The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lowcountry- btw the swamp & the deerstand

Default Short flap dressage saddle

Does anyone have any suggestions for dressage saddles with short flaps (approx 15")? Budget is 3k. I have been trying to do business with Custom Saddlery (S.Peters Advantage), but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

My BO has a Spirig with a short flap. I don't know what they run now...a few years ago they were around 3K.

I used to have an older Black Country Eden with a short flap; I was not the original owner, so I don't know if it was standard. They run between $2500 and $3000.

Check with Pelham Saddlery; they get used short flap saddles in fairly regularly, and also sell several brands new that are within your budget and have a short flap option (e.g. Frank Baines.)
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I've gotten lucky with getting short flap saddles from County's demo lists.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I've had super luck finding used saddles with short flaps, although it takes a bit of looking. Ditto the recommendation for Pelham Saddlery - they do a huge used saddle business and I've lucked out there before.

Also check Rick's Heritage, VTO, Trumbull Mountain, fine-used-saddles.com

Personally, I love Custom Saddles and have never had a complaint with the customer service. (You could always go through Dover if you really wanted to try an off-the-shelf advantage. I believe they can order the short flap option.)

AFA other brands, I've also had Frank Baines, Prestige, Master, and Passier short flap saddles. County, Kieffer, Schleese, Niedersuss, & Hennig also come to mind.

Good luck with your saddle search!
    Last edited by retrofit; Jun. 6, 2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added more brands
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince