The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I find the "oh shit strap requires my reins to be TOO long to use it effectively in the hunt field.

Some people will use the yoke of their breast plate. Again, sometimes your reins would be TOO long, especially balancing at speed.

A "Jesus strap", aka a neck strap, allows you to adjust the strap to the place that you find as your best control point.

Go for a canter in a field with your reins collected and hands in front of you, not in your lap, and you will see the best point to have the strap adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    Goona go ride in the back seat, with my foot home in the stirrup. You guys have great lingo. As for the kneck strap is this better than an Oh shit strap that clips to the Ds? I have one of those already.
    The strap to the Ds is too low, you would have to have your hands in your lap over the fence.

Try a neck strap put on tight enough that it is going to be partially up the horse's neck.

Place it where you will have your hands at a nice crest release, but holding onto the strap! The idea is you are giving your horse a nice release and staying out of his mouth, and out of his way. It will help you stay out of the saddle after you just sat the last 5 strides before the jump (deep to the base) .

I have an oh shit strap too, but have never used it. I always find that I reach about a 1/3-1/2 of the way up the mane and grab, so a neck strap would work better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    I know nothing so what does get worse the further out you go mean?

Goona go ride in the back seat, with my foot home in the stirrup. You guys have great lingo. As for the kneck strap is this better than an Oh shit strap that clips to the Ds? I have one of those already.
    It means that if you just ease over the wall you have about a 3' drop. If you're landing is further out the drop is getting bigger. Imagine a wall with a drop to a slight hillside. Then picture that hillside getting steeper about 4' out away from the base of the wall.