The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Konig vs. Cavallo vs. Petrie - AKA I WANT NEW BOOTS

I have decided to bite the bullet and spring for some new boots. I'm going to get navy ones, so I know I am limited to these three sellers. (IF there are others, please advise!)

Experiences? Thoughts? Any tips on sellers?

TIA

I bought a pair of brown Konigs in Germany last fall. The break in time was zero! they are the most comfortable boots ever.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I really wanted Konigs this winter, but after trying on 30+ pairs in different combinations of sizes, the boot fitter finally persuaded me to compare with a Petrie. The fit issue at my ankle that we couldn't seem to resolve was an instant fix by changing brands. I still "like" Konigs better in theory, but I'm also tickled pink with how great my custom Petries have worked out for me.

So, I'm not sure there is a one best brand. If you can try boots on, that may make the decision a lot easier. I'd still vote for Konigs so long as they fit

I have a two pairs of Konigs (one for show) and pair of Petries. Love the Konigs! The Petries are nice, functional boots. They have held up well, leather is mid quality, zipper was replaced. The Konigs seem to be made of nicer leather.

Although the show boots are not patent leather, they have a lovely shine when cleaned and conditioned. I got the schooling Konigs for a ridiculous price on eBay and they happened to be my size. Both Konigs have held up well and look nice. I prefer the Konigs to the Petries in terms of fit and quality.

DeNiro makes gorgeous navy colored boots:

http://trackright.co.uk/collections/...omidnightboots

These are obviously not dressage style boots, but you can order their Raphaelo model boot in navy blue...and pretty much any other color under the rainbow, too.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had issues not finding boots that fit? I'm thinking of getting some dressage boots, but nothing off the rack will work for me. I need a 16.5" calf and something around the same height. I also have a very small ankle.

I will probably wait until I lose a few lbs (well actually more than a few.) and would like to purchase later this summer. Even when I'm close to my ideal weight though, my calves are always much wider than just about anything out there. The Ariats I currently wear are field boots that have an elastic panel in the back.

Do any boot makers do semi-custom dressage boots as in match up standard off the rack footbed to a custom top?

Snicklefritz, check out Calevo.com. They have Koenigs and Cavallos, and offer both custom and semi-custom options. I believe the semi-custom is the option that would work for you. As a bonus, their prices are great!

1 members found this post helpful.

Try Kroop Boots....custom boots....US made in Laurel MD in a small craft shop....for about the same price as an off the rack boot.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

About Kroop- will they make a stiff boot are are they all on the soft side?

I haven't seen Kroop but I am a big fan of Made in the USA. Will have to check them out. Thanks for the tip!

IF I were queen, and could shoot majickal faerie dust out of my eyes, I would get a polo style boot in navy. I really like the concept of having the zipper in the front of the boot. My current boots are on the inside of my boots and I have had nothing but trouble with them. IDK who thought that putting the zip on the inside was better than the back. Both ways mine get dirt and hair in them and it trashes the zipper.

SnicklefritzG Petrie offer semi-custom through dressageextensions or German dealer germantack.com (Kitty B). I ordered my first pair of Petries in 2007 from Dresssage Extensions and am just now buying a new pair as the current boots are just to not look nice enough for showing after 7.5 years of wear 4-5 days a week. Going to keep old pair for schooling and new pair for showing, so expect my second pair to last even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxluvr View Post
    I haven't seen Kroop but I am a big fan of Made in the USA. Will have to check them out. Thanks for the tip!

IF I were queen, and could shoot majickal faerie dust out of my eyes, I would get a polo style boot in navy. I really like the concept of having the zipper in the front of the boot. My current boots are on the inside of my boots and I have had nothing but trouble with them. IDK who thought that putting the zip on the inside was better than the back. Both ways mine get dirt and hair in them and it trashes the zipper.
    http://www.kroopboots.com/

Talk to Randy.....she will make them as soft or as stove-pipe as you want.

And maybe even in navy.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

I haves pair of Konigs and petries. I would vote for Konigs. Petries are new and they are painful to break in. My friend has cavallos no break In time.

Check out ALEX boots. http://www.romitelli-riding-boots.co...18-whole-boots They were all over Wellington this year. LOTS of cool colors/leathers/designs etc. Very realistic prices too. My next pair will be ALEX boots - (When I saw them I had JUST bought a pair of Ariats...... grrrrrrrrr)

I love my DeNiros! The do navy. I think for semi-custom you're looking at around $1k+ though. They are great to break in, and the ankles are slim and flattering. They have a lot of options if you decide to go semi-custom or custom.

Have you checked with Vogel and denher? They might not advertise as carrying navy but both are custom so may be able to accommodate. I only mention as both are US companies and an easy phone call to make.

I have had three pairs of vogels (they are nice enough someone decided to steal a pair out of my car but that's another story...) quality is great, fit is great, customer service is great. My schooling boots are a lovely ox blood, and I get tons of complements on them. They have an inner front zipper which I've never had any issue with.

My trainer has dehner as she is a big fan of the elk ankle and how quickly they break in.

I have all three. I haven't broken the Konigs in yet but the one time I wore them they were comfortable-ish for new boots. The Petries are okay, but too stiff for my taste--kind of like having your leg inside a PVC pipe. The Cavallos are the most comfortable. That said, my Dehners are far and away my favorites. I am cheap so I buy boots on ebay. If you know your size, you can find some good deals. I also hate zippers--they break when you really need them and black gorilla taped boots at shows is not my best look.

I got custom "Olympic" Petries direct from the Netherlands for about $425 delivered. If you can measure your own leg (according to their directions) and can wait for them to be made, it's a bargain.

They offer about any style, color, and texture imaginable:
    http://www.dutchridingboots.eu/en/co...surements.html
    Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
    SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant), and Donatella M (Furstenball/ Jazz Time)
    'Like' us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    Try Kroop Boots....custom boots....US made in Laurel MD in a small craft shop....for about the same price as an off the rack boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffy the cat View Post
    About Kroop- will they make a stiff boot are are they all on the soft side?
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxluvr View Post

Just a little note about Kroop. I, too, LOVED the idea of buying American and supporting a small business so I did. I did not have the best experience. I started a thread awhile back if you're interested in reading it. If you can actually get to her shop and be measured personally by Randy, you may have better success. I ordered mine and did all my own measurements, sent pictures of boots that fit along with their specs with less than stellar results. She very much holds to old traditions, for instance: She didn't want to put a zipper in mine because according to her, "they always break". And you know what, it did, exactly one month into wearing them. When I contacted her about fit issues, she took it very personally (said her boots were like her babies) and said she never should've made the boots for me. I took the boots to a local cobbler who was able to make some adjustments that make the boots work for me. When I contacted her again a month later when the zippers broke, I got NO response whatsoever. I ordered in the US, because I *thought* that if I had a problem with the fit on a custom boot, it would be easier to remedy. Unfortunately that was not the case. They are decent boots, not super quality, but nothing like Petrie/Cavallo/Konig, if that's what you're looking for.

I had great experiences dealing with Dehner directly.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=