The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My darn cat is on our LAST nerve!

I need some suggestions! Buster cat has always had litterbox issues, mostly when it comes to pooping, but also will pee outside the box to display his anger (on dog beds and area rugs).
    We have had him about 6years now, he has just turned 11 (or 12?) We have tried numerous things to deal with the issue including Busiprone and off course meds when an infection would come up.
    About a yr and a 1/2 ago we got a diagnosis of chronic kidney failure (one is 3x normal size) by going to a specialized vet with US. But in general he is pretty healthy just now eats a K/D diet. So we figure at least there is somewhat of an explanation for some of his issues, but we still have to resort to him being locked in his own room when no one is home to avoid messes for the past 4 years now (and he still has litterbox issues, just it is contained to the tiled laundry room).

Basically we have about had it and just can't deal with it anymore. He is ruining stuff and we can't even have door mats in the house. He doesn't want to be outside all the time, or we'd do that.
    He has a pheremone collar on now, and tomorrow we are going to pick up a UTI test kit at the vet to make sure that isn't the culprit of his numerous 'accidents' this week.

Anyone have any advice of what to do next? If it isn't a UTI and he is just doing this constantly, we just can't go on like this any longer. One way or the other, he won't be in our house anymore ...

Please don't think of me/us as cruel or heartless. We have 4 senior dogs, 3 senior cats, a horse and an almost 2 year old. We can't have a cat making the house unsanitary for our kid or any friends we have over and we have been at this for years with no real improvements... I can't think of any one or any place that would take him at this point

How about euthanasia instead if he isn't well and if the rest of the house is being disrupted by his behavior.

I understand your frustration...It is a rough position to be in. I can sympathize with you!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Thanks mustangtrailrider, I was thinking people would jump on because we are thinking euthanasia if we can't get him to be happy as and outdoor cat...no one will want him at this age with these issues.

He seems to know he's in trouble, been happily out on the the back patio all day.

He'll be safe as an outdoor cat, our yard is fenced and he has yet to try and get out (I think road noise scares him). We are just going to limit the time he gets to be indoors other than when he is locked in his room due to the heat here during the day during the week.

It just really sucks cause he is a nice, friendly, cuddly cat....

It sounds like you've been a very conscientious cat owner.

I got a cat from the pound last summer and learned a good lesson in why some cats end up at the pound, now and then peeing on the dog bed turned into full on peeing on a guest bed. I have a friend who is a small animal vet and she insisted I take him to my vet, he had a raging UTI and crystals, and urination was tremendously painful.

I wonder if your guy has a life long association with pain and the litter box?

Is there a way that he could live as a 'sort-of' outdoor cat? Patio, garage, laundry room?

Also consider a 2nd litter box as some cats do not like sharing. Plus unless you are cleaning the box all day it will have a smell and some don't care for that.
    Do check for the UTI/crystal issue - very common in male cats.
    Check with your vet for Renal failure oral meds, it might help make your cat feel better.

Finally the renal failure may have moved from chronic to acute. Normally they stop eating and start drinking/peeing and become dehydrated.

Good luck.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I so sympathize.
    No sane person could keep a peeing kitty in the house. You arent cruel or heartless-far from it! You are just UNLUCKY! I had a cat like yours-I adored him. His name was Pee. Nuf said? Peed on-IN-most of my shoes, my husband's jeans (teach HIM to leave his clothes on the floor!), most of my antique oriental carpets... We ended up kicking him and the other 2 cats outside fulltime-couldn't bear to set him out by his lonesome, and set up our garage for them-DH built a kitty kondo-insulated up the hoohah, w/3 heated litty beds, a heated water bowl, and covered w/old horse blankets in winter. They did great out there. I felt and still feel horrible about it, but I draw the line at having my home smelling like cat pee, on top of the cat and dog hair, vomit, drool, etc. I have an old kitteh now who NEVER poops in the box-our spare bathroom has become sh*thole of choice-gotta beat the dogs to the tasty morsels, but at least its tiled and he uses the box for peeing.

I had the same choices you have-euthanasia, outside, dump at the shelter (NEVER) or Peehouse. I loved him sooooo much; I'm glad I chose the outside option. It was tough not to grab him, all of them, in the dead of winter, but I knew we had provided them with all creature comforts. Plus they had each other.

