The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The heat after foal heat... will teh baby get diarrhea again?

Just curious since I like to know what to expect. THanks.

Most likely yes, depends on how strong the mare's cycle is. Have the vaseline ready to slather the hindend.

Wonderful.

Then you get to pick the sticky gifts out the tail or you can wear them when baby demands to have it butt rubbed on you, of course, because it is itchy.
    One of the many joys of a new foal.

sometimes but I lucked out this year with only foal heat one as the filly is all white and it looks even worse! Also thankfully she is very laid back and didn't mind having her hiney washed.

"Foal heat scours" are not related to foal heat. It's a coincidence of timing.

The scouring was in the past often thought to be caused by hormonal changes in the mare's milk brought about by the onset of the first estrus after foaling, and then someone noticed that the orphan foal in the corner stall that was being fed milk replacer also developed "foal heat scours"...

The scouring that is seen is now thought to be associated with a bit of an upset stomach for the foal, most likely as a result of them getting into all kinds of "new" things environmentally - not pathogens, just "stuff" (scouring associated with an elevated temperature and lack of enthusiasm in the foal should of course be regarded as something more significant than "foal heat scours" and evaluated).

Interestingly, one can often reduce or eliminate the presence of "foal heat scours" by deworming the mare with Ivermectin immediately after foaling. Other dewormers may have a similar effect, but my experience has only been with Ivermectin - we keep a tube in the foaling bucket to deworm the mare at the same time as dipping the foal's navel with Chlorhexidine and tying up the placenta, that way it doesn't get forgotten.

The answer therefore to the OPs actual question is - "perhaps", but not as a consequence of the next estrus, as it is not related to estrus!

Regards to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post

Interestingly, one can often reduce or eliminate the presence of "foal heat scours" by deworming the mare with Ivermectin immediately after foaling. Other dewormers may have a similar effect, but my experience has only been with Ivermectin - we keep a tube in the foaling bucket to deworm the mare at the same time as dipping the foal's navel with Chlorhexidine and tying up the placenta, that way it doesn't get forgotten.

Regards to all.
    I didnt see a difference with the Ivermectin, just went through it with the first colt of the year, but did see good results giving 10c of probios to the foal, and adding probios to the mares diet.

As a precaution I gave both Probios and Ivermectin to the mare post foaling.. I may be in overkill mode this year but new place, more stress.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

The only supplement my vets have told me to use all of the time has been probios. (that along with adequan injections on older riding horses)

My girls get one small scoop in the AM feedings and one small scoop in the PM feedings.

I gave the mare ivermectrin on day 320 and the filly was born on day 327. The vet told me to give it on day 320 and then every 20 days until the foal was born. This way it's killed the worms before that first drink.

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    The only supplement my vets have told me to use all of the time has been probios. (that along with adequan injections on older riding horses)

My girls get one small scoop in the AM feedings and one small scoop in the PM feedings.

I gave the mare ivermectrin on day 320 and the filly was born on day 327. The vet told me to give it on day 320 and then every 20 days until the foal was born. This way it's killed the worms before that first drink.
    I've never heard those instructions regarding Ivermectin. Generally Ivermectin is to be given to the mare within 12-24 hours post foaling. I give it right after dipping the foal's umbilicus.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

What's the point of giving ivermectin? To kill the worms right? So if the worms are killed before the mare foals, the milk is covered on that very first drink and not a day later.

I guess it works either way.

Ever since I started using ivermectrin post foaling foal heat scours has been pretty much eliminated. My foal this year hasn't had diarrhea ever, which is so nice.

There was a double blind study done on using pro-bios in horses published a few years ago, and the results of that indicated that they weren't especially useful.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Ever since I started using ivermectrin post foaling foal heat scours has been pretty much eliminated. My foal this year hasn't had diarrhea ever, which is so nice.

There was a double blind study done on using pro-bios in horses published a few years ago, and the results of that indicated that they weren't especially useful.
    Really? Do you have a link to the study? My vet (actually more than one vet) recommends it not only in the daily diet but also by the manufacturers instruction for post-foaling. That would be a very interesting read if you can find it. I also use Ivemectrin post foaling and still had 'foal heat' diarrhea.

The paper was presented at the AAEP annual meeting a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can find it.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Almost never have foal heat scours here....every mare is treated with ivermectin as soon as she begins dripping milk (or if I miss that...has happened) as soon as she's foaled. Probios has been studied in humans as well and basically useless....most improvement is thought to be placebo effect. Never had scours on 30 day heat.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Just curious since I like to know what to expect. THanks.
    Actually, I'm surprised to read some of the "yes," answers.

Of my 30+ foals, none have gotten diarrhea after the foal heat. Zero.

So, in my experience, I'd think some thing was wrong with the foal if that happened. And I've enough mares back on that heat who did get pregnant to know that everything seemed to be going just fine in the repro dept.

And yes, coating their little butts with zinc oxide or A&D ointment makes the clean up easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jos View Post

Interestingly, one can often reduce or eliminate the presence of "foal heat scours" by deworming the mare with Ivermectin immediately after foaling.

I've done this with every single one of my mares and it's NEVER helped. Not once. Also given the baby probiotics. Also didn't help. Nothing I've done has stopped it.

Now I just say "screw it" and go for the Pepto. Next year I might get some Biosponge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    I've done this with every single one of my mares and it's NEVER helped. Not once. Also given the baby probiotics. Also didn't help. Nothing I've done has stopped it.

Now I just say "screw it" and go for the Pepto. Next year I might get some Biosponge.
    It might be the best conclusion to say that environmental influences effect how or if a product works. We all seem to have various experiences. I for one have had success with the Probios, so even with a research paper on the topic I would have to see the results in front of me to accept it or not. Last year I resorted to the pepto/yogurt to get through, but only for two days.

In prior years, my foals have not had diarrhea on their dam's 2nd heat ... but just to throw an added wrinkle into things, this year my only foal was 100% fine through foal heat - no diarrhea whatsoever - but then developed it on the 2nd heat! Go figure. I had given ProBios to mare and baby before/during foal heat, so maybe that helped - but I've also done that in the past with babies that did still develop foal heat diarrhea. With this year's foal, when he developed diarrhea on the 2nd heat, I treated him with BioSponge and things cleared right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    I've never heard those instructions regarding Ivermectin. Generally Ivermectin is to be given to the mare within 12-24 hours post foaling. I give it right after dipping the foal's umbilicus.
    This.

What's the point of giving ivermectin? To kill the worms right? So if the worms are killed before the mare foals, the milk is covered on that very first drink and not a day later.

I guess it works either way.
    The point of deworming immediately post-foaling is that you are specifically targeting Strongyloides westeri, which is the only parasite transmitted in the milk (see excerpt below) The time frame is important, because deworming too far in advance of pre-foaling (more than a couple of days) will not stop the transmission of these parasites. It used to be believed that they were a leading cause of foal-heat diarrhea, but now the jury is out on that. I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't had a case of foal heat scours since using the Ivermectin w/in 12 hours of birth.

"Deworming the foal.

Young foals are generally more susceptible to parasites than adult horses. Exposure begins early. One parasite, Strongyloides westeri, can be transferred in the mare's milk. Other parasite eggs can be shed in the dam's manure. Therefore deworming your mare shortly after foaling with a product effective against Strongyloides sp and a wide range of other parasites is recommended as the first step in protecting your foal from an overwhelming load of parasites."
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com