The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Cheap online places for flea and tick stuff

I just went to 1800PetMeds, and unless prices have gone up 25 or 30% in the past month, their prices are outrageous. My vets are cheaper, and shipping isn't an issue.

Surely there has to be some place out there with reasonable prices on Comfortis, Frontline Plus, and Preventic collars. Also looking for good prices on the ivermectin based heartworm medications--or other kinds if they are cheaper.

Overall, who do y'all think is the cheapest place for pet stuff when you factor in shipping?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Petco/smart have started carrying some of the good one spot treatments. maybe you can check those out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Check out Amazon and Costco. Both carry Frontline Plus for way cheap.

Ebay! That is where I get my Frontline Plus for cats.

fleastuff.com
    Used to buy everything from them, but then switch from FL & HG to just Revolution so we now get it from Smartpak (still good price!

They make a generic of Frontline...it's sold in Walmart and Southern States. It was about $36 for a box of three for a BIG dog.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Both Foster and Smith and KV Vet Supply are good places. Foster and Smith was offering free shipping on heartworm prevention. I use Iverhart plus which is essentially a generic of Heartgard. Topically, if you can find it, Frontline Spray is one of the most cost effective options.

I've started using the generic Frontline from Sams. It's about $25+ for a 3 pack no matter what the size.

What do you guys do about getting a prescription for heartworm meds? My vet stopped giving prescriptions, he now only carries the Heartguard. I liked the generic stuff which was about half the cost. Do any of you use the injectable ivermectin for cows as an oral heartworm med? How accurate do you have to be about the weight of the dog? I've been tempted to start using that since I have so many dogs.

We use the liquid ivomec in the hunt kennels and I use it for my personal rescue dogs (I have 20 canines at my house right now, including a momma with 4 puppies). I used to use Revolution but with this many it is too expensive.
    The ivomec is working fine and I use one of the other topicals for flea and tick prevention.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I get my flea stuff on Ebay. Lowest prices I've ever found.

For HW preventative, I just go through my vet. I use Tri-Heart and it's like.. $35 for 6 months for my medium sized (55lbs.) dogs. He just requires a HW test once a year, which is fine by me!
    -Kady

I wanted Program (which works great, BTW) and Advantage. www.discountpetsupplyusa.com had the best prices plus free shipping. I'd order from them again.

Equine Mega Store.

Entirelypets.com. If you sign up for their email list you will get coupon codes all the time. It's the cheapest place I've found. I also buy my ulcerguard there.
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed" UK

You know what, try Amazon. I've found the least expensive frontline plus there during the past year. A few online pet places have storefronts there, and it is VERY competitive so their prices are low. Also the shipping, due to Amazon's vendor rules, is really cheap - no more than $5 I think.

Regarding generic heartworm and wormers, I go to Pets Megastore, which is an Australian company, and order their generics. They are an excellent company and their medications work fine - very high quality. I buy their "Valuheart" wormers. http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/valuheartfordogs2140kgs4488lbs12pack-p-856.html.

You can sign up for their newsletter and once a month they offer free shipping. Even the regular postage from Australia is not expensive at all - it's never even $10.00.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Try jeffersonline.com (Jeffers out of Dothan, AL). Just be careful, I've read that there's a ton of counterfeit and expired Frontline out there, and I think someone posted the article on here a while ago. I switched from Frontline to Advantix (not Advantage) and it was a little cheaper, plus it seemed to give better coverage since you treated 3 or 4 spots from neck to tail bone.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1800petmeds is usually the most expensive source of anything. Lots of petstores carry tick/flea stuff these days for reasonable prices. You can order heartworm stuff from non-US companies. I have no idea why the US demands a prescription for dog heartworm pills.