If you can get someone to build a kitty house, you will feel better about your decision...just put it up kinda high and provide easy access-we had a kitty gangplank, carpeted as Pee got older. There are microwavable heating discs we used for a few yrs. before we got the heated beds-great for warmth for 6-7 hrs. We had 2 for each cat bed, and so kept them toasty all thru subzero winters.

All 3 cats enjoyed 3/4 of the year, and we were always outside w/the garden and the dogs, so we had lots of contact. They just hunkered down in the brutal cold.

If your Pee-er isnt in pain, it might be a good option for him. Better than the alternatives.

Tough decision--if you need info on kittyhouse-building, let me know!

Wow, that cat-house sounds awesome!

One of the 3 cats we own one is purely an upstairs cat and her own food, water fountain and litterbox up there...she hates Buster and is scared of the dogs so she stays up behind the baby gates, her own choice. She is 15 and in perfect health (knock on wood) other than only eating C/D and smelly canned foods. Our second cat loves the outdoors now so we put him out with Buster. He uses either litter box (up or laundry room if not locked) or goes outside and eats either food (K/D or C/D and cans). Drinks out of the dog water mostly.

We are actually questioning who done it now! Last night we found the other bathmat peed on (he had been out all day so it occurred right before we were getting ready for bed) so Buster got locked in his room for the night. This morning I found the last dog bed had been peed on! So, now we are going to check both boys for UTI since we know Domino would not do this unless he was sick. Unless he is REALLY smart and wants Buster gone! LOL Fortunatley this dog bed did not get soaked, only the cover got it so we were able to salvage it.

Our plan right now is Buster & Domino stay out during the day as long as our awning is up on the patio for shade and shelter from rain. If not, Buster will be locked up as before in the laundry room. At night they can choose to come in or not; Buster will be allowed in to sleep with us until he does something over night, at which point he will become a full time outdoor kitty. I will def then look into a good house for him for sendon those plans if you can!

I have been through acute renal failure with a young cat of mine about 6 years ago and do not think Buster has progressed to that. He still eats and drinks well and has good a coat quality, no weight loss either.

When we spoke to the vet this weekend she suggested trying Amitriptylene with Buster to see if that makes a difference but hadn't heard about the pheremone collar so she was happy to hear about that.

I found the info on this site helpful:

http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

he's been peeing/pooping in your house for SIX years and suddenly it's "the last nerve"? what changed?

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    he's been peeing/pooping in your house for SIX years and suddenly it's "the last nerve"? what changed?
    This has obviously been boiling a long time. Usually it happens occassionally...and mostly it is pooping outside the box in the laundry room. But then for several days in a row we've had peeing outside the box which ruins things in our house, so it hit my & my hubby's last nerve.
    We are the typical animal lovers that say it, but can never bring ourselves to do 'anything' about it because we feel guilty.

More and more we think it our Domino is the culprit. We weighed him and he's lost a few pounds. Off to the vet with him now.

No advice but we are in the same situation but we have at least two who pee in the house. We have not had ANY rugs in our house for at least 6 years. We have taken the two suspect kitties to the vet and we cannot find anything wrong with either of them. We have 5 cats in the house and 5 litter boxes.......that has helped but nothing has cured it. We do our best to keep clothes off the floor and we put a heavy extra blanket on the bed (yes, they have even peed on our bed)! We have just resigned ourselves that we will have to put up with it until they die!! One cat is very old (19 years old) but one is only 6 1/2 so we will have to deal with it for a while yet.

For us getting rid of them or putting them outside is not an option. I feel that when I get an animal it is for life no matter what. Either we deal with it or if I couldn't take it anymore I would euthanize. I really don't like having my house smell like cat pee but for me I am choosing a life over material things.

Good luck...........I truly know how frustrating it is!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Diamondindykin and anyone else who has a cat that will pee on the bed: I got some waterproof mattress and pillow covers from Walmart when I had a feline leuk positive kitty that started having trouble in the end stage. They aren't the crinkly, plastic ones - they are cloth but really do work. Just an FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    Diamondindykin and anyone else who has a cat that will pee on the bed: I got some waterproof mattress and pillow covers from Walmart when I had a feline leuk positive kitty that started having trouble in the end stage. They aren't the crinkly, plastic ones - they are cloth but really do work. Just an FYI.
    Fantastic idea!!! I will make sure I get some. Thanks!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Doubt this would help since he's peeing lots of other places and has other medical issues - but 2 years ago when our newly acquired cat started peeing and pooping just outside his box - even with plenty of changes and clean litter - I read somewhere online that some cats prefer that one end of the box be clear, or have minimal litter at one end.

