The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dogs eating manure

Does anyone else have an issue with dogs giving themselves an extra "snack" down at the barn? We live with six horses here and my dogs are addicted to the poo. It's disgusting and I try to work with them on it but its hard to remove all temptation. They've gotten better about it, they will no longer sneak into a stall while a horse is in the ring or outside to eat, but we use the manure to fill in holes on the property and they will find the holes and gorge themselves. I don't really care THAT much about the nasty factor, but my younger dog has started developing sores on his chin, from the ammonia I think. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I don't know whether its serious enough to call the vet about, but it looks painful and gross so I'd like to help it clear up.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Just don't worry about it. Dogs were designed to eat really disgusting things.

I have read somewhere that they need green grass or the nutrients in green grass, but they lack the digestive juices to break grass down. That's why they will eat grass and promptly throw it back up. That's also why the first thing they eat from vegetarian critters that they kill, ie rabbits, etc., is the stomach and its contents because the green stuff is already partially digested for them and they can utilize it.

I just figure that manure is full of partially digested grass and/or hay, and that the dogs wouldn't eat it if they didn't need/like it.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

As VR said, don't worry about the eating.

For digging up the holes, top dress the horse manure w/ dog poop and they will (or should) leave it alone.

I don't know about the sores.... I've not seen that happen...

Quote Originally Posted by millerra View Post
    As VR said, don't worry about the eating.

For digging up the holes, top dress the horse manure w/ dog poop and they will (or should) leave it alone.

I don't know about the sores.... I've not seen that happen...
    Unless you have my dog. That would be like cherries on top of the sunday for him

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Unless you have my dog. That would be like cherries on top of the sunday for him
    EEWWWW! That's worse than cat poop!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I don't care if they dine on fresh horse poop in the barn. When they bring a fresh, green, stenchy turd into the house to snack on--I draw the LINE! Gag!

With 6 dogs, I figure it is simple repurposing of nutrients. And dog poop full of horse poop composts much better
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I too have multiple dogs and although we have moved from the farm, thus removing them from the Horse Turd Candy Store, they will still sneak a snack of each other's turds now and then. They eat lots of vegetables and fruit, so maybe it tastes good the second time too. Grosses me out but I can't seem to totally stop it!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Yep, dogs.......they are quite disgusting aren't they! Besides horse poop, mine also snuffles for rabbit poop like she's digging for truffles! Should see her, that lab nose wiggling away in the grass and then a look of pure joy as she chomps down on the berry layden rabbit turd......blech.....
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I'd prefer them to eat it over rolling in it.

My dog isn't interested in the fresh stuff...what she loves is the frozen "poopcycles" that are abundant in the winter! That seems less gross to me. My vet says it is fiber... but to be careful after deworming or if a horse is on certain medications that are dangerous to dogs and can be passed through poo.

Quote Originally Posted by ponies123 View Post
    Does anyone else have an issue with dogs giving themselves an extra "snack" down at the barn? We live with six horses here and my dogs are addicted to the poo. It's disgusting and I try to work with them on it but its hard to remove all temptation. They've gotten better about it, they will no longer sneak into a stall while a horse is in the ring or outside to eat, but we use the manure to fill in holes on the property and they will find the holes and gorge themselves. I don't really care THAT much about the nasty factor, but my younger dog has started developing sores on his chin, from the ammonia I think. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? I don't know whether its serious enough to call the vet about, but it looks painful and gross so I'd like to help it clear up.
    Could be that the sores aren't related to the poo-eating. Does your younger guy eat (regular food, that is) from a plastic bowl? Young dogs get a bacterial infection like acne-one cause is contact w/plastic. Does he have any other sores on his head or neck, or in his groin?

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Yes ma'am!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    LOL! So true

My puppy seems to like horse poo, cow poo, chicken poo and of course.....kitty roca!
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Talking

KITTY ROCA!!!! EXCELLENT!!!

I had heard somewhere that the Navajo word for dog literally translates into manure eater . My little dogs are worse than my big dogs in the poo eating category. I used to have a little yorkie poo that was a dedicated poo eater. Her most favorite poo belonged to my male yorkie. When he was out in the yard and "assumed the postion" she would get right behind him and literally wait for the the turd to fall out of his butt. Grrrosssss! She loved chicken poop too. Things got really gross when she would over indulge and then come in the house and vomit it all back up . I have a couple of large dogs now that I have to keep a close eye on because they love fresh horse poop. One of them will gleefully roll in it too which does nothing to amuse my daughter who's bed he sleeps in at night.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    LOL! So true

My puppy seems to like horse poo, cow poo, chicken poo and of course.....kitty roca!
    Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    I had heard somewhere that the Navajo word for dog literally translates into manure eater . My little dogs are worse than my big dogs in the poo eating category. I used to have a little yorkie poo that was a dedicated poo eater. Her most favorite poo belonged to my male yorkie. When he was out in the yard and "assumed the postion" she would get right behind him and literally wait for the the turd to fall out of his butt. Grrrosssss! She loved chicken poop too. Things got really gross when she would over indulge and then come in the house and vomit it all back up . I have a couple of large dogs now that I have to keep a close eye on because they love fresh horse poop. One of them will gleefully roll in it too which does nothing to amuse my daughter who's bed he sleeps in at night.
    BLECKK!! I knew one who did the same-she positioned herself at the poo fountain, and especially loved the diarrhea dogs--she'd follow them around the field, just waiting for them to assume the position....I could never quite forgive her for putting that sight into my memory.