The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How much do you pay for weed wacking?

I love farm life but I HATE weed wacking.

Thankfully my sister's boyfriend has agreed to weed wack around the fence line at my barn.

The field is about 4.5 acres, a square, with on side not being weed wacked (it's shrub lined)

How much do you think I should pay him?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'm with you - HATE lugging the damn stringcutter around & the vibration makes my hands numb.

The guy I pay to bring his FEL & scrape down my paddock also bush-hogs & will whack weeds if I ask - all of this is priced @ $65/hr with a $100 minimum.

Worth every penny to me, but maybe your sister's BF will work cheaper?

Or I offer my horses:
    They have munched a 2' perimeter all along my 3ac of fencelines.
    They've done a better job than any weedwhacker
    A bonus for not having electric fencing.
    Pony has scraped a bald spot in his mane, but still worth it to me.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Dinner.

Luckily DH can't stand not having the weeds nicely trimmed along the fence. He's the bestest ever.

Part of the pay equation would be determined by whether he is providing the equipment, fuel and string, or are you.... We pay 10$ an hour for farm labor. We usually have 6-8 hours of work stockpiled to make it worth the workers while to come out.

Am I the only one who read this as "how much do you pay for your weed?" I was very curious how this was horse related...
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    Am I the only one who read this as "how much do you pay for your weed?" I was very curious how this was horse related...
    No, it didn't say 'wacky weed', it said 'weed wacking'!

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    Yes, apparently you were!

and that makes me curious to know if your screen name is horse related?
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

We have 3 1/2 acres, with about 1000 feet of fenceline that needs weed whacking regularly. Fortunately the SO likes to do this chore. The job takes at least one afternoon to do well, depending on what's growing, how long since the last whacking, and the season. That's 4-5 hours. Using your trimmer, I'd offer him $50 or $10/hour if it's longer for acceptable reasons ( lots of woody brush, trimmer breaks down, whatever.)
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

We pay $12/hour and furnish the weed whacker, string and gas.

We have a lightweight rechargeable Ryobi weed eater. It has a heavy battery and a lighter battery. When the batteries are completely out, cool. That is about the time I am ready to call it quits for the day.

No string pulling, gasoline games (mixing the gas/oil), no sting, much MUCH less vibration, not as heavy. It is either on or off at a gentle pull of the trigger. We have a long road frontage and I can do the entire length on one charge.

The charge lasts quite a while. And yes, it DOES cut stuff.

Under $100, HomeDepot.

When you do work like that, it is the better of the jobs. If you have to pay help, then it will not be quality. Increase the $ per hour. I guess it depends on how much it is worth to you, not what the least amount somebody will take. It is hard work, but easy.

Get a lightweight rechargeable, and YES I live on a farm and do all the weed eating around here.

I pay a professional lawncare company $40.00/hr for weedwacking under all my post and rail fence and the drainage ditch at the road. It usually takes 2-2.5 hrs but this first time it was 5 hrs because they had to get some places in the pastures that I couldn't get with the mower without getting stuck again.

I started using them in '07 when I had carpal tunnel in both hands and consider it some of the best $ I spend. I have 2 weedwackers myself, a Toro and a Stihl but don't really want to go back to doing it again. I wouldn't mind as much if the damned cord didn't get stuck when you're only 1/2 way done but I'm still glad to have someone else do it. I know I can't do it in less than 4 hrs and that's time I can spend here on COTH.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

ooooh!
    I'm gonna check out that Ryobi.
    I've already gone through 2 cordless & one gas-powered trimmers.

Cordless ones only gave me about 1hr trimming before they needed recharging.

I managed to rip the fuel line out of the gas one.

Oh, WTF - I hate dealing with the stoopid plastic cord, may as well pay FEL Man to do it for me.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

How much does a goat cost?

I have a guy that comes on Tuesday afternoons for 5 hours at $15 an hour and he does pretty much anything I want him to do. My tools and fuel. Weed wacking is high on the list as I have a over a mile of four board. He strips stalls, sprays weed killer, moves jumps, takes the trash to the dump etc. I also save any heavy lifting for Tuesdays too. It's great. It's a little like having a once a week housekeeper, but for the barn. A barnmaid.

I've got a high school kid that would do it for $10 an hour (my tools and fuel) but I'm happy to pay more to have someone all year. In the winter he mans the front lines on the never ending battle against invasive exotics since weed wacking isn't a problem.

I pay a college student $10.00 hour, supply lunch and water or Gatoraide, weed whacker, string and fuel.

I don't. I go out there about twice a year with a couple of jugs of Roundup and call it a day.
    I get on the riding mower with my little jug and ride along the fence line and spray away.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

i pay $25 an hour, his tools and fuel - he does a great job and prevents family squabbles as a bonus.
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

We have one of these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_46860-56541-...3D2&facetInfo=

It be da bomb!

My father and son stall cleaners want extra work. They ask $10 per hr ea. for extra projects, so $10x2 for weed eating miles of fence tomorrow. Have 3rd guy following up with weed spraying on fenceline. I have one weed eater. They have one. My gas my wacker string. My weed killer and sprayer.

GET OUT! That Ryobi works????

Very cool