The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question trailer shopping for 2006 Toyota Tundra SR5-- newbie needs advice!

Hi Folks,

I recently bought my first truck (a 2006 Tundra SR5 with the larger engine, plus tow package). I love the truck and so far it has been perfect, but the reason I bought it was to tow horses, which I haven't tried yet. Does anyone out there tow with a Tundra? If so, what is your experience?

I'm currently looking for a trailer, and our nearby dealer has a 2 horse, bumper-pull, straight-load Hawk for the right price. The trailer is 16 feet long (it has storage/ dressing area in the front) and weighs about 3,200 pounds empty.

I have only one horse who weighs around 1200 pounds, but I'd like to have the option of towing two full-sized horses plus gear, so fully loaded it could weigh over 6,000 pounds, maybe closer to 7,000.

Does anyone know if there is an advantage or disadvantage to a longer or shorter trailer? Does one provide more stability than the other? Also, is a heavier trailer more or less stable than a light one, or does it all depend on the hitch?

I am concerned about road sway and getting up hills... Sounds like a weight distribution BP hitch is the best option, but will I need anything else? I've never owned a trailer before and don't have any towing experience, so definitely want to play it safe. If anyone has advice or tips, I would be grateful.

THANKS!

You ought to post this on Horse Trailer World http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/newhome.asp AND search the archives of the Forums for the topic TUNDRA.

Horse Trailer World has the BEST information I've found anywhere for horse trailers, trucks, and towing safely.

I did a quick search and found this discussion on the towing abilities of the Tundra truck: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for...threadid=15400

Good luck!!
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Here's another great discussion on towing with a Tundra: HTTP://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for...threadid=14626
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

I own a 2007 Tundra SR5 5.6L with weight displacement tow package and I adore it. Pulls a 2 horse bumper pull Featherlite with tackroom; trailer is the one designed for tall Warmbloods. Equipped with Prodigy brake controller. This baby hauls fully loaded with two big horses, and acceleration is no problem. I did not attach the sway bars because I would have had to cut into the trailer tongue, but I experience very little sway including when 18 wheelers blow by. You'll be smiling!
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

does your truck have a full back seat? The length of the truck is very important for stability. My first truck was a single cab F-150 rated to tow 7,300. My first trailer didn't have a DR and it towed it fine.

My 2nd one did and I found the truck needed more wheelbase. It moved alot on the road when big trucks went by. I tried the sway bars, but the hitch and bars were a (*&*^ to put on by myself (extremely heavy).

You need a minimum of 121" to pull one with a DR, so you must have the back seat to get this. Check the specs on your truck. If you have it, you should be fine.

I got rid of the F-150 and got a 3/4 ton crew cab and it was heaven - very stable. I know have a GN and it pulls even better.