The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse won't let me sell it--bit of a rant

Ugh it happened again... someone came to see one of my horses and she flopped the test ride (well sort of). I have this great mare who couldn't be sweeter under saddle and is pretty good in hand (maybe a little pushy when grass is around but nothing unusual). Anyway I bought her as an OTTB project and the goals I set out to accomplish have been accomplished so now i'm trying to get her an owner who will have her be their horse exclusively and really start her new career. So she is for sale, but every time someone comes out to see her she turns in to the horse from hell. Sometimes she is very antsy sometimes she whinnies for her pasture the entire time and today she was something else entirely (grr). I had a lovely woman come out and test ride her a week or so ago and she was actually pretty good... a little pushy but that is all. This week she came out for her second ride and to take her over some jumps because we couldn't last time due to the weather. I was so excited they seemed like a perfect match (i was ready and willing to drop her price so this woman could afford to take her home). What does my mare do? She KICKS me square in the leg just for looking at her foot! I have never ever had this horse even threaten to kick someone and she does it when these people are ready to call for a vet check? Granted when I got on her she felt a bit stiff through the leg so I think it may be hurting and the vet is coming to check her out and make sure everything is all right. The thing is she's been sore or cut before and she's a little wary of you touching her but she has never tried to kick me. I guess I'm just frustrated because I want her to go to a great home, but if she keep throwing tantrums no one is going to want her and I don't have the time to give all the love and attention I think she needs; she needs a one horse owner for sure. Any advice on showing her well or just some comforting?! haha

To me it just sounds like she's picking up on your nervousness when someone comes to see her. You probably don't realize it, but you are probably doing things just a little differently when there is someone there to see her.

Maybe have practice sessions with a friend who is pretending to look for a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by xQHDQ View Post
    To me it just sounds like she's picking up on your nervousness when someone comes to see her. You probably don't realize it, but you are probably doing things just a little differently when there is someone there to see her.

Maybe have practice sessions with a friend who is pretending to look for a horse.
    Agree. Especially with getting her used to or comfortable with strangers.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have been trying the getting used to stranger thing! I hope it starts working soon.
    I don't think I'm giving off any nervous vibes... It isn't out of necessity that I'm trying to sell her and I've shown horses before, but who knows she is one of my rescue babies and I take extra special care trying to match them up so they can continue forward and never look back to that awful race track mindset.
    I honestly think she can just tell a real buyer from my pretend ones... It's hard for someone to fake the excitement and nervousness of trying out their potential future horse. I don't know.

Have a go at letting someone else present horse, and go sit somewhere in your truck and watch.....