The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Optimum time classes?

I'm looking at a prize list for a schooling show this coming weekend, and trying to decide what classes to enter. I'm an eventer, on a jumper-turned-eventer. However, he goes best when ridden more like a hunter and isn't being pushed to go go go all the time - he can get a little too hot that way.

Can someone tell me (excuse the ignorance!) how the time/speed for optimum time classes for jumpers are calculated? I know they probably aren't as slow of a pace as hunters, but if there's a 'standard' mpm pace or something similar it would be really helpful to know. All I'm really looking for is a flowing course that we can establish an easy, consistent rhythm over in a show setting, ribbons are irrelevant.

I'm debating between that and just doing a couple hunter rounds. He's not really the hunter type, but we're just going for the experience - and in my head it seems like the hunter courses are more encouraging of a quiet round.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I too have once dabbled in the "speed bump jumpers" but I'm from Hunter land....

I found after riding in my first speed bump jumper class that it "wasn't" about "speed" - it was about "turns". I made it clear to the jump off and was in first - then some kid came in with some amazing turns and beat me. His horse looked like a slug going around. (he did hit a rail hard but it didn't go down - bummer ) Sooooo you can still do the other classes if you work on nice Eq turns....

I can't help on the optimum time; never entered it.

And if you want to keep him relaxed you are right a Hunter round should have more flowing lines and allowing the horse to finish his jump.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I always loved optimum time jumpers back when I started showing my horse.. The lower level jumper classes are always full of crazies that race around as fast as possible and my horse is a big warmblood slug. Until I moved up into the junior jumper ring, and occasionally in the high childrens, I always got my butt kicked because people had faster and hotter horses.. I did an optimum time class at like 1.05m and I won, I was under the optimum time by like .1 second...

I just kept a nice pace and cantered around the course. I don't know how they calculate the time, but it was definitely meant to keep the speed demons slow.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

They'll tell you the optimum time, and the pace seems to be a medium canter. The jump off is definitely about turns and control, not mindless galloping. The ponies always seem to beat my horse and I -- quick little buggers!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    They'll tell you the optimum time, and the pace seems to be a medium canter. The jump off is definitely about turns and control, not mindless galloping. The ponies always seem to beat my horse and I -- quick little buggers!
    The turns and how you use the ring overall, no need to make big sweeping use of the ends of the ring etc. My trainer wants us always to ride jumper classes like they were an equitation class and use a smarter handier track than the competition. Lots of people who speed recklessly use up a lot of unnecessary ground trying to make their turns.

Yup-- I ride the OT jumpers like an eq class (mind you, I do the 2'9" jumpers). Think, think, think. Plan your jump off, ride your plan. Granted, the smaller, handier horse will almost always beat the bigger, lopier horse, though.

I assumed they'd post it somewhere, I was just hoping maybe it was like eventing where typically even for stadium there is a mpm calculation in addition to the actual time given. Darn!

Yeah, but you eventers don't do a jump off, so it takes all the fun out of it.

Think Novice, add a jump off, for a 2'6" jumper class.

Optimum time is defined as something like 4 seconds less than time allowed. Time allowed is calculated based on speed (mpm) and distance. It varies depending on the course height and the ring size, but there's a whole table mpm calculations in the jumper section of the USEF rule book. If you download the jumper section and search for 'optimum time' and or 'mpm' and or 'time allowed' you should find all the info you are looking for.

Yeah, but you eventers don't do a jump off, so it takes all the fun out of it.

Think Novice, add a jump off, for a 2'6" jumper class.
    Hahaha that would be the day. I don't think I have the brain capacity to remember ANOTHER set of rules for adding a jump off to stadium!

It's been about seven years since I rode in a jump off (or a jumper class, for that matter).

They will post the optimum time. I have found that if you watch a couple of horses go and then hear their times you will get an idea of how the course rides and the tracks that are working/not working. Watch the horse and compare that horse's stride to your horse and you will get a good idea of how the optimum time rides.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyclubrocks View Post
    The turns and how you use the ring overall, no need to make big sweeping use of the ends of the ring etc. My trainer wants us always to ride jumper classes like they were an equitation class and use a smarter handier track than the competition. Lots of people who speed recklessly use up a lot of unnecessary ground trying to make their turns.
    Yeah and you hope in their recklessness they knock a pole or two...
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!