The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Picky eating cat--vent

She just doesn't want to eat anything except Fancy Feast. She'll try a few bites of this or a part of a can of that, and then she turns up her nose. She'll eat dry only when she doesn't like the non-Fancy Feast wet.

I've tried her on premium, premium wet food. I've tried on cheaper wet food. I've tried her on premium dry, and she will eat Call of the Wild dry; she'll pick at cheaper dry. She doesn't get cat treats of any kind, although she will eat cheese, cream cheese especially, but only a very few licks/bites. She takes a few laps at cream and she'll lick an ice cream bowl.

For what you get in size and not so good quality, Fancy Feast may be the most expensive cat food sold in the United States. Why won't she eat "better" food?

If one were to try to home cook for a cat, where are the recipes?

Is it that she is offered too much quantity at a time in the canned food, except for Fancy Feast? Once a can is opened, she won't touch anything from it after the initial feeding. If a cat only eats a few bites at a time, how often should she be fed?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

What if you just kinda....stop feeding her anything but what you actually want to feed her?

We foster kittens for the shelter and raise them on the crummy Friskies/9Lives/etc canned stuff, because it gets too darn expensive otherwise. Obviously they all love it and gobble it right up, disgusting kitty junk food. We kept two from the last batch, and they were promptly swapped over to "the good stuff," a grain-free canned food that our local pet store puts out as their "store brand."

The kittens refused to eat it. Refused! It wasn't tasty and juicy and disgusting like the Friskies! We swapped them over slowly, just altering the fractions of good vs. bad food slowly, and they left the "good" food without fail. Until it was ALL "good" food. And then they didn't eat for a day or two, just the dry. And then they decided that they were hungry, and wanted to eat wet...and the only option was the good food. So they begrudgingly ate it. A year later and they still choke down the good food while balefully staring up at us. Poor, poor tortured things! Like little kids being forced to eat their veggies!

Of course, if she doesn't EVER cave in and start eating, you're in trouble! But maybe if Miss Priss spends a couple hungry days she will cave to the idea of eating a better quality food? (Or heck, even a cheaper junk food!)

An animal never starved to death with a full bowl of food infront of it. I hear this kind of stuff from people all the time (same thing about kids). Let my tell you how it is my house. They eat what I give them because it's all they get. If they don't "like" it they will get over it when they ACTUALLY get HUNGRY. Put down what you want, she's aint gonna starve herself to death.

NOPE she will not starve. I have a Siamese (ok, go ahead and feel sorry for this DIVA)....LOL......but she had problems and has to have two types of meds in her wet foot 2X's a day. They are terrible tasting. But she is hungry. And does she eat? You bet she does!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Don't 'wait out' a cat. They aren't like dogs and NEED to eat. A few days without food is very, very bad for cats.

If she will only eat fancy feast, feed her 'fish and shrimp feast' While the others are crap, this one type is actually pretty good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

For a black/chocolate with black tips cat, she's a total nagger. I think she's part Siamese, because she talks when she wants something. And she gets physical with her nagging. She'll walk on the computer keyboard, sit on my neck, twine around my feet when I try to walk, jump on any table where I am sitting, and talk and twine. She generally makes a pest of herself when she's hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Don't 'wait out' a cat. They aren't like dogs and NEED to eat. A few days without food is very, very bad for cats.
    Yes, I just went through my kitty dieing from kidney failure. RIP Ginger - vet said "the most important thing is that she eats, if kitties don't eat they can have serious liver problems that are very bad, when she stops eating you know it is time. Their systems will shut down quickly without food."

My kitty would only eat friskies and fancy feast. I didn't feed her FF until the last few months when she wouldn't eat a lot of food- and the friskie cans were just too big. She lived 17 years old, and only in the last few months did she show signs of her age or illness. She went quickly, but lived a full happy life.

I am having great luck with raw liver (for dinner, breakfast is canned food). I cut it up, pour it into freezer baggies. I take it out 30 minutes before dinner so it thaws.
    It is quite rich, so I don't give a lot initially. If you overfeed in the beginning they might throw up.
    Best of all ? $2.19 feeds two cats a dinner meal for 5 days. No grain, no additives.
    I am not a home cooking type either.

My mother had a cat with Feline Leukemia that she kept going for years on raw liver strips. Cat was white, and when her pink nose started losing its color, out would come the liver strips until the nose got pink again.

My cat spends a lot of time outdoors and is a mighty huntress, so it's possible she's eating critters to go with her cat food.

ROFL! Fancy Feast must put something addicting in their food!

My cat would ONLY eat Fancy Feast. I tried much "better" foods and she wouldn't touch them. She lived to be 17 and her fur was still soft and shiny when we put her down.

Maybe just let her eat what she wants?
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    ROFL! Fancy Feast must put something addicting in their food!

My cat would ONLY eat Fancy Feast. I tried much "better" foods and she wouldn't touch them. She lived to be 17 and her fur was still soft and shiny when we put her down.
    Its like junk food for people. Lots of artificial flavors, fats etc. that taste great but aren't good.

Maybe just let her eat what she wants?
    Any canned food is better than no canned food Its best to get them on something healthy, but if they won't eat the crappy wet food is better than nothing, it still has lpts of water content.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I am having great luck with raw liver (for dinner, breakfast is canned food). I cut it up, pour it into freezer baggies. I take it out 30 minutes before dinner so it thaws.
    It is quite rich, so I don't give a lot initially. If you overfeed in the beginning they might throw up.
    Best of all ? $2.19 feeds two cats a dinner meal for 5 days. No grain, no additives.
    I am not a home cooking type either.
    that's a seriously unbalanced diet. Consider that the natural diet for a cat is a whole mouse- not much liver in there. Bones, muscle meat, heart, etc.