We started filling up just one end of the box, and it's worked great since. He puts it where he wants it - guess it has something to do with needing a smooth, flat surface.

My mom has a cat that will literally stand in the box and pee or poop outside of it! I was house sitting for her a number of years ago. I went to change the litter box. As I picked it up, the pan underneath emptied onto me. Little did I know that her cat had this habit. I was soaked in urine. I was fed up.

I went to the wonderful Wallyworld and got a sterilite clear plastic tote. I cut an entrance into the box low enough for cat to walk through but it still had the high sides.....

Needless to say, the cat pees and poos in the litterbox now. The cat is old and very frail, but he faithfully uses that litterbox. Not one spillage outside of it!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Yep, that is basically the litterbox we made too mustangtrailrider! We cut a big black tote an entrance on the front and we have no more high-peeing incidents (esp when you take a lid off of a box - that got old!)

Domino was dropped off at the vet this morning. Hoping I do not have another kidney cat on my hands... Lost my CB 6 years ago now and it was heartbreaking - he was THE best cat EVER
    (later that year we got Buster from my brother, so I guess he is 12 now!)

Diamondindykin - we are not saying our material things are more important than the cat, it is our health and especially my son's that we placing above Buster. We gave up on doormats years ago, but it would be nice to have one at the back door for the muddy dogs! Now that he (or one of them) has taken to peeing on the big expensive rugs instead, we have a problem. Those are usually in bedrooms.
    We only feel comfortable putting him outside because we have a fenced yard (with 6' wood panels) and he stays in it. I would worry all the time with an outdoor cat.

We are fortunate that they don't do clothes, but we also don't leave that stuff on the floor. At most there are dog towels at the back door for cleaning feet.

I have two peeing cats too, in a household of 4. I think it really comes down to everyone trying to assert their dominance in a relatively small space (despite us building a big kitty tower outside, and our house being around 2200 sq ft). It got worse when I brought home the 4th, a kitten female who turned out to be pretty aggressive with the top boy cat.

For the most part, everyone works things out without peeing, but it definitely does happen. There are certain "hot spots" that we have to keep marked off, and have to make sure that laundry baskets or piles of anything soft are never left out.

So I feel your pain-nothing is worse than a cat peeing, and you having to deal with the smell of cat pee (because that stuff is a b***h to get out).

Have you experimented with your litterboxes and litter? Some cats don't like sharing and need their own. Some like covered, others hate the confinement. Some cats don't like the smell or texture of litter - some do better with the corn based or the recycled papers or just plain dirt. Is he declawed? Lots of declawed cats have trouble with litterboxes because of texture and/or pain issues. With his health issues it could also be pain - especially with UTI they can see litterboxes as the source of their pain and try to avoid them.

It can be very hard to figure out what's causing litterbox issues....good luck making the old man comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBGP View Post
    Have you experimented with your litterboxes and litter? Some cats don't like sharing and need their own. Some like covered, others hate the confinement. Some cats don't like the smell or texture of litter - some do better with the corn based or the recycled papers or just plain dirt. Is he declawed? Lots of declawed cats have trouble with litterboxes because of texture and/or pain issues. With his health issues it could also be pain - especially with UTI they can see litterboxes as the source of their pain and try to avoid them.

It can be very hard to figure out what's causing litterbox issues....good luck making the old man comfortable.
    Yep, been there done that We have stuck to Tidy Cats in the end...tried Fresh Step which is what he used at my brothers, even tried the flushable stuff. This one seems to work the best.
    I do think that sometimes he has more painful pooping episodes, he has had to be be on a laxative before because it is so dry...
    This one is the only one with all his claws - that is the way I got him and he was too old to want to change that, and well trained about it. He is supposed to be an excellent hunter, but we have yet to have him catch anything!

Vet called to get permission to run tests on Domino, now waiting for the results. He is 11, so also getting to be an old man but normally is our "healthy as a horse" cat that we don't worry about...
    Of course the one cat we don't have to worry about now is the oldest at 15! She had issues with crystals over 2 years ago and was put on a special diet and has been fine since.
    Last edited by paintedtrails; Jun. 7, 2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: forgot about claws