation and any possibility of the need for oxytocin. Then they are out of there... The preg check is done at home.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

We bring them home as soon as they have been checked for ovulation, fluid, etc and had any needed treatments.

I also do embryo transfers with one of my mares. The recipients that I use remain with the vets until they have checked in foal at 21 days. Then they come home and any additional pregnancy checks are done there.

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    well, if it were me, i'd certainly wait until the vet's arm was clear and out of her. other than that i'd see no other delay for getting her on the trailer home though, unless she was sedated for insem, in which case maybe a few more minutes.

That one made me giggle.

Last year my mare was bred AI on Wednesday, 6/23. She then competed at Groton House (she's an eventer) Friday-Sunday, 6/25 to 6/27, trailering back & forth an 1 hour and 15 minutes each way for 3 days in a row.

Then left on Tuesday 6/29 for a 2 1/2 hour trip to Vermont where we stayed for the week & schooled at Tamarack Farm.

Then she made the 2 1/2 hour trip one-way to compete at Huntington Farm on July 10th, up & back same day.

So...all kinds of stuff before 30 days, let alone 45. No problems. Lovely filly delivered May 20th is the light of my life at the moment.

well, if it were me, i'd certainly wait until the vet's arm was clear and out of her.
    Ha ha, good one.

I generally leave mine at the clinic post foaling/post breeding until the first preg check - about 14 days, give or take. Then bring them home. It is too much of a loop to go get them, bring them down, bring them back, then go back home and unhook and I've only just recently gotten a vet where the girls live that I might trust for a preg check, but NOT the 1st one.

I took one mare to be bred, took her after ovulation for about a 1 1/2 hour ride to an intensive 3 day dressage clinic, then back to the repro clinic to stay for her 1st preg check. The repro clinic was between my house and the dressage clinic.

TB's get shipped all over the country with a young foal at foot and back right after they are bred. Don't see why you'd wait 30 or 90 days to move them.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Ditto Clint and Home Again.
    We do preg check at home, and ship back if needed.
    I like to have my mares and foals where I can get my mitts, and eyes, on them - and where they have safe roomy grassy pasture.

I also bring them home from the vet clinic right after ovulation and then have the preg check done at home.

Most of our clients pick their mares up within a day or so of ovulation. A few leave them until 14 days, but rarely longer than that.
    Just as a side note, the conceptus is implanted long before 45 days. It actually becomes fixed in one spot by about day 16, althought true placentation as we think of it isn't complete until about 5 months of gestation.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

i bred my maiden mare this year as well. after her 15 day check we brought her home. our vet gave her a shot of progesterone for the haul home, which is about 1 hr 15 min. had her 30 day check at our farm and all is well.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    well, if it were me, i'd certainly wait until the vet's arm was clear and out of her.
    LOL!!! Love this I like to have mine at home, they are more comfortable and used to the routine. If there is a fluid issue, that of course needs to be taken care of first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    :
    TB's get shipped all over the country with a young foal at foot and back right after they are bred. Don't see why you'd wait 30 or 90 days to move them.
    in my situation, two reasons I waited were because a) I had saved up a long time to breed the mare, and b) it's a long drive from Vermont to FL and back and I didn't want to have to do it again since I was taking her back and forth myself LOL. Plus I think my mare enjoyed spending most of the summer in Vermont too
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin