The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What weeds when you are in the middle of a drought?

Ryobi products are great and long lasting.

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    Am I the only one who read this as "how much do you pay for your weed?" I was very curious how this was horse related...
    No, you're not. The first line (at least on my screen) says exactly that. "Wacking" gets bumped to the second line.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I have have nothing but distain for Ryobi. Had two (maybe three?) of them, and they never worked. It hated to start, it misfed the line, it was a b*tch to restring.

Anyhow, a few years ago I bought a Stihl 110FS. Yes, it was a gross amount of the $$ outlay, but it doesn't bog down. I weekwack 2200 feet of fence (both sides) in under 1.5 hrs. It has such nice power that you can just about weedwack at slow walk (instead of a Ryobi take a step, wack in baby bites, step).

Just a thought, you do get what you pay for.
    Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    Ryobi products are great and long lasting.
    I was impressed with it the one time I could get it started. What a PITA. I must have gotten a lemon.

How much does a goat cost?
    5ft no climb fencing- $450
    Electric fencing on the inside of the 5ft no climb fencing -$100
    6 pack of beer to apologize to your neighbor for the goats getting out and eating their flower garden- $7.99
    Weedwhacker instead of goats -PRICELESS
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    We have one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46860-56541-...3D2&facetInfo=

It be da bomb!
    I have been *thinking* about getting one of these for a few years now. I don't know anyone who has one. Do they work well or are they a PITA? Have you used it on varied terrain? How well does it push?
    Unicorn Dreams Wholistic Touch
    Proudly owned by: Kopper & Fuego~my super cute bay & chest Arabians , Precocious Leader~aka "Mr. Withers," my dark bay OTTB
    Lightning Bug~ RIP my b/w tobiano TWH.

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    It's a little like having a once a week housekeeper, but for the barn. A barnmaid.
    ^^What I want for Easter. And Christmas. And my birthday. I am soooo over all the spraying required to keep down the weeds, which are likely to be completely invasive this summer owing to the mild winter. What a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    We have one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46860-56541-...3D2&facetInfo=

It be da bomb!
    I have one too! It is awesome. It's going on it's 6th year. I also have a battery weed whack for small areas.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

If you gave me an electric weed wacker to do that? I would laugh, and then tell you NO WAY. Gas powered all the way, they're faster, stronger, and I'll use those suckers to cut down everything, lol. Last summer I was using a Stihl, and it was really nice. Heavy, but worked well.
    (This was only two days a week, for 8-10 hours/day. The summer before that I was weed wacking/mowing 40-60 hours a week. I know my weed wacking. :-P)

Also, spring for the nicer string It's got a thick outer coating of clear rubber on it. It lasts longer and cuts better. It's called Gator Line.

I think the going rate is around $35/hr. if you hired a professional company.

I would probably do it for $12/hr at the least. Listen to music while you weed wack, it's much nicer, lol. Makes it go by lots quicker, and when you sing, nobody can hear you!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Default weeds

I got my guy on craigslist. The fence line takes about $45min and I pay him $40

I want to work for you guys!

I'm an adult (read 30s), and I teach lessons and board at the stable where I also do all the weed wacking (to help with board costs). I use the stable's equipment and fuel...and I get paid $8 an hour. This is a 26-acre farm with 11 different pastures and 4-5 ditches/roadways and two very steep banks that can only be weedeated (is there really a proper way to conjugate that word/make it into an adjective?). I easily put in about 6-10 hours a week during the summer...and I'm BARELY keeping up with it all (if it rains a normal amount).

I'd love to try one of the million btu flame throwers. In the meantime, I use a zero turn, though I used to use a 5hp toro push mower.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by unicorndreams21 View Post
    I have been *thinking* about getting one of these for a few years now. I don't know anyone who has one. Do they work well or are they a PITA? Have you used it on varied terrain? How well does it push?
    I have the Sears version, and I adore it! Works great, no string head to hassle with (the string is easy to change, since it comes in foot long chunks...just double it over, stick the fold in the slot, and pull). It's not self-driven, so needs to be pushed, but is easy to do. I would never go back to a hand held trimmer after this. Worth every penny.

I have a zero turn mower. The blade section on the left will go under my flex fence - I just have to go "around" the fence posts. I have almost 9,000ft of fenceline (and 7 outbuildngs w/landscaping) - so that makes it much easier. I pay my barn guy $12 hour and weedeating is a part of his duties.

We have ECHO and STIHL equipment. Long lasting and powerful! Our weedeater has the body straps - so you "wear" it instead of carrying all the weight.

LOVE my little Ryobi battery weed whacker. It'll go through a knee high tangle of wet grass and light vines if you don't bury it. It is NOT on par with a gas operated one, that is for sure, but I'm totally impressed with the thing..... and this is from a former Ryobi hater. I always hated their power tools, thought they were junk, worse than B&D.... but I find their new lithium battery line rocks.

I weed whack until the battery dies as someone else mentioned, about 20 min and thats plenty for me anyhow. I maintain the fenceline and roughs of appx 2.5 acres by 20 min appx 3x a week.

I like that I don't have to keep gasoline or oil around or near my barn (I selfcare board, I can't keep this stuff in my garage, etc.).

I like that the machine is MUCH quieter than my Echo gas weedwhacker I use at home. I can weedwack early in the AM while the horses eat breakfast without disturbing the neighbors or having to use ear protection.

Hands don't vibrate as much either, the whole thing is much smoother and quieter.

And I LOVE no exhaust fumes.

I frequently bring my Ryobi home from the barn to use instead of the Echo actually. Its lighter and handier and I can get in tight places to do delicate work like in my rose garden.

I also use the battery operated leaf blower on a daily basis. Not great for actually blowing leaves, but gets my feed/tack room and run in shed tidy in a fraction of the time.

Three thumbs up from me for Ryobi lithium battery tools, though they are NOT tools for big operations.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

Default weed?

whaaaatttt...

In all honesty...about $250 plus expenses. The donkey keeps my fencelines beautifully trimmed. He is worth the cost of upkeep alone to not her the DH bitch about trimming them.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

I actually don't mind doing the weed eating, but the vibration makes my hands shake for hours after. I'm sure I'll regret the abuse in years to come!

wear leather gloves with a thick natural fiber lining, it significantly dampens the vibration.
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    5ft no climb fencing- $450
    Electric fencing on the inside of the 5ft no climb fencing -$100
    6 pack of beer to apologize to your neighbor for the goats getting out and eating their flower garden- $7.99
    Weedwhacker instead of goats -PRICELESS
    HAHAHA.. so true lol

I think that this is the type of job that teenagers were put on the planet for...and after they are done weedwacking around the posts, they can paint the fences. $10 per hour is what we pay.