The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ariat Volant Collection

I finally cracked open my new Dover catalog and saw these boots,

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=316203613

and while I really can't imagine paying that much for a boot I'm not too sure I like the look of, something about them intrigues me. Has anyone tried them yet...or at least seen them around? There are half chaps in the collection as well.
    Spring Paddocks, LLC
    Breeding Welsh and Half-Welsh Ponies.
    www.springpaddocksponies.com

These actually look better in person. I didn't try them on, but I've been told they're like wearing tennis shoes! Might be nice for schooling. For me however, I would still want to wear a more traditional field boot for showing.

At my lesson today it turns out my trainer just got a pair. She absolutely loves them and said she's broken them in in about 4 days.

I've decided I'm going to save up for a pair for schooling.
    Last edited by Spindrift; Jun. 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: More info

Yeah, that's what got me too...they look so much like tennis shoes. I would imagine them to be pretty comfortable. I don't know what I'd think if I saw them in the show ring though.
    Spring Paddocks, LLC

They remind me of the boots Nike designed as part of their "Shoes for Every Olympic Sport" or whatever it was campaign in 2008. Come to think of it, the Nike boots might have been more traditional, at least in the "no readily visible zipper" sense.

I have the solid black ones. I had ordered the ones with the red zipper, and these were sent instead. These are like no tall boot I've ever had on. They do feel like tennis shoes. They are tall, even for the regular height. I am recovering from a herniated disc, and hope to ride in them very soon. I like them so much that I am considering the front zip ones. They do look better in hand. I know I will love riding in them.

There are other threads about these boots. I have the all black pair and they are hands down the most comfortable tall boots I have ever owned. They were also the easiest to break in and the foot part are more comfortable then my Uggs. When I am in the saddle you can barely even notice that they are different looking. I will see if I can find a pic of me riding in them to post. With all this being said, I ride in the jumpers and would not show in the hunters in them. I have been wearing them to ride in every day.

Not sure I really like the look of them but they are interesting. Really do look like a running shoe in leather. I'll have to keep an eye out for them next time I'll in the tack store

Thanks everyone. Post pics if you can.
    Spring Paddocks, LLC

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I saw these in the tack shop today and while they do look really interesting, and comfortable, I think they're too futuristic looking to show in. But I also liked how they got the zipper placement RIGHT or at least, more RIGHT than the back of the boot...grrr.

I actually have these boots. I've had them for a few months and I love them. They are they most comfortable, grippiest boot I've ever had. I ride in them all the time. They are fully lined, so I don't think they'll wear holes anytime soon. The zippers are heavy duty, better than most of the Ariat zippers.

I show jumpers, and I have shown in these. I wouldn't think they are appropriate for hunters, but for cross country and jumpers, its ok.

I do recommend them. They really are a nice boot, soft and easy to break in.

I just tried them on, and loved them. I don't own them yet but when I can justify the purchase I will own a pair.

They made my feet and legs feel so good walking around the store. I didn't think the price was inappropriate either.

I would wear them for daily riding, or the jumper ring. JMO.

I tried on the red pair at the tack shop and immediately fell in love. I've never tried on anything as comfortable. Wish I could afford a pair!

question: from the pictures in the catalog it looks like the footbed is kinda of wide/clunky more gym-shoe-y. Do you guys that own them feel that way? How thick is the leather?

I love talls boots that are very thin (i have an uber sensitive horse) and don't want a lot of bulk in the footbed. That's why I've always stayed away from even paddock boots which I find heavy and bulky.

I've been eyeing this up too.... for the paddock boots, do they sit below your ankle like tennis shoes? I assume the bottoms are grippy like tennis shoes? I much prefer the grip and height of tennis shoes for riding than regular boots but it makes me nervous to not have a heel and these seem like they might be exactly what I'm looking for.

I hate to mention, but will the zippers give up after a short period of time? Do they look like other Ariat zippers?
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by mojo7777 View Post
    I hate to mention, but will the zippers give up after a short period of time? Do they look like other Ariat zippers?
    From what I've seen the zippers appear to be more substantial than on other Ariats... I hope they would last longer, but I don't know...

Well I am still undecided, but they look so comfortable! I guess that is what's most important when I'd be riding in them every day. My little Ariat paddock boots are nice, but my feet are still sore after a few hours of working outside.
    Spring Paddocks, LLC

I tried them on in the store for fun when I was looking for a new pair of boots-they were like wearing tennis shoes! SO comfortable...I wish they looked a little more "traditional" but they were a joy for my feet to walk around in .
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

Here is a pic of me riding in the boots. Sorry that it's not an action shot, but I think it shows that the boots aren't as noticeably different looking as one would think. Also, please disregard my hand gestures-LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

The foot bed in these boots are incredible, they are made with the quantum foot bed from Ariat. The zippers on all Ariat boots have been improved in the last year or so and are much more substantial, the bottom of the boot itself, what some are saying look clunky, well that's because the last of the boot comes up around the boot, therefore it has less of a chance of separating from the leather. The inside of your calf feels much like the monaco, but unlike the monaco there are three layers of leather there, to prevent wearing holes. These boots were designed and made to be worn more often then the traditional ariat show boot, therefore they should last much longer. Everyone I know that has them loves them.