The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on swelling from hock to fetlock only on outside of leg....

My friend texted me in a panic this morning about one of her geldings. He has swelling along his left rear cannon bone from the hock to his fetlock, only on the outside. The BO/trainer left early Sunday morning for the world show in Oklahoma. I drove out to see the horse and it is slightly tender with puffy pitting edema. He is slightly off but otherwise isn't overly uncomfortable. I know what I would do if he were mine (sweat the leg or poultice, bute, and if no improvement tomorrow, call the vet). The horse is on 24/7 turnout and she lives an hour away. With the BO gone she didn't feel comfortable putting a wrap on while he was turned out (which I agreed with). She did cold hose the leg before I got there and said she did see some improvement. I live just a bit further away than she does, but I did tell her I would meet her back at the farm in the am. She is going to make arrangements for the horse to stay up in a stall tomorrow so I can wrap the leg for her. Any thoughts on what it might be?

My first thought is swelling from a small nick or cut on the outside of the leg.

Sometimes it's so small, it's hard to find, but can cause the inflammatory response you're describing.

If I didn't feel anything, I might clip the leg to see better, any nicks for puncture wounds, etc.

Could be many things....spider bite, puncture wound, scratches, tick bite, reaction to new fly spray, soft tissue injury...etc. Cold hose, bute, and wrap. If no improvement in 1 day, i would call the vet.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

"The world is best viewed through the ears of a horse."

I would check for cuts or punctures.
    I would clip area/clean and search for one. Definitely bute.

I wouldnt let it go for too long without calling the vet. I let mine go 2 days (same symptoms) and it turns out it was a TINY (vet couldnt find it by looking/touching) puncture that was infected. By that point, horsey needed surgery. (So yep..now im paranoid!)

if in doubt always call an equine vet out to many things it could from a nick to a kick and broken bone etc

Any time there is swelling on just one side of a leg, I am concerned. I would have the horse seen if the swelling does not resolve within a couple of days.

Thanks for the replies. I was not able to make it back out to wrap the horse so I talked my friend into calling the vet. Turns out it was a very small puncture wound.