The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grey Ghost

Would appreciate any background on Grey Ghost as a sport horse sire. I'm probably the most anti-Mr Prospector in the sport horse business, but I also NEVER look at a pedigree until after the fact - phenotype is much more important than genotype. We just picked up a mare for eventing, kinda pretty until you put the tack on and then she's SPECTACULAR. Best mover on the farm - and we've got upwards of 40 horses - but her sire is Grey Ghost, so I'm stuck with a Mr. P. Her damline is Buckpasser and all the other best stuff, so my only concern is her topline. Would appreciate any feedback.

Not my week. Two new horses, both Mr. P, both literally beautiful (and straight!). Guess I can't get away from Mr. P or Cats if I continue to work with TB's. Doesn't really matter either way, as both are lovely and both will be developed - but if there's anything to know going in, it'll help.

I guess you're talking about a different Grey Ghost to the TB stallion who sired several international eventers including Stanwick Ghost? He was by Yellow God and born in 1972.

Do you mean Silver Ghost?
    If you do I'm jealous. I have one by Silver Music by Silver Ghost that I adore and have been looking for similarly bred OTTBs.
    Tough but athletic, and move fantastic. And built like actual horses.

oooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppppsssssssssssss ssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, silver ghost
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/silver+ghost

Personal opinion, I've known several amazing horses resulting from crossing Mr. Prospector with other sport-type TB lines. My dad's hunt horse is a prime example. He's solidly built, straight & correct; had 42 starts & placed in 22 of them - retired sound & clean at the age of 8 after 6 years of racing. Has 3 very nice gaits & a super jump. He is very smart, and once he figures something out he remembers it forever.

Sounds like you found a great mare - I'd love to see pictures of her!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

He may be lovely but....I have heard Silver Ghosts temperment is that of Halo....very difficult.