The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Converting Slant Load to Straight Load

This may be a crazy idea but has anyone done this? I am considering upgrading to a living quarters and there happens to be a good deal on a 3H slant locally. I would really prefer a hard to find straight load living quarters and came up with the hair-brained idea of converting the slant to straight.

It seems like I have seen this done before, but has anyone here done it? How did it work out for you? I need to measure the short wall to be sure I have enough length, but let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

It's possible, but also quite possibly more trouble than it's worth, to be quite honest.

Do you already have a great metal fabrication place? That's what you'll need...someone who is willing to put some time into a custom project, and understands that 1000lb struggling animals need some heavy duty welds.

It also depends, I suppose, on how you want it converted to a 2-horse. If you want the whole swinging divider/butt bars/chest bars/etc setup, I suggest just buying a new trailer, again, because that's going to get expensive fast. If, however, you just want a swinging door (to make two box stalls, even if slightly smaller than usual) then that seems like a more realistic (cheaper) project.

Just know that any savings on the trailer right now is going to vanish when you start looking at fabrication costs. Metal is only getting more expensive, and the (awesome, amazingly skilled and so worth it!) guys at my local shop charge $100 an hour for labor.

How is this 3 horse slant set up in the back? Step up, ramp over doors, collapsible tack or permanent tack? Removable post or permanent post at the back?
    Where are the braces underneath & overhead for putting holes for the pins into for the dividers into, tie rings in the ceiling, chest bar bracing,...

If it was me, I would keep looking, beyond local and find a living quarter straight load. There are plenty of trailers out there, be patient.
    Get a trailer that was built originally as a straight load living quarter trailer.
    You are going to put a lot of money into a trailer that was not built to be a straight load to make it work. If it is aluminum, you have to be careful with working with it. It may not work or Be safe & worthy!

Unless you have the facilities to DIY a quality, properly designed and engineered and constructed project it's likely going to cost way more than it's worth.

I understand the preferences on straight vs. slant load, but IMO they are mostly similar to what's found in the "Coke vs. Pepsi" debate.

Sometime you have to use the "C" word ("compromise"). If the trailer has everything you need but it's a slant load maybe it's worth the taking. The mirror image works, too.

I'd keep looking. The world is awash in horse trailers for sale.

Good luck in your search.

G.

Piece of cake. I have a roomy 2-horse slant that converted easily to a roomy 2-horse straight-load.

Since mine was a stock style with no dividers, it was ridiculously easy. If you have partitions, you have to have the receivers for them on both ends cut off and the walls smoothed for safey. Then it's just a matter of building and bolting in a front partition/chest bar and adding a partition, if desired, to separate your horses in the straight-load configuration.

If you want butt bars/chains, they are easily purchased from any place that sells trailer accessories and can be bolted in within minutes.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I'd think it would be very easy. Just take out the slant partitions and install straight divider. If you have a good welding/metal shop or trailer shop, they can probably do it for you, I wouldn't think it'd be terribly difficult. It's just dividers for a space...

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I'd think it would be very easy. Just take out the slant partitions and install straight divider. If you have a good welding/metal shop or trailer shop, they can probably do it for you, I wouldn't think it'd be terribly difficult. It's just dividers for a space...
    It's not that it's hard, it's that it's going to be pretty expensive for quality work. Negating any savings that the OP thinks she's getting on the trailer. When there are a bevy of trailers already formatted for straight load stalls out there, at great prices. Just maybe not so close.

A friend of mine had her two horse slant load stock type trailer retrofitted into a straight load by the dealer she bought it from. As others said, the conversion involved cutting, bolting and some welding, but it worked out just fine. I believe her total cost was around $400.

With all kinds of trailers already out there for sale, why not just get what you want, rather than trying to make changes to a perfectly good trailer as it is?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

When I had my 2H LQ trailer I called the people who did the conversion to get an estimate on removing the rear tack & 1/2 ramp & converting from slant to straightload.
    Trailer was a '95 Featherlite all aluminum.

This was last March & they quoted me $500. Not so pricy IMO.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Mine was $312 and some change.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    Mine was $312 and some change.
    Could you give us an idea of what exactly was done? Removing original dividers, of course, but replacing with what? A swinging partition? Or the full 2-horse setup with removable center poles w/divider and swinging butt/chest bars? Is your trailer steel or aluminium? Did support points for the bars have to be added? Was the divider custom-fabbed or did they reuse a slant divider?

That seems so outrageously cheap to me, if they really went all out and made it look original/etc. I guess if I ever need a trailer reconfigured I will not be staying in my area!

Thanks for all the input guys! Here is a little more info to maybe help you out.

This is a 7' wide 3H Sundowner we are talking about, there is a removeable rear tack, and the dividers are removable but of course they do have the hardware on the walls (I hadn't thought about that part). There are no mangers to worry about, or I think it would be impossible. Yes it is a step up with double doors and I am pretty sure it doesn't have a post in the back but I'll have to double check that.

I know there are straight load living quarters out there but the prices increase significantly with that option. The other factor is that I am in a pretty remote location and in "western land" to boot, so it's hard to come by trailers designed to fit the big warmbloods. I am weighing out the options of buying locally from someone I know and making the changes, or having to travel 1000+ miles to purchase. It's really just a thought at this point. I really do appreciate the input and suggestions.

The other option that might work for my situation is a slant with a front ramp but I think that will be just as difficult to find...

Please PM me if you have any thoughts on a good place to find reasonably priced straight loads.

GFAG, since my trailer was originally configured as an open stock (no DR), there were no existing partitions to remove. That saved on cost.

Mr. CH also had the requisite tools and know-how to properly install a new partitioning system. If I were scrupulously fair, I should probably add $75-100 to the total cost to account for Mr. CH's time (though he was "paid" via the good ol' barter system).

So the direct expense was just in fabribation of a simple frame that comprises the chest bar and a simple, removable divider. Steel trailer, and the insert was designed to bolt into the existing carrying points of the frame, so no additional shoring up was needed.

The trailer is a '95 model and everything is still going strong despite frequent applications of leaners, scramblers, and what-not. the conversion was done the winter of 2001-2002 to accommodate a longer-bodied horse who was cramped in the slant, but happy as a clam in the straight configuration.
    Equinox Equine Massage

-Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    GFAG, since my trailer was originally configured as an open stock (no DR), there were no existing partitions to remove. That saved on cost.

Mr. CH also had the requisite tools and know-how to properly install a new partitioning system. If I were scrupulously fair, I should probably add $75-100 to the total cost to account for Mr. CH's time (though he was "paid" via the good ol' barter system).

So the direct expense was just in fabribation of a simple frame that comprises the chest bar and a simple, removable divider. Steel trailer, and the insert was designed to bolt into the existing carrying points of the frame, so no additional shoring up was needed.

The trailer is a '95 model and everything is still going strong despite frequent applications of leaners, scramblers, and what-not. the conversion was done the winter of 2001-2002 to accommodate a longer-bodied horse who was cramped in the slant, but happy as a clam in the straight configuration.
    Oh okay, I see! So the low cost is a direct result of a more simple "break down", a simple new fabrication, and above all, the fact that your great hubby had the knowledge to do it himself!

I was going to be shocked and amazed if that got you a more complex strip down, a "fancy" interior (I'm thinking of my trail-et, with all the padding and the removable head divider and the adjustable center divider, etc), and labor for just $300!