The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default raleigh CDI

I have heard (posted at show and on dressage daily's site) that the scores are available online immediately. I can't find them on the website; does anyone know where they are?

Check out the results for the regular show and the CDI here:

http://www.cdi-raleigh.com/ridetimes.shtml

Just click through to the class you are interested in. They update in real time.

thanks!

Default Fabulous GP Freestyles

It was wonderful to see such great rides tonight at the Raleigh CDI/Y/J Capital Dressage Classic. Although all the freestyles were very watchable and choreographed to music that took some chances, Susan Dutta's and hometown hero Jim Koford's were my favorite.

Anybody else go?

I watched with a group - loved all the rides, but especially thought the winning ride was lovely! I just wish there had been more competitors in the Grand Prix freestyle, but only because I would have loved to watch more!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

Loooveeeddd Robin Brueckmann's ride. Her music was awesome! I know she didn't do GP, but it was still a really good ride. Everyone watch out for the I-1 Freestyles today!

Live Scoring
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Some REALY low scores from one of the judges. Lots of scratches from those riding under her.

Seemed like a ton of scratches in some of the classes without obvious cause like bad weather. But not all under the same judge.

I too saw ALOT of scratches. Sometimes half the class scratched. I saw alot of low scores too. But, I saw several tests that I wasnt impressed with at all (lower level horses ridden by pros) and when I checked their score, they won the class with a nice score. So, it kinda seemed all over the place.

There were alot of really nice horses there showing the lower levels. I dont think there was one I wouldnt like to have in my barn.

agree about the nice horses. Quality has definitely improved.

Either the quality has improved or the people with mediocre horses aren't competing.

I didn't attend the Saturday night show with the musical freestyles, but what I heard was not rave reviews. What went on? Someone said parts looked like a bad medieval times? Many folks said the new management did not put on a good show and they were not going to attend next year.
    Horsemanship and the partnership, learn it, talk it, admire it, pass it on!
    "The Pony" Theodore O'Connor 1995-2008

We were there, got video of Robin with Timmy earlier in the day, and of her Freestyle with Sasha... and Elly's with Oyente... and possibly one other. Jim's Freestyle stands out in my mind, possibly because his music really suits Rhett. My impression was that the crowd loved all of it, and yes, probably would have loved more.

There was a bit of entertainment with two gentlemen in medieval garb... it was all in fun, maybe not the most scintillating performance, but it was brief.

I am so thankful for the people who put on shows like this, doing so is hard work. For some reason people are much more likely to pass on criticism than praise. Whatever imperfections, it was a very enjoyable weekend. I hope this show is around for years and years to come.

As for the Saturday night show...did you hear anything about the 82nd Airborne Division's All-American Chorus? They were pretty awesome. They opened the evening with the Star Spangled Banner while a color guard presented the American flag. And while we waited for the final results and the awards ceremony, they performed three more songs, finishing with "God Bless the USA" (the song by Lee Greenwood). I thought they were very good. The crowd certainly seemed to appreciate them!

As for the Grand Prix musical freestyles, there were only four this year, but they were pretty good with Susan Dutta winning on Currency DC.

This year is a qualifier for the Pan Am games, so the Intermediare class was the largest. The CDI was actually FULL, so the CDI turnout was great. I was sorry that the national part of the show (The Capital Dressage Classic) was down in numbers, but the economy has affected so many of our shows.

The Grand Prix horse numbers are larger when they need to qualify for the World Cup or the Olympics. This was not that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden View Post
    I didn't attend the Saturday night show with the musical freestyles, but what I heard was not rave reviews. What went on? Someone said parts looked like a bad medieval times? Many folks said the new management did not put on a good show and they were not going to attend next year.
    can you tell me more about how the management didn't put on a good show? am interested in going next year and would like to know why folks wouldn't want to repeat.

I don't get why people were so critical of the jousting exhibition (mostly via comments I've heard off the board) - I mean, look, the show's organizers were obviously trying to incorporate additional entertainment into the mix. Sure, it was different - but, I enjoyed it. It was obvious between the exhibition and the Airborne Division that the show's organizers were making an effort to entertain attendees. Ostensibly the stars of the show were the freestyle riders, but I appreciated the organizers' efforts. And I also think it's a little silly to mock the exhibitors - I'm pretty sure the day I try to pick up a humongous pole and try to mount my horse, I might get put on the ground. It's just a different sector of the horse world, and I hope the exhibitors don't feel they wasted their time.

I sure wish there had been more Grand Prix freestyle competitors, but I enjoyed what I watched. I have attended every year I can, and I plan to attend next year.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

I'm just a volunteer working behind the scenes but I was responsible for getting the "entertainment" for Saturday night. The 82nd Airborne Color Guard and Airborne Chorus are extremely popular and generally only go to very large venues like the Indy 500 or huge crowds. They travel all over the world as ambassadors for the 82nd Airborne and are themselves active duty Special Forces paratroopers.This is one of the very smallest events they have ever performed and because of our time constraints they didn't have the chance to do their other songs that include precision marching etc. If you have an opportunity to hear them I would definitely do so. They did us a huge favor to come from Ft Bragg to perform for us.

Regarding the Lance of St Anthony. They are a local group of soldiers and law enforcement guys who do this for fun in their spare time and compete at tournaments all over the country who offered to come for free so we would have something for people to watch while waiting for the scores to be done. On Monday before the show they called me to cancel as their most experienced jousting horse got a puncture wound in the pasture.

That cancelled the jousting portion which was the MAIN part of the exhibition as it takes a very long time to train horses to gallop straight at each other as you can imagine. Rather than simply have nothing they agreed to try to show some of the training with a much less experienced horse and rider. They are usually much better than this but you can't joust with one horse and as we wanted to keep the crowd-- which included a fair number of children--entertained they pulled something together in 4 days.

Was it what we had planned? No. But to their credit they didn't leave us with an empty arena, and I'm sure if this was what they did as a full time job as it is with the Medieval Times they would provide an equally professional show.

I hope this helps put that part of the evening's entertainment into perspective and of course as others have said, the freestyles were terrific which is the main focus anyway.

As an army brat, I really appreciated the choir knowing how much work they probably put in to each and every performance they do. They were some REALLY talented singers. And as for the medieval troop, those guys are doing that [I]on top their jobs[I]. Show a little respect for their effort! Sure, it wasn't cirque du soleil, but how many of the people making fun of them would get up in front of an audience of experienced horse people and do what they did?
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Perhaps had Raleigh had live scoring as the CDI's in Florida do, entertaining the audience would not have been necessary. The wait time for scores at a CDI *** was really inexcusable.

Stabling CDI horses in excessive heat inside a stuffy, low-ceiling barn, with no air circulation rather than using the outside stalls was ridiculous. Showed absolute disregard for the welfare of the horses. It was such a small show, that there was plenty of stabling to create another CDI barn and let the horses all have outside stalls.

This was no where near the quality of show that Raleigh used to be.

I want the show to be successful and huge and something that I can invite all my non-horsey friends to for an evening of celebrating the sport, so in that regard: can we turn the big ass fans on full blast?
    Because I DID invite all my non-horsey friends, but I felt the need to warn them that they would be sitting in a puddle of their own sweat for an evening.

Or if suggestions are being forwarded to the new management at the horse complex - what about smaller fans that blow on the audience, like the heaters?
    Last edited by Rhiannonjk; Jun. 8, 2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling