The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else have a cat who plays fetch? (w/ video)

Ok, so I just had to share this video of my cat.

Beamer, aka The B, loves to play fetch. In fact, he will quite literally beg to have his jingly ball thrown about for hours on end. He is a very curious little B and the begging is a trick he learned all on his own.

The B believes he must inspect all things. One day in his zeal to inspect a piece of mail I was opening he sat up on his hind legs and reached for it. Of course, my natural reaction was to bend down and show him this very uninteresting piece of junk mail he so obviously needed to see.

The B quickly decided he had just discovered the end all be all solution to all of his little kitty desires. Someone goes into the bathroom and is rude enough to shut the door? Stand outside and beg. If Dinah is sleeping on the kitty tower and won't come down to play he will look up at her, meow, and beg. He seems throughly confused when her only reaction to is to look down at him in disdain. I'm fairly certain she is thinks he is 'special'. And of course, he applied this new trick to his favorite game of playing fetch. I must admit it is somewhat annoying to throw the ball for the cat every few minutes during a movie, but come on, who could resist this?

Anyone else have a kitty who begs or loves to play fetch?

I had one once. She has passed away now, sadly. The ONLY toy she would play "fetch" with, though, was the little twisty parts you pull off plastic milk jugs. They were her "goldfish", and I would leave a 1/4" of water in the sink or bathtub so she could "go fishing" and pull them out.

The downside of this was that she tended to want to "fish" late at night, and you really haven't lived until your cat has pounced upon your sleeping face with a dripping wet "goldfish" at 3 a.m.

I miss that cat, though, she rocked.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have one, but she'll only play with a wadded up piece of paper! At least she's cheap

I used to. Crazy cat would fetch for hours if I kept throwing the toy. She'd also jump on the bed early in the morning and bat the toy around until I'd throw it. Kind of annoying at 5 a.m.

Good Lord that's cute!!!!!

Some cats actually have a "fetching" gene. Google it, because I forgot that particulars.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I have one.
    He has two birdies that he loves. His fetch sessions are long enough that the next day my side is sore from throwing.

Though as of this weekend his new fetish is a paper wrapped tampon. Great. He played with it the entire time my BF was over. I had to throw it for him for a good 30 minutes before he decided to play alone.

this video is GREAT. He totally rams his head into the wall--and then the next time he looks at the bridie like it's the devil. By the end of the video he was back to romping the bridie back to me. You have to use volume and turn it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBUY0uJGdY
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Your fetch begging cat is a riot! Mine loves to chase & retrieve rubber bands - the big ones. We have lots of the huge ones that wrap around big files, so you can really snap them far. Problem is he will eventually chew them and sometimes they become snacks. He also is obsessed with plastic bags.

But your cat's begging - precious.

Seems like The B has plenty of fetch playing brethren out in the kitty world. I guess his begging is more unusual than the fetching! Maybe I should change the title of the thread and see if there are any other begging kitties.

Purpl - love the video of your kitty. He looks like a little lion with that fancy do.

CvPeg - My kitty is also obsessed with plastic bags! Although recently this has given way somewhat to an obsession with Q-tips. I swear he has a sixth sense to detect those things. If there is a single Q-tip in the bathroom trash he can dig through and find it in seconds. No Q-tips and he won't even give the trash a sniff.

I couldn't find any info on a 'fetching gene', but I did find this info on teaching your kitty to fetch for anyone who wants their kitty to join the ranks.

http://www.cat-health-detective.com/felinefetching